• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not complete your request because a SOFn, DQT ...

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.51.24.png

This is a weird message from Photoshop, could not open an image !!?

Could not complete your request because a SOFn, DQT or DHT JPEG marker is missing before a JPEG SOS marker.

what is that mean at first place !!! ... Im using MacBook and its up to date, photoshop version is 19, and it was working perfectly, I use it everyday to edit photos and so on.

Now I have one way to avoid this message by take a screenshot of the image and open it, but this is not a solution at all !

I don't know why this message is thrown by Photoshop.

is there anyone have a solution of this error !!!!!!

THANKS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

I have created a free and open-source tool to fix these issues with images. It is easy to use and fast.

Application works for Windows and MacOS as well.

Source code and binaries are available here: https://github.com/cdefgah/whatsapp-jpeg-repair

Instructions are displayed on the page link I provided above (check README.md file).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem sometimes with my Adobe Suite when I download WhatsApp images. I have a macOS Mojave, just in case this doesn't work in other OS.

If you want to import the image directly to Adobe Illustrator:

1. Download and save the image from WhatsApp.
  2. Change the file extension from ".jpeg" to ".heic" (Not ready to import to AI yet)
  3. Open the new ".heic" file in Adobe Photoshop
  4. Save as a ".jpeg" and set the quality needed
  5. Now you can use the picture in any of the Adobe Suite software.

It's super annoying to do this but until WhatsApp/Adobe solve the issue that's my way-out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this helps !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this it woks wonder,

1) open the image with paint select 'save as' and select .bmp

2) when the save as local window opens change the file name to anything and change the format from previously selected .bmp to .jpg and press save. Tada!!!

Now you can open it with photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this it woks wonder,

1) open the image with paint select 'save as' and select .bmp

2) when the save as local window opens change the file name to anything and change the format from previously selected .bmp to .jpg and press save. Tada!!!

Now you can open it with photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Access

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is work, i tried this, open the image file with paint, then save as .jpg file, i dont know why, but .JPEG and .jpg could make a different on photoshop, and try re-open that image.jpg. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If come with batch of Whatsapp photos,

i prefer use Lightroom to import and save as jpg file again in batch

(or other software that work well in batch save..)

After resave those photos work well in photoshop.

I have same problem here. I try every solution given on web whole day and this is what i think is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, for bugs and problems, it is always a good idea to open a thread on https://feedback.photoshop.com with details of the issue. I found a thread for similar problems, maybe vote and explain the issue...

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/jpeg-markers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey just found a fix to this error. Just save the file as .png using Paint or any other software. It worked for me.

Btw I wish you a very Happy New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this works on all Windows pc, but I tried this and it works for me.

1. Open your photo in photo preview.

2. Press edit, and then save a copy without editing it.

3. Right click, open with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://youtu.be/CxekU9heRAc                   Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, open image with Preview. From File drop-down menu choose Export and choose Jpeg -2000. Save. 

Open in Photoshop. Voilà! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have downloaded your jpeg file from WhatsApp, it may result in such errors upon opening this file in Photoshop.

I have created an open source tool for Windows and MacOS, to fix such broken jpeg files. You can check and download it here: https://github.com/cdefgah/whatsapp-jpeg-repair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a free and open-source tool to fix these issues with images. It is easy to use and fast.

Application works for Windows and MacOS as well.

Source code and binaries are available here: https://github.com/cdefgah/whatsapp-jpeg-repair

Instructions are displayed on the page link I provided above (check README.md file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping us out,

Does the repair tool identify the faulty jpgs and leave alone the good ones, else it means going through thousands I have trying each one in turn.

Also I dont want their dates changing else modified date column which is what I have all my windows explorer set to, will place them as if they are current files totally messing up my timescale view and wrecking my workflow, confusion will reign. They must display in the order taken. If I am told here to use date creation column, which I have never used since my first computer win 3.1,  all my work will be scattered up and down the screen and I wont see what is most current anymore , chaos.  The tail is wagging the dog, all due to Adobe.  Will this tool keep the original modified date which is crucial ?

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, there.

When you unzip application archive, there are two internal folders.

One with name: whatsapp-files

And another folder: fixed-files

You need to place broken files to whatsapp-files folder, then run the application, and take fixed files from

fixed-files folder.

Fixed image files in fixed-files folder will have modification date/time equal to date/time when you run the application.

Broken files you placed to whatsapp-files folder will remain intact as their modification date/times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated in previous reply, upon running the tool you are getting new files created. Broken files remain intact, but new fixed files created in fixed-files folder.

In the next version of the tool I will implement the feature you are talking about. And will post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Merlin.

Just now I've released the version 2.0 of my tool, and it supports the feature you are asking about.

By default the tool preserves the file modification date.

The tool is free and open source.

Check this link: https://github.com/cdefgah/whatsapp-jpeg-repair

Follow instructions on the page to download and use the application.

In case you have questions, feel free to drop me a line at: rafael.osipov@outlook.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

That is FANTASTIC, such a quick response and a solution for us all,

MANY MANY THANKS for that.

Its going to be a game changer for us all, .

Perhaps have a word with Adobe and have them incorporate it, and get some $$$$ to you for your efforts.

They have egg on face for not solving this, you wear the crown !

I have downloaded it and will try it out now.

Merlin3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help you, Merlin3. 🙂

In case you have any comments to this tool, feel free to contact me at: rafael.osipov@outlook.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Спасибо тебе, добрый человек!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no solution from Adobe itself such as plug ins or something? or I have to work twice: open another program then do the conversion then open it again in Adobe... wow... how much time rather than open directly from Adobe itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know there is no such plugin for Adoble product. My tool allows to process thousands of files at once, it is free and open source. As it works in command line/terminal it is possible to setup a pipeline/batch-file to process files before you launch Photoshop. I.e, in a batch/shell file run my tool to process files, and the next command launch Photoshop.

My tool is free and open source and has all proper documentation. Hope it helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the share!

Nobody posted problem files in the topic thread... I downloaded some images from your repo to see the error first hand:

https://github.com/cdefgah/whatsapp-jpeg-repair/tree/master/whatsapp-files

However, Photoshop opens them fine... So are these sample files processed by your app and fixed? Or is that Photoshop 2019 or later has resoved this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like recent photoshop versions have fixed this issue. But older photoshop versions can't open these sample files reporting the jpeg file header error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines