Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CR3 files not opening in either Photoshop or Lightroom

Contributor ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have some photos taken with a newly-released canon camera (EOS 200D Mark II) and the .cr3 files that it produces aren’t compatible with the latest versions of Photoshop CC 20.0.4 release or Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 Release (Camera Raw 11.2.1).

I understand that every camera raw file is different among the various camera models and Adobe may not yet support this one from my model but I wondered if anyone has any idea when it will work. Also is there some online file that I can check to see if it is supported or the timeframe in which it will be?

I’m literally stuck in my tracks here as none of the files will be usable.

Would really appreciate any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of Camera Raw 11.3.

The Canon EOS 200D II raw files should be supported in this update release of Camera raw.

This update includes new features, camera support, and bug fixes to some of the top customer reported issues.

What’s new

To update Camera Raw to 11.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Camera Raw.

More detailed instructions for updating

New camera raw file support added in this release.

Please let us know in case you you're st

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Photoshop (at this date) is 20.0.4 – is that what you've got?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Derek - yes I edited this post above and mentioned that I did have the latest 20.0.4.

Do you know why it’s not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the camera listed as supported?

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the list. So it seems it supports CR3 but not for my camera model. So I can’t move forward until they support it - is that how it works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera makers tend to create new RAW formats for new cameras and unless they cooperate extensively with Adobe or they allow shooting DNG Adobe staff may need to reverse-engineer the format and that takes time.

If you prefer processing RAW images with ACR instead of the camera maker’s proprietary software you might want to petition them to allow shooting DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did prefer ACR. With Adobe‘s DNG converter would that convert my CR3 files to DNG or does the converter need to support them first to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG Converter needs to have the camera be supported, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I’m stuck..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue comes up every time a new camera is launched. The problem is that the camera manufacturers package their raw files in a raw format such as cr3, but each camera file is unique. So Adobe have to reverse engineer the files to enable them to be added to Photoshop and Lightroom. I have no doubt this will happen and support will be added, but in the meantime you are stuck with Canon's own raw conversion software.

None of this would happen if the camera manufacturers used a standard such as DNG raw file output. Unfortunately, they all prefer to stick with their proprietary raw file formats.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon you let me know what Canon's raw conversion software is and does it effect the quality of the images? Also, if I have a large amount of images to convert, is there some automated way of doing this?

Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those that want the best quality images always shoot in RAW (if that's what your question was asking).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I meant "Can you let me know..." - not canon you let me know..

Anyway, I just meant that if I was using Canon's raw conversion software to back backsave a .cr3 raw file to an earlier version that Photoshop or Lightroom would support, I wondered whether that would have some negative impact on the image data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon's raw conversion software is Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP). You can use it to convert raw files to TIFF and then use the TIFFs in Photoshop. Personally I much prefer Lightroom and ACR for Raw conversions but until support is added for your camera, the Canon software does give you an interim solution when shooting RAW files.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying - much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry to come back to this issue but I wondered if someone from Adobe could let me know an approximate date when the raw files from my camera model will be compatible. It would just be helpful if I knew how long the wait would be.

Anyone from Adobe willing to reply??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

And if I understand correctly Adobe employees may not make statements about future releases for legal reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As cpfaffenbichler says, Adobe never give statements on future release dates. History tends to show that with poular camera models from the big manufacturers the wait is not too long.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I suspected that but just thought I’d try just in case! Thanks for letting me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of Camera Raw 11.3.

The Canon EOS 200D II raw files should be supported in this update release of Camera raw.

This update includes new features, camera support, and bug fixes to some of the top customer reported issues.

What’s new

To update Camera Raw to 11.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Camera Raw.

More detailed instructions for updating

New camera raw file support added in this release.

Please let us know in case you you're still not able to read raw images from this particular camera in this new version of Camera Raw. Also, we'd love to hear your feedback as it helps us to improve and do more.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good of you to give a heads-up on the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great - thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines