• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difference between Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC (2017)?

Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am completely confused by Adobe's designation of Photoshop CC vs. Photoshop CC (2017). Same with Illustrator and InDesign. Keep getting a pop-up on my map informing me that I have new apps to install. I have seem stuff video and blogs about Lightroom CC. Are they intentionally trying to make this confusing by calling a new application by the old name?

Does Photoshop CC have a cloud upload fee and backup routine similar to Lightroom CC?

If so, can I still backup to my hard drives?

Would Photoshop CC replace Photoshop CC (2017)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Hi

Just think of Photoshop CC as CC2018.  So it is a current version replacement for CC2017. Why the date designation was dropped I don't know.

Note : Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic are both current versions, the former being mainly cloud based and the latter desktop based.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photographers plan includes Photoshop CC2017/CC2018 and Lightroom and costs around $10 a month. Like all the Creative Cloud applications, they are downloaded to your computer and used in the normal way. Adobe checks (I think once a month) via the internet that you are up-to-date with your subscription. You can use it on two computers (not at the same time). They can be Windows or Mac versions or one of each version.

Here's details of the versions history: Adobe Photoshop version history - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, good day. I see you answered the question about: What is the difference between Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC 2017. My follow-up question to you is this: My Adobe Creative Cloud is updating my apps and it is updating both Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC 2017. Isn't that redundant to have both programs on one's computer? Can't I just uninstall one or the other? Thanks so much for your time. Christopher Soulé - down in Brazil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can uninstall the older version (confusingly the older one is CC2017 and the latest is CC). However, some choose to keep an older version around for a while just in case there are any problems running the updated version on their particular system or with their own plug ins.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have as many or as few Photoshop installations as you want going back to CS6, I personally just have CC2018

You can uninstall older versions from the Creative Cloud app

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you decide to uninstall earlier version(s) use the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app – see screen shot.

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 15.28.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just think of Photoshop CC as CC2018.  So it is a current version replacement for CC2017. Why the date designation was dropped I don't know.

Note : Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic are both current versions, the former being mainly cloud based and the latter desktop based.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not the only one who's confused.

Adobe has gone into some extremely confusing naming conventions lately.

The latest version of Photoshop (CC) is simply the version following CC 2017, and it should have been named CC 2018.

Adding to the confusion, the first Creative Cloud version of Photoshop was also called Photoshop CC.

Before the latest Lightoom versions came out, there was the perpetual version (LR 6) and the CC version (CC 2015).

LR 6 can still be purchased, but will not receive any more updates.

The version following CC 2015 is called Lightroom Classic.

Then there is an entirely new version of Lightroom (a different program altogether) which Adobe has named Lightroom CC (yes, the same name as the subscription version prior to Classic) The new LR CC stores all your images in the cloud, and has fewer features than LR Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines