• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Can't Edit Text/Type tool problems with Photoshop 22.0

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got the Photoshop update this morning, and the type tool is having issues. When I click in a text frame, it doesn't show the frame and I can't highlight the text. I can still edit the text, but there's no visual indicator of where the cursor is, where the frame is, etc.

Anyone else having this issue, and is there any kind of fix? I have to use text frequently in the graphics I create, and not being able to see where I'm working is going to be a pain.

[Moderator Note: Updated title, PS-57130]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.0.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top users reported issues. Check out the list of all fixed issues here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

To update Photoshop to 22.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

For help with updating, see Update Creative Cloud apps.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 143 Replies 143
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had any problem creating or editing within a text box until I updated to 2021.  Now I get the text box with that "lorem ipsum..." garbage, but I cannot highlight, edit or move anything within that text box since the upgrade.   I need to be able to do this.  What do I need to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can disable the placeholder text

2020-10-27 13_18_45-Preferences.png

There is issues with the Type Tool in the current version, more info

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an additional problem with the type tool. I'm experiencing the invisible frame, baseline, and highlighting on CMYK and greyscale images. But I'm also having a problem where transforming a text layer is EXTREMELY slow, while transforming a text layer along with another layer works as usual. Here's an example:

GIF 10-27-2020 7-20-25 PM.gif

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Using the latest version of Photoshop, Windows 10 Pro, i7-7700k, Sapphire Pulse 5700.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am experiencing this in CMYK files. Disabling GPU fixed it but the drop in performance really bugs me. I'm running a computer with 32gb RAM so I don't think it's because my computer is not up to par.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click into text, the cursor is not visible. If I drag to select, the selection is not highlighted. Because it's unclear where the cursor is or what has been selected, editing text is a nightmare.

2020-10-21_6-46-16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. That workaround resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off graphics processor worked for me, macbook pro 2012.

I am teaching Photoshop, so do you have any recommendations as to what to tell students? It freaked me out as a long time user, (like turning off frames in Illustrator which turns off the highlighting).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was a grayscale image too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue. All that workarounds disabling the GPU doesn't make sense!! the issue is only when using Grayscale mode or CMYK. in RGB Mode it works fine. Adobe should fix that asap it's very annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue. Trying to work on a newspaper ad project - document is CMYK.

Toggling CMYK to RGB to CMYK again doesn't work - and it flattens the image anyways essentially eliminating my workable layers of the project I already started.

Disabling GPU isn't working either 😞

I wish I didn't install 2020. That was a bad idea. I can't complete this work project now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thomas... uncheck "Flatten Image to Preserve Appearance" in Covert to Profile settings. This will keep your layers.

As for text highlight issue... tried work around several times, and no luck if I restart and turn GPU back on. Working with GPU turned off is not a fix, it's a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unckeck.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem Adobe. I was working on a file on PS 2021, tried it on PS 2020 VIOLA, sooo you know 2021 is bugged. Please get it fixed same issue me and my teamates had when we migrated from PS 2019 to 2020..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click on Ctrl+K and then go to Performance then uncheck Use Graphics Processor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can verify the same problem in the latest PS CC version 22.0.0 on Windows 10 as well, and just as in the Mac OS version, disabling GPU will solve the problem, this should be considered a high priority case and be fixed ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, Photoshop 2021 and Mac running Catalina...  A very, very, very annoying situation I must say... So I read here to desable "Use Graphic Processor" and the trick also worked for me. But it would be good if Adobe could verify the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, only on CMYK mode, switching to RBG fixes it but going back to CMYK brings the problem back, tried the GPU "fix" but didn't work, this is very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, Adobe, you have to realize asking people to turn off GPU acceleration or changing the color mode on PRINT documents from CMYK to RGB is not a tenable solution.   I've been experiencing this problem since updating from PS2020 to PS2021.   Both the above solutions worked, but both also make the core PS product very difficult to work with.   Try running a huge multi-layer PS file without the GPU turned on.  Yeah.  Pretty awful.   And if you're working with print materials, RGB is useless.   You need CMYK for print.   This has been an issue FOR WEEKS and still no patch.  (Or did I miss it?)  And let's face it, this is a bug in one of the apps core editing tools, not some obscure filter.  How did you miss this???  I'm paying for the full creative suite out-of-pocket, and this bug is definitely adding to my cost of doing business, not decreasing it.  When will a solution be ready?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue Adobe ! 

This interrupts my workflow, meeting a deadline for a client... back to my old PS version I go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX THIS NOW ADOBE! THIS IS PATHETIC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the time being, Just disable the GPU acceleration and restart Photoshop, It seems to do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same trouble

With the "use GPU" checkbox is on:
- cursor is not displayed;
- selected text is not highlighted;
- text frame borders are not displayed.

Restarting and rebooting doesn't help

Photoshop Release: 22.0.0

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-661 3.33GHz
RAM: 16GB
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. The fix mentioned fixed it. But I have a gnarly fast video card and not being able to use it as my graphics processor is unfortunate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines