How do I disable the new 'Save as a copy' feature in 22.4.1?

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why this bizarre new addition was ever added. I just want to be able to save my files in any format without having to go through multiple extra clicks. It's adding a heap of extra time to my workday.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why this bizarre new addition was ever added.

It's all explained here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

It's an Adobe workaround due to a change introduced by Apple to the operating system dialogue box.

I don't know any way of disabling it. It's a few extra steps we're all going to have to get used to until Adobe can come up with something better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Call me crazy but you'd think a developer like Adobe could find a workaround for this. Surely Apple removing the API isnt the be all and end all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to talk to the Adobe engineers to get a more definitive reply

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's the Apple API.  The Open and Save dialog boxes can't go against what the OS allows for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a few extra steps we're all going to have to get used to until Adobe can come up with something better.

Or one can just use Scripts to save the copies (if there is a limited number of formats and settings one uses regularly at least). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to be able to save my files in any format without having to go through multiple extra clicks. 

What multiple extra clicks are you talking about specifically? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a button to click where you used to click a pop-up menu.  To avoid this, use File > Save a Copy from now on and it's as it was when you were using File > Save As.  You may have noticed that when using Save As that "Save a Copy" was checked automatically in the prior Save As dialog box.  

The best practice for saving a PNG or JPEG is File > Export.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Save a Copy is basically previous Photoshop versions Save As  but it may add " copy" and is the only way Photoshop cans save some Image File formats.  The support for DCS EPS, Photoshop PDF and Photoshop RAW are no longer in Save As.  So you should  disable Save a Copy.   However you do not have to use Save a Copy to save a flat Image File format from a Layered document.  You can use and action or script  to do the save as. 

Photoshop installs some scripts that can save image file types that Adobe feels users would want to save like Export Layer to Files, Export Layers Comps to files. Not all Image File types are supported however 8 image file formats are.   Since all the code to do the saveFile exits in these scripts.  I reused the code in Export Layer to Files to create a script "Save As"  to use instead of Photoshop  menu Files>Save As... .   I can use menu File>Scripts>Save As...  even set shortcut Shift+Ctrl+S to File>Scripts>Save As...

image.png

macOS 11 may get in the way on a mac but I use a PC....

ChangesSaveAs.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines