Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open multi-page tiff in Photoshop CS

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

A scientific software that I use generate a multi-page tiff file. I want to load it into Photoshop, but the problem is that my Photoshop only recognizes the very first page and only one image appears.

I did some research and it seems Photoshop does not support multi-page tiff fully.

Currently I use Acrobat to import a multi-page tiff file and split it into multiple tiff files by exporting, but it's a pain in my a.

I wonder if there is anyone who found a better way.

Thanks,

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had occasion to solve this problem directly with Photoshop, but one way I have been able to see multiple page TIFF pages is through the freeware viewer IrfanView.

Trouble with IrfanView is that it, I believe, will only open 8 bits/channel images, and color-management may not work out the way you want depending on how you get the image into Photoshop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not currently support multi-page TIFF.

(I've tried, and the variety of ways people can put multiple images of different sizes, depths, and color modes into a single file makes it complicated)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys. Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get my free TIFF extension plug-in from http://www.de-eds.com/ExtraTiff.htm
It detects multiple-IFD TIFFs, and allows you to select one to open. Photoshop doesn't support displaying more than one image per file, so you'd need to close and reopen the TIFF to view another image. It will tell you how many Image File Directories are in the file.
It also supports composite halftones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a interesting plugin, but unfortunately the download links seem to be broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can open it on https://www.photopea.com/ and work on each page as a separeted layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found that Fiji/ImageJ (i use ImageJ2 v. 2,3,0/1,53f) also opens multipage TIFFs. And let that be the app that I use to analyse my image data with. 😄

DK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ImageJ was going to be my suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is the application to use for muli-page documents. You can add TIFFs (but PDFs might be better), you can add additional text, such as headings, captions and folios and export the document for printing or for digital publishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Derek for your reply. This tip may help me in other parts of my project. The multi image TIFFs I work with are microscopy images. Every 'page' of the multipage is an image layer just half a micrometer higher than the previous layer. I will analyse each layer and hence I want to separate them. But as I said, ImageJ will do the job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ImageJ is designed for working with scientific images. There is a community of users who have extensions and scripts etc plus a lot of knowledge if you need help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines