Highlighted

Impossible to Disable "Save as Copy" in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am unable to uncheck "save as copy" in the save as box for good.

Every time I do the save as command it is constantly checked.

I haven't found any ways to disable this from the preferences.

I am using the latest updates in Windows 10 and Photoshop CC.

Looking forward to your help, thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Impossible to Disable "Save as Copy" in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am unable to uncheck "save as copy" in the save as box for good.

Every time I do the save as command it is constantly checked.

I haven't found any ways to disable this from the preferences.

I am using the latest updates in Windows 10 and Photoshop CC.

Looking forward to your help, thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 21, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a file that does not support layers then you add layers and try to save in the same format Save as Copy will be checked. The only way round it is to use Layer>Flatten Image first.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ...

But this sounds pretty unsatisfying and appalling for the workflow !

I used to work with Mac for a decade and I never had this kind of issue !

Why such a simple thing cannot be fixed for Windows 10 ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I am ONLY using PSD files that should support layers !

Also I have a friend that is also using Photosho CC 2018 with Windows 10 and he doesn't have this problem !

When I want to save a PSD file with the "save as command" I can see two other file formats "PDD" and "PSDT" in the same row, please see the preview attached.

Are these file formats those that do not support layers ? Can I disable them from the "save as command" ?Save-as-command-problem.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 0
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Now that you have given further information - that does not look normal. Opening a PSD and using Save As - should not result in the Save as Copy being checked (the Save as Type options shown as PSD,PDD and PSDT, in your screenshot,  is normal*).

When Photoshop starts behaving abnormally , it is worth resetting Preferences. These include more than just the user preferences and are saved every time Photoshop closes - so can become corrupt. To reset - go to Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit and then close and restart Photoshop.

* PSD is the normal Photoshop document format, and PSDT is for saving a template document.PDD is an older filetype from PhotoDeluxe little used these days

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 2
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just resetted all my preferences and the problem is still the same ! 😞

What to do next...?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save-as-problem.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just resolved the problem myself.

When I did the save as command via the panel menu"File / Save as", there was no problem.

Then I checked the shortcuts that have been created for "save as" and there are two of them :

SHIFT+CTRL+S (this is made for the "normal save as")

ALT+CTRL+S (this is made for the "save as copy")

So by deleting or just by not using ALT+CTRL+S command the problem is solved.

This command cannot be changed to anything else.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear davescm,

Would you have a solution for another problem I am facing at the moment.

I have already posted it to this forum ...

I am facing many issues concerning the brush size shortcut. I am using Windows 10 and with Wacom Intuos Pro.

I used to work with Mac and I was able to increase/decrease brush size and hardness with a simple shortcut ALT + dragging the pen right/left or up/down.

On Windows 10 this seems possible only by creating a shortcut for the Wacom pen (CTRL+ALT+RIGHT CLICK) in the Wacom Desktop Center's pen settings.

However, despite adapting to this, I am STILL unable to change the brush size when using filters such as Liquify as well and Camera Raw etc.

I am really looking forward to your help.

Thank you in advance,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 0
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found over time that uninstalling and reinstalling the Wacom drivers address most issues, especially after operating system or program updates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Might sound silly but how shall I uninstall my Wacom Intuos Pro completely without having any system errors and so on ?

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 0
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've not been able to get that Alt shortcut working with the Wacom here on Windows - (although it works with the mouse ). To be honest I just use the [ and ] keys for size and the number keys for opacity, but I understand that may not be convenient for all.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same sh*t! It always worked with Save As (Ctrl+Shift+S), now it's making a copy every time. Why fix something that works good already? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0