Highlighted

Layer Panel keeps collapsing on its own??

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just recently switched over to CC from CS6, so I'm still wonky on a few things regarding CC. One thing that especially bothers me is that I usually have the brush, color and layer tab opened and docked at all times. But when I switch between the Color and Swatches tab in my tab group, the Layer panel suddenly collapses completely unprompted!!

I'd have to click on it again to maximize it again, this didn't happen in CS6 and I wanna know if this is fixable or not cause I don't want to have to physically reopen the Layer tab every single time I switch between Color and Swatches Tab. Please help me!!

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Layer Panel keeps collapsing on its own??

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just recently switched over to CC from CS6, so I'm still wonky on a few things regarding CC. One thing that especially bothers me is that I usually have the brush, color and layer tab opened and docked at all times. But when I switch between the Color and Swatches tab in my tab group, the Layer panel suddenly collapses completely unprompted!!

I'd have to click on it again to maximize it again, this didn't happen in CS6 and I wanna know if this is fixable or not cause I don't want to have to physically reopen the Layer tab every single time I switch between Color and Swatches Tab. Please help me!!

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is this option enabled in preferences by any chance

2020-01-12 14_24_28-Adobe Photoshop 2020.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked and it isn't :'((((

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post screnshot with problem visible?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

This is how I rearranged after getting CC, both Layer and Brush panel opened.

Capture2.PNG

But when I switch to the Swatches tab, as you can see, the Layer panel has collapsed.

Something I also realized after posting the question is that in while the Swatches tab is active, the Brush and Layer panel can't be opened at the same time. If I click on the Layer panel again after it collapses, it would open the Layer tab AND collapse the Brush panel, and vice versa. This is really annoying and if you can help me, that'd be awesome, thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi June

Ged has mentioned one issue it might be. Since it happens when you switch between Color and Swatches, a second possiblity is the there is not room (heightwise) to display all of your panels, and one of those two is longer than the other — forcing the bottom group to collapse.

• You can reallocate space between the groups by dragging
  • You can move some panels to a second Dock
  • Double-click the title bar to maximize/minimize a panel
  • Run PS full screen if it is not. If you have a small monitor, you have to make adjustments.

If we are both wrong, post a screen shot.

~ Jane

1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane, but I'm sure I've made appropriate readjustments to the size of the panels to comfortably fit them all. I don't know if I'd need to do something to make it stay that way or if that's just how it is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi June,

You're welcome. When you switch from Color to Swatches and they are different sizes, the panels that are underneath will adjust automatically.

One thing I can think of that might help is to rearrange the panels and save a new workspace. Here's what I did, although you might want to modify it to work best for you:

• Drag the Swatches panel to the same Dock as History
  • Resize Swatches to the desired height
  • Close the Swatches panel as in the screen shot on the left
  • Create and name a new workspace using the Workspace Switcher or Window > Workspace > New Workspace
  • Click Swatch icon to expand or collapse the panel. Your Layers panel should stop collapsing.

You might prefer other arrangements of your panels. This Help files tells you how to move and arrange panels and create custom workspaces.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/workspace-basics.html

~ Jane

1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can not manually reallocate space to make things work when switching between panels then there isn't anything hiden in peferences that can help you. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you found a solution but I have had the same problem irritating me for a long time.
Right click the Layers tab while it is collapsed/minimised and hit Expand Panel. You never find it because you probably try finding the setting AFTER you have expanded it like I did; so if its expanded, hit Minimize, and then Expand Panel afterwards. I assume it will keep after you save workspace but no promises.

Pi_0-1589252753733.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering whether there's new information on this subject.  My layers panel frequently auto-collapses as well.  Also, Photoshop always launches with the layers panel collapsed.  While it is a minor issue to bring the panel back (I just click it), it's still an irritant.  I want photoshop to launch the way I like using it.

Thank you,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines