Highlighted

M: Photoshop 21.1.3 freezes when using Adjustments on macOS (Rulers enabled)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I thought that the problem when using intensity/contrast in adjustments (it is extremly slow to the point I think the computer freezes) was solved by restoring preferences and restoring warning messages, but as it turns out the problem is still there! Turning of the graphic card processor helps maybe a little (one or two times) but then there are other issues such as I can't use the filter "lightning effects". The problem is there wether I work on a big or small file. The only thing I can upgrade on the computer is to the OS Catalina.

Computer :  OS Mojave 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27, 2019), processor Intel Core i9, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, 

Radeon Pro 580X 8GB.

Please need help!

/Jan

{Moderator note: PS-48654

Thread title edited}

Correct answer by RWSwink | Community Beginner
ADOBE released an upgrade today that fixed this problem. I tested it and it works fine.
TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

M: Photoshop 21.1.3 freezes when using Adjustments on macOS (Rulers enabled)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I thought that the problem when using intensity/contrast in adjustments (it is extremly slow to the point I think the computer freezes) was solved by restoring preferences and restoring warning messages, but as it turns out the problem is still there! Turning of the graphic card processor helps maybe a little (one or two times) but then there are other issues such as I can't use the filter "lightning effects". The problem is there wether I work on a big or small file. The only thing I can upgrade on the computer is to the OS Catalina.

Computer :  OS Mojave 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27, 2019), processor Intel Core i9, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, 

Radeon Pro 580X 8GB.

Please need help!

/Jan

{Moderator note: PS-48654

Thread title edited}

Correct answer by RWSwink | Community Beginner
ADOBE released an upgrade today that fixed this problem. I tested it and it works fine.
TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 20, 2020 16
147 Replies 147
New Here ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone
My photoshop (21.1.3) on MacOS (10.15.4) lag and then freezes every time i use hue/saturation and brightness/contrast, some other image regolations options lag but doesnt freeze the program.

It let me tune just few parameters (while heavily lagging) and then the regolation window freeze letting me to move it but can't close it. all i can do is right click on PS icon and forcing to close.
I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it again from the CC and restart the mac but the problem persist.
I changed nothing in the system or in the PS preferences and that started happening yesterday.
This happens with big or small files alike.
any solution? 
Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 17
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Edit: In the meantime it has been confirmed that this is a bug and the work-arounds seem to be hiding the Rulers or moving the dialog window off the image window. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 5
New Here ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow thanks! it seems it worked for now. never thought to fix preferences as i've not touched them for a while

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiding Rulers worked for me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had same problem with last update. This worked as a tempary work around. Turn rulers off and keep dialog to side of image.

Hope this issue is resoulved soon 🙂

Thanks for the fix!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off rulers worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're still running 21.1.3. This issue was fixed in June in version 21.2.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately the problem persist, even if i restore settings...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done that, helped for a few minutes, then it was back to crashing again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Only for a few days now. I just lost an hour of work because of it. Anxious to see it fixed soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020 2
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. On Mojave 10.14.6. Have wasted several hours on it, no resolution yet. For what a subscription costs I would not expect to have these sorts of issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 2
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a »solution«: Hide the rulers. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rulers come back every time you start working on another file. Turn them off in one, and they appear in another file.

It is also difficult to work without the rulers. Rulers play an important role.

Adobe software has been extremely unstable in the past two years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then when you force quit, the program icon just bounces in the doc when trying to reopen the program.

So now I have to close all the programs I am working on and restart.

For professionals working on deadlines - this is hugely problematic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 3
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then... after restarting your computer, Photoshop doesn't recover the file that you were working on at the time when the program froze.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue for a few days now! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Pete Green’s post: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-1-3-hue-saturation-dialog-box-bu...

The work-arounds seem to be hiding the Rulers or moving the dialog window off theimage window. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought resetting Preferences worked, opened up PS and used the Hue/Saturation once without error. Then used it again, crash!! 

I've resorted to importing the image into Lightroom to adjust colour settings there. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you hide the Rulers? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only seen that 'workaround' since.  But now I'm currently reinstalling the previous version of PS. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I having the same problem! 

Have tried the suggestions mentioned in the thread and its still freezing when I adjust hue/saturation or brightness/ contrast. It works fine when I adjust the levels though? 

Super frustrating if anyone has fany new ideas or has figured out how to fix this pls let me know

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it freezes even with the Rulers hidden

If you can reproduce that you may want to add your observations to the existing Bug Report (along with your System Info). 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-1-3-hue-saturation-dialog-box-bu...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alguien que hable español y que pueda ayudarme a instalar creative cloud por favor?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. It seems everytime there is an update we get another bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here.... PS freezes and I have to force quit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you hide the rulers? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hidden rulers and problem solved! anyway I'm tired that every update there's a bug to solve

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid that may the price for the program’s complexity.

edited 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what a hefty price that is!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes im having the same issue, no matter what i try, it crashes on hue / saturation or brightness / contrast! Please say theres going to be a fix soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here...just trying to use the saturation or brightness and i get a half-freeze of ps. I just can drag the dialog through photoshop but can't use the app. So I need to close photoshop. That's hard - what's going on with all these updates? I don't get it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In preferences > performance > I unchecked ‘ use Graphics Processor” and it helps, no problems anymore.
And use rulers normally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems disabling rulers and moving the pop up window out of the artboard view before changing any settings seems to work. But a bug they need to fix asap.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea but on my system (Mac Catalina) i get the same issue. I'm now using the levels tool to edit the brightness etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you sh*tting me? yearly updates causing more bugs than productivity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the workaround.  Hiding rulers worked for me.  I was also having the freeze when usuing Hue/Sat and Replace Color.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with hue and saturation. Preferences does not correct the problem. Only began with latest upgrade. Is there a way to go back to an older version so I can get my work done?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was wondering the same thing. I have to force quit each time and it is agravating. I want my prior version back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hust hide the Rulers already. 

But you can revert to an older version if you prefer; just make sure you have all your custom presets backed up. 

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 08.02.13.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my huesaturation window does not freeze when I use the presets (up on top in the frame) instead of the common three rider lines in this window which often are sufficient for me. But the problem is serious...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the previous version and the Photoshop problem is solved.
I suppose we should expect them to fix this bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it ridiculous to be even discussing this. How is it possible that Photoshop freezes when trying to use a "basic" tool such as Brightness/Contrast?! Even free apps can do that without a problem... and I'm paying monthly to waste my time like this? I work with this apps.... is Adobe going to respond for my client's and my time and money wasted trying to solve this? (I shouldn't be having to try anything because this shouldn't be happening!!!). I try to correct the Brightness/contrast of a picture and the whole thing freezes, no button responds and the only option I have is to Force Quit the application.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 4
New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for the rulers... why should I have to hide them... I use them and need them.... why can't Adobe fix this or reimburse me partially for making me pay for a fully funtioning Photoshop which is not true.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hiding rulers did NOT work for me but restoring preferences did. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 1
Explorer ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied