• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Pages in one TIF file

Participant ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brother sent me a TIF file that had multiple pages within it.  I never knew this was possible.  Is this something that can be done in Photoshop then converted to a TIF file?  Once I opened the TIF file, it allowed me to flip from one page to the next so the pages weren't all scanned side by side.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A layered file can be saved from Photoshop as psd, psb or tiff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know about Photoshop layers, but I didn't know tiff's could be more than just one image contained in a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the images you refer to Layers or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a four page image in one file.  I'd attach it, but it's a legal document that I don't want to share with the world.  I might be able to erase some of the information in it.  I've been working with TIFF files for many years and I've never seen one like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think I’ve ever handled such a file.

But according to Wikipedia pages are a possible feature of tiffs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format

Is this something that can be done in Photoshop then converted to a TIF file?

The Photoshop Reference makes no mention of multi-page tiffs, so I doubt Photoshop can create them.

Quote:

Tagged-Image File Format (TIFF, TIF) is used to exchange files between applications and computer platforms. TIFF is a flexible bitmap image format supported by virtually all paint, image-editing, and page-layout applications. Also, virtually all desktop scanners can produce TIFF images.

TIFF documents have a maximum file size of 4 GB. Photoshop CS and later supports large documents saved in TIFF format. However, most other applications and older versions of Photoshop do not support documents with file sizes greater than 2 GB.

TIFF format supports CMYK, RGB, Lab, Indexed Color, and Grayscale images with alpha channels and Bitmap mode images without alpha channels. Photoshop can save layers in a TIFF file; however, if you open the file in another application, only the flattened image is visible.

Photoshop can also save notes, transparency, and multiresolution pyramid data in TIFF format.

In Photoshop, TIFF image files have a bit depth of 8, 16, or 32 bits per channel. You can save high dynamic range images as 32-bits-per-channel TIFF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in September 2011 Photoshop did not support multi-page TIFF, maybe that has changed however.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3916784

Could you open the tif with Photoshop or did you use another application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked out the link so at least someone else has experienced this.

I just opened the file in PS CS6, but it only shows one page.  It took PS a while to load the file.  Since this is a legal document, I'm assuming they were generated from software that lawyers use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I can’t offer more insight, hopefully someone more knowledgable will drop by with current news on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I was mostly interested in how it could be created and I thought it might have been done in Photoshop.  I don't think anyone else would be interested in doing this except lawyers.  Windows Photo Viewer will open it and has Next buttons to view the other pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked my brother where he got those TIFF files from and he said he did them himself using Microsoft Office 2010 then chose the TIFF format when asked.  He used his all-in-one printer to feed the pages.

I'm assuming he used the Microsoft Document Scanning software or one of those other free addons with Office.  Personally I prefer to scan into Adobe Acrobat instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file with Windows Photo Viewer and at the bottom you will see "Page 1/24" (or whatever) on the bottom.  You can scroll through the document that way.  For me I just wanted two sheets but Photo Viewer will only print the entire document, so I printed to Adobe PDF and printed what I needed (or you can export) from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this may help.

http://tiffsplitter.codeplex.com

You can split your tiff file using this and can open it separately in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just ran across the same issue today. I right-clicked the file and Convert to Adobe PDF. Windows Photo Viewer also worked well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines