• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

my photoshop 5.5 does not work in Windows 10? Why?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My old Photoshop 5.5 does not work in Windows 10, is there anything i can do to make it work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Are you talking about PS 5.5 that was release 16 years ago? While I think I've heard one person say they got that working, it is such an old program that it is not meant to run on modern OSs. It's a 32bit program, and I believe you have to have your hard drive partitioned off to be under 1TB, or it won't install. There is also the consideration of folder names. The default is to load programs (at least in Win) into the c:\program files folder, which is meant for 64 bit programs. PS 5.5 needs to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

In case your wondering, photoshop 5.5 and ImageReady 2.0 do work on windows 10.

Though i think going back to windows 7 is probably good until microsoft gets some of kinks worked out in windows 10.

Screenshot (100).jpg

Screenshot (102).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for that inconvenience.

It is actually not never tested in Windows 10.

But a few customers are actually using CS5 on Windows 10.

Are you not able to install it at all or is that not launching ?

Is that giving you any error message ?

Regards

Jitendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a upgrade from Win7 to Win10 and the program only open the frontpage but not så you can work in it. The program is in Swedish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program just say, its not answer. Can do something to make it work.

In another computer with Win8 does the program works perfectly fin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please try to uninstall and re-install that.

I believe that should fix it

Link to download CS55 : https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-5-product-downloads.html

Regards

Jitendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try to do that. But must I use the link? Can´t I use my CD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

CD is OK as well, but I will recommend that link.

Regards

Jitendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not work to install it again, the program did not open. And i did not work to install true the link.

Thanks for try to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I did not get that.

Are you not able to download ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have try it again, now i can install but i have a major problem, the serial number i have is both letters and number, so

the install from the link you gave me does not work. Anything I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my photoshop 5.0.2 was working perfectly on my computer when i had windows 8.1.  then i install windows 10 and poof no longer working.  i tried to reinstall it but all i get is the autorun screen from the disk and then when i click photoshop nothing happens.  i am really annoyed at this...there has to be a patch or something to get this to work.  PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why must there be a patch? Photoshop 5 was released 17 years ago. There haven't been any patches since the millenium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look obviously i am need of help.  i am not a techy and really want this to work.  any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to Win 8. I never upgrade my OS unless I get a new computer. There are just too many issues with updating. If it works, don't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but if you really are trying to run a 17 year old Photoshop (if it really is Photoshop 5.02) there is nothing I can offer to help, and it is truly astonishing that it ran in Windows 8; I doubt you would succeed with that again. I can give you advice, too late, that you can't expect to upgrade systems without upgrading software, so if you have important and expensive software you can't or won't upgrade, it's often better to freeze the whole system.  There is a $10/month subscription plan to get Photoshop today; it can no longer be purchased outright.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you expect it to work? Did Microsoft promise it? Did Adobe promise it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One expects the thing they purchased to work. It's not that complicated. Hardware - physical parts - breaks down over time, but there is no expectation that software would break down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote(...) , but there is no expectation that software would break down. 

By @Tre98C6

Software doesn't break down. You changed the environment.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about PS 5.5 that was release 16 years ago? While I think I've heard one person say they got that working, it is such an old program that it is not meant to run on modern OSs. It's a 32bit program, and I believe you have to have your hard drive partitioned off to be under 1TB, or it won't install. There is also the consideration of folder names. The default is to load programs (at least in Win) into the c:\program files folder, which is meant for 64 bit programs. PS 5.5 needs to be loaded into the (x86) folders, but it's installer has no idea about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is the program, I wrote it in the beginning of my my question, thought it was not so clear. It seems that I will not be able to use it then because it is so old. Are so accustomed to the program and it has been able to comply with all operating until now that win10 released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see a post from someone who got it working, but I'm not sure where that post it. I would not think it would be possible, but it might be. I think you would be much better off with a newer version of PS. There are so many great features in the newer versions, I can't imagine going back and using 5.5 again. I still have my CDs for it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll probably like the situation and get me a new version of Photoshop. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try copying the contents from your photoshop 5.5 cd to your desktop.

Then find the Adobe Photoshop folder

Right click on the Setup.exe and click on Run as Administrator

The reason for the confusion on your version, is a lot of people incorrectly call photoshop cs5/cs5.1 either photoshop 5 or photoshop 5.5, not realizing there actually were a photoshop 5 and 5.5, so people on the forum just want to make sure of the

version of photoshop your using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,  but I'm soon back to win 7. It's so much bugs in Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case your wondering, photoshop 5.5 and ImageReady 2.0 do work on windows 10.

Though i think going back to windows 7 is probably good until microsoft gets some of kinks worked out in windows 10.

Screenshot (100).jpg

Screenshot (102).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines