• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Bug: "Make shape from path" Playback

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In one of the recent updates of Photoshop (I'm not exactly sure which version), a new bug appeared related to the path-to-shape conversion.

More specifically it happens when playing back (via Photoshop actions or scripting) the "Make shape from path" command, that you can access via the "Shape"-button in the tool bar with a path tool selected.

The expected behavior is, that it will create a new shape layer using the active path. Using the button this also works fine. However, if you script this command or record it in an action, it only creates an empty shape layer.

Before my recent update this still worked fine (I was on PS2021 also, but not quite sure which version).

This bug is critical for any action, script or plugin using the command and makes them (fully or partly) unusable.

-------------------------

Steps to reproduce:

1. Draw a path
  2. Record action
  3. Click the “Shape” button (at the top in the tool bar, when a path tool is selected)
    -> Shape get’s created from the path
  4. Stop recording
  5. Undo a step
  6. Play the recorded action
    -> an empty shape layer gets created
TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you crate a path before you played the action? The action you recorded depends on there being an active path.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was aware of that. In the steps for reproduction I've posted above, step 5 was undo, to revert the path-to-shape-conversion and have just the path again, so that I can play the action with the same starting condition.

Apart from that, I also did the same thing via scripting, this was were I initially found the bug as one of my plugins stopped working correctly. In my code, a path was always created before the "make shape from path"-function was called.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2019 (20.0.6) Mac: Pass

CC 2020 (21.2.4) Win: Pass

CC 2021 (22.1.0) Win: Fail 

EDIT: Following Tom's lead, I have now added the specific version/build number in parentheses.

Looks like you'll need to create a separate bug report if you hope to have this appear on Adobe's radar:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/photoshop/5f5f2092785c1f1e6cc4086b

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CC 2021 (v22.0.1) Win: Pass

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines