• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paths always inverted wrong way

Participant ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scenerio: I use the pen tool to create a simple path. In the paths palette is shows up as a work path. I select the work path, then at the bottom of the path palette click on the "Load path as a selection" - and the selection is made on the image area. When I fill or paint, it floods the area OUTSIDE my path, to the edges of the image. To work INSIDE the path, I must inverse the selection, every time, over and over, all day long.  It did not used to be that way.

Does anyone know how to make the active area INSIDE the path, like it was a version or two ago ?

Many gracias.

Craig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Hi Craig

Look at the setting of the pen tool when you create the path - specifically this setting - it sounds like you have it set to subtract.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds glitchy...you may have inadvertently changed a setting. Try quitting and reset your Photoshop Preference File:

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold (hold down until you get a dialog box prompt) Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you startPhotoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig

Look at the setting of the pen tool when you create the path - specifically this setting - it sounds like you have it set to subtract.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, that is extremely helpful. I checked it out as a regular fill, and with painting. Combine Shapes is the correct setting.

Warmly, Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and same solution. Thanks Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You da man Dave, fixed it on mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tool Dave mentioned is where I solved this issue myself, except you may have to play around with the different settings of said tool. For my particular situation I found intersecting the shape areas to give me the desired outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG - I have been sitting here for hours trying to work out why my selection (path made using the Pen Tool) was selecting the outside border of the photo instead of the contents inside the Path.

You have just saved me many more hours - thank you so so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx man. You're breathtaking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the default?

I have the same problem with the "inverted" path when creating a clipping path for an .eps file, and was tearing my hair out until I found your solution.

Thank you for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, this has been bugging me for months — THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you made my day. thanks a lot dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you! That's been driving me crazy, fixed it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave! you solved my proble too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Dave!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has fixed mine. I've been just dealing with it for forever seems like. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you , you are great....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not working for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @melhabashy 

"Not working for me" is vague. Please clarify what is happening and post screen shots of:

• the options bar for the Pen tool
  • the Layers panel
  • the Paths panel

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I have a similar problem which has occurred a few times now. There seems to be different seetings for some shapes within the same path. On the small preview box some are coloured in white and behave accordingly, however some are not filled and get ignored, and if I extract them from this path, start a new path and paste them in, they behave inverted.

At this point is it possible to change the settings of these shapes or do I have to delete them and start from scratch (which I have done in the past and has been extremely time consuming). Attached are screens shots of the problem before and after trying to mask the path.Screenshot 2020-11-12 155214.pngScreenshot after masking.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late but in case anyone else finds themselves here - if you use the direct or pen selection tool (default shortcut is A key) to select different shapes in the path you can in fact switch each from combine to subtract shapes or vice versa and creating a selection from them should work as expected depending on the mood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Dave! You're an angel in disguise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I have the same problem as the original question from CmCDowell. I tried redrawing the (very simple) shape I need with the pen tool set to combine but I just keep getting the following message (see screen grab attached) when I try to invert the path. I want to be able to paint inside the shape. Any help very gratefully received 🙂 Thanks so much... Vicky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines