• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen pressure not working in the new Photoshop 2020 (21.0.2)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the new Photoshop 2020 on my Wacom Companion 2, turns out the pen pressure is NOT WORKING at all. However the previous versions (20.0.6 and 19.1.6) still work perfectly with the pen pressure. 

Has anyone run into that issue ?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

I have the same proplem ... version 20.0.8 worked just fine.

Win 10

Found solution:

create a file in "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings"
called
PSUserConfig.txt

with this text

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Update : With 21.2.2 you may need to remove the PSUserConfig.txt file

The latest versions are designed to work with Windows Ink and Adobe have made improvements in that area, many of the old bugs have been addressed. I've used Windows Ink here for the last year.

Remove the PSUserConfig.txt file and in Wacom tablet properties check Windows Ink.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 199 Replies 199
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad,

I'm also having the same problem, Im in photoshop version 21.1.2. on a mac.

The brush works well for awhile, then pen pressure cuts out. Then starts up again after a while. I'm going to follow this to see if there is a work aeound or an update.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chad! Good to know. I've since found that switching to the eraser on the pen, as other users have advised works for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a month since this post and nothing. This isn't a minor problem, it completely screws up the workflow of hundreds of your users, myself included. Also, the problem isn't isolated to when you leave Photoshop and come back. It also happens at completely random times in the middle of working. I'm using a Wacom Intuos Pro M on Mac OS Mojave. You gotta get this issue fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac Catalina 10.15.4 and I have the same problem. Using a Wacom Pro tablet on the new MacPro "Cheesegrater" with current Wacom Driver. Getting good workaround results by switching tools...I hit (L) for the lasso tool, then jump back to the brush (B) and the warning icons in the brush pressure panel go away and pressure sensitivty is restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue, I'll be drawing on my Wacom Cintiq 16, switch over to my internet browser from Photoshop, and when I return pen pressure sensitivity doesn't work. I've noticed that just clicking the current layer immediately fixes the issue until the next time I switch away. I hope someone can test this and see of it works as this seems a bit easier than the other solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cause of this issue (Pressure sensitivity loss on Mac): changing focus away from Photoshop and then back.

Workaround to avoid this or restore sensitivity without relaunch:  If you switch focus back to PS by using the stylus to paint, you'll experience this. Instead, switch focus back to PS via CMD+Tab.
Also, if you run into this, using the eraser end of the stylus will restore pressure sensitivity.

Bug fix for this should be out in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, same problem.

Out of the blue Pen Pressure stops working. I have to restart Photoshop to get it to work again.

Working on a MacBook Pro with Catalina.

HALP PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue except with Windows 10. Pen pressure will stop working all the sudden mid-painting. Sometimes freezes up. Also been getting a "failed scratchdisk" notification with them too. ONLY started happening after the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zombiy,

Try changing settings in your performance. I had a problem with only one
PSD that had the same issues as you described. I changed the performance
(used memory to 85%), closed some other large programs and all worked fine
after that. The PSD was 2,28Gb large so think that was the problem.

Mvg,
Peter Nies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible Mac work around

Using:

PS 2020 21.1.2

Mojave

Cintiq

Having issues with brush tracking. Specifically, the first dab of a stroke is maximum pressure then goes to regular pen pressure. For me "build-up" seems to be the culprit. brushes not using build-up (brush settings) seem to work fine as does unchecking build-up in the brush settings on brushes that are using it. Annoying and limiting but a possible work around for those having a similar issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That, unfortunately, is a separate issue that we're also working on fixing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I M GONNA BURN MYSELF ! nothing solves this stupid error ! same issue, same crisis here...

yesterday when i was drawing with xp pen deco 03, well on photoshop i was just give a break and start watching some tutorial on youtube when i got back on photoshop, pen pressure was not working ! 

I tried that scripts but in this version of ps those scripts dont work anymore. I deleted PS20 and download it back i thought maybe it could figure the problem but it didnt work too.

now i dont know what to do and clearly no one knows... can please someone solve this annoying error ? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is so weird ! i found a video in youtube and it was about windows ink in the tablet's driver. i couldnt choosethat manually but i set default then suddenly windows ink was active. then i open the photshop and pen pressure is working now !

i dont know how that box deactivated but now it is working ! i hope everyone can solve it this way !

PS version 21.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the notepad options are working for me either. I don't have the same folders as everybody else. When i go to ADOBE/ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 2020: There's no settingsfolder to put it in to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i found a temporary workaround.
I have a Cintiq 27QHD, when pen-pressure stops working i simply switch stylus, i have a second stylus in my desk. When i switch the pen-pressure works again, so no need to restart Photoshop-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that also worked for me (at least for now) is when the pressure stops working, if I flip the pen and use the eraser tool the pressure comes back -- for the pen as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as well. I just upgraded to an Intuos Pro Medium, and like everyone else, Photoshop WILL NOT recognize sensitivity. The text hack workaround doesn't work, enabling Windows Ink doesn't work. I've spent the last six hours trying to get it to work. uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted, reset preferences and settings, to no avail.

UPDATE: So, I thought I would try one last thing. I hadn't tried the Bluetooth option yet. So, I unplugged the USB cable, paired and pressure sensitivity is working now. Don't ask me how, but that must have triggered something in the driver maybe? Hopefully this might be of use to others having similar issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues with both the pen pressure turning on and off at random and I am getting angles when trying to draw any lines/curves...which also comes and goes at random. I am working on a Mac in Catalina and have the latest photoshop update as well as the latest Wacom Cintiq drivers. I have tried reinstalling photoshop and the wacom drivers (both old and new) several times and nothing fixes the problems. These issues have been going on for weeks and it makes it real difficult to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.  We just released 21.1.3 that fixes the periodic pressure loss on Windows as well as issues with Tilt/Projection.  We are still working on the issue on Mac where pressure sensitivity is sometimes dropped when switching focus away from Photoshop and then back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

© 200309_50212R_UPF_FSB_BlackEtchedLines_SD_0383_adHNLLL_Cropped.tif @ 83.4 (Layer 8, RGB8)  2020-05-20 16-34-26.jpg

I'm here to report that problem still exist on 21.1.3. Try to draw lines in slow speed which will make unintentional full pressure at the begnining lot easier. This issue is not present with 20.0.9.  I'm on Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That issue with the dots at the front of the stroke is a bug that's being worked on.  The current workaround is to Disable: airbrush-style build-up effects (button in the tool options bar at the top).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would suggest to remove the fix, and to update ot 21.1.3: see the release notes that mentions pen pressure: https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying this as a fix for Windows or Mac users? Also, that link is not for release notes, but rather troubleshooting broken fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the same issue is still there in 21.1.3 Update hasn't fixed it for me. 

I'm on a Mac OS 10.15.4 and Cintiq Pro 24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines