photoshop 2015 with artboards feature won't crop

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Photoshop CC 2015, created a new logo, and I can't get the crop tool to work. The artboard, named Artboard1, contains the four layers.

When I select the area around the logo and try to crop it, nothing happens.

I also tried to use the Trim tool to remove all space based on transparent pixels, and nothing happens.

I tried going back to crop settings in use before the 2015 update, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Hi RickRicholson,

That is the expected behaviour.

Once you have setup artboards, your image is now using an infinite canvas and thus, the crop tool doesn't do anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can manually resize an artboard and reposition my artwork within it, why can't I just use the crop tool to do all of that quickly like I always have?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is here. If you have a file with artboards

From file menu / Export / Artboards to files

From the pop up menu dis select Include Background in Export,

File type PSD

Check Export options:

Dis select Preserve Artboard

Then RUN

This creates new PSD files from each artboard. If you have 2 artboards in the file you will end up getting new 2 PSD files.

Which you can open and use CROP or MARQUEE tools.

For example remove background layer and crop a logo and save it as PNG with transparency. I was not able to do that

with artboards. Not sure how you can do that with Artboards. There is always a background. If anyone knows how to crop

transparent images from artboards please share.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Matt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is seriously infuriating to the point that i'll just use sketch in the future. thanks for saving me the monthly fee!

you can export artboards to files but you lose your guides.

horrific UX

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know I'm not the only one infuriated by this. This was supposed to be a 5-minute task, but now I'm digging through forums to... CROP AN IMAGE!! I hope Adobe has some sort of algorithm that picks up keywords like "awful", "horrible", "unbelievable" in their support forums, so they can put their attention on the features that are really causing their core followers to seek other solutions.

But you know, I have these kinds of issues with Apple as well, so, I guess that's life. $450 to replace a spacebar on the new MacBook Pro. -_-

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate Artboards!!!!

How do I get rid of them and turn photoshop back to normal?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Ok, looks like it's as simple as unchecking a box when creating a new image. So, hopefully that will be all I need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  personally love art boards. But I still don't understand why the crop function doesn't work anyway.

What am I trying to do? I want to crop and delete layers inside one of the art boards inside my project to save file size. But nope. Doesn't work. I guess that's too complicated.

Work around is to copy layers paste into a new PSD document that isn't an art board. crop and deleted then drag the elements back to the art board document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines