• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 flattening entire PSD files into a single layer - maintains large file size?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2019 has been the worst experience i've ever had using this program. Every single project, and i repeat, every single project i have worked on in the 2019 version of photoshop has had this issue and it's getting on my nerves.

The program is corrupting the files, and flattening the PSD file into a singular black layer. All of the layers and the actual image is GONE, all while maintaining large file sizes. Example:

https://i.imgur.com/UsPaWCe.png  <--- still 300mb  file even tho it is 1 layer, reminder the program flattened it into a black image, NOT me.

this happens to every file i work on, this was a bug that occurred on previous versions as well, but on 2019 version it's just way too frequent along with the crashes and other bugs i'm experiencing. it just sucks paying for this garbage experience, what do i do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same thing happened to me too. Wonder if there's a way to reach out to them about this,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem with the 2020 version. Mine though,shows a jambled 'static' of colors in the background layer.the background layer is the only one when I opened the file. Currently updating the software to check whether it's a bug. Imagine losing about a week's work? Save constantly my friends! And for good measure, Save As a copy in the end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a corrupted file, which is always caused by failing hardware. Usually it's a disk about to fail or bad RAM, but an often overlooked cause can be flaky cables or loose connectors, especially if you use external drives. A sudden bump can break connection for a microsecond, which is enough.

While you investigate to narrow down the cause, backup everything you need ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am frustrated by the PS feature that takes my layered files and flattens them. I need to make changes to PSD files and can't find a way. How can I disable this annoying feature and, more importantly, how can I get my Layers back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive seen this problem mulitple times over the past 15 years including today in 2021 using PS ver 22.2.  It sucks - your layers / hard work all mysteriously getting flatten into 1 layer forcing you to start over from square one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 23.0.1 release and every one of my files is doing the same thing.  Huge file size, flattened to a background image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have unfortunately just joined this club. 25 hours of work lost in a single moment. Now one layer, black, the same size as the original file. The PSD file had about 250 layers prior, then 1. I always save my work, but don't make a second file, but now I will start doing that. 20+ years working with PSD and this has never happened. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines