• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 21.1.2 : Ctrl-x has stopped working! Help!

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 🙂 Ctrl-x/cut has stopped working in Photoshop 2020 21.1.2 ! It was fine yesterday, but then it just stopped. I can't cut mask selections, I can't cut layers, I can't cut anything. The ctrl key still works, as does the x key. Everything is up to date. I've tried installing all avaialable previous versions of PS; I've uninstalled every other Adobe product; I've swapped keyboards; I've started PS up as the only thing running; I've updated graphics drivers; I've cleaned/purged temp files and the registry; I've manually deleted any and all legacy files left over from uninstalling stuff before reinstalling...but nothing's worked!

I know - in this current world climate - this problem is, perhaps, a tad trivial...but IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Ta x

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The first thing to look at is your Keyboard Shortcuts:

• Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application menus
  • Is your set the Default set, a modified Default, or a custom set?
  • In Edit > Cut, what does it say is the keyboard shortcut?

Let us know if this works.

~ Jane

6.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-2.jpg

Jane,

Thanks for the quick reply! These are my keyboard shortcuts. They're "as is" following a(nother) new install. None have been altered at all. I've since deleted the F2 option (which didn't work either), just in case it was causing a conflict (straw grasping?) but that didn't do anything! I have noticed though, that when I press the ctrl key with the Move Tool active, it toggles the Auto-Select option in the top bar. I haven't noticed that before (Maybe it always did it?) What a way to spend your Saturday 🙂 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joanne,

I am on a Mac and I think the F2 is okay for Cut on Windows, but don't worry about that now since it's not working. If you reset your Default tools later, it will come back.

Before Adobe put "Auto-Select" on the toolbar, Ctrl + Drag did the same thing, and it still works as it used to. I know that shortcut has been there for as long as Creative Suite, and I still prefer it over having Auto-Select on all the time.

Here are a couple of thoughts:

• The next thing to look at is if another application is causing a conflict and taking over the shortcut. When did this start? Was anything recently installed when it started?
  • Try shutting down and rebooting. Open PS and nothing else, not even a browser. Does it work now?
  • Try resetting your tools. Right click your Move tool in the options bar (not Toolbar) and choose Reset All Tools.

If none of these work, then go to Edit > Preferences > Reset Prefences on Quit. First, though, back up any settings you have created such as Actions, Gradients, Swatches.

And let us know if any of this works.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If anyone else has this problem you may also want to make sure that the image is rasterized, I forgot to do it and was stumped for a good minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!!! jane-e thanks for this information......i really need this info... [inappropriate request removed by moderator] ....thanks in advance  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this post i have read your all instructions .this is much helpfull for us I really appreciate your work..thank You so much.

Team:  [weblink removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines