• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 cannot open .EXR files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My older versions of photoshop have no problem opening 32 bit .EXR files from 3D applications, but in the current version of 2020 it will simply state "Could not complete your request because of a program error." This happens on all versions of 2020 I have available through the creative cloud app (20.0.8, 21.0, 21.0.1, 21.0.2, and 21.0.3). At my home set up I still have photoshop 2018 + 2019 installed which open the same files without issue. 

I have done everything I can find on the web regarding this issue including wiping photoshop preferences, re-install, turning on legacy compositing in preferences, and installing old versions. This is a big hinderence in my workflow and seems like a bug with the newest version of the software as like I mentioned previously this doesnt happen in older versions. 

Any info on if this is being addressed would be great as working with 32 bit .exr files in photoshop for depth passes is critical to many 3D/2D artists out there and these kinds of errors are the key reason most stick to older versions of the adobe suite in the first place. Would be nice to try out new features without breaking my workflow with arbitrary errors. Thanks. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this plug in for Multipass renders using open exr files. It works fine in v21 and support cryptomatte

https://www.exr-io.com/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this link Dave! Looks like a great plugin to help with larger multilayered EXR files I will for sure try this out for larger 3D projects. My main concern though is that 99% of the time I am just opening a single layer 32 bit EXR depth pass from my rendering engine to paint with which seems like this plugin might be overkill for.

Generally my workflow has been to just open the depth pass as a alpha channel > then adjust exposure to bring grayscale values back > paste into a layer mask in my scene. This takes only a few moments to acomplish, but now the workflow is broken and seems at the time my only solution is to open it in older photoshop versions, save the file then re-open in the new version which is why I felt like reporting it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it is stopping me from testing a single layered EXR, as the plug in opens for each EXR file single or multi. Hopefully someone else may be able to confirm your issue, or otherwise.

If they do then you can report it here:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it's a bummer. It's totally beyond me why Photoshop can't handle layered EXR files natively by now...

My workaround is to open EXR files in Affinity Photo (works brilliantly!) and then export them to multi-layered 32-bit PSD files. It's an extra step but only takes a few seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it's mostly because they don't seem to be able to update the program. They can add stuff, but I think it's been pushed to the point that if they mess with the internals, everything breaks, so they're relegated to simply making addons and shipping it with more each update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines