• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 is a complete mess.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running out of storage, so had to remove unnecessary apps and files, I had PS 2019 and 2020, and asked support (via chat) if I really needed both versions. I was informed I could remove 2019, so I did. I immediately began having problems. BIG problems. 

1. The Home screen would never open, only a blank screen with tool bar across the top.

2. However, it would open neither a new file nor one from my file explorer. Nothing. Nada. Zip. If I went to workspace and reset essentials, I would get a new workspace, and I could start a new project, but still could not open a file from my file explorer!

3. Trust me, I did all the troubleshooting, uninstall, reinstall, reboot, etc. I finally just went back to 2019 and everything is fine. 

What is the point of updating if NOTHING works? 

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you remove Photoshop 2020 using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app (the recommended method)?

Screenshot 2020-01-05 at 10.15.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I uninstalled PS 2019 from my computer after PS 2020 had already installed (via regular update notifications). That's when I started having problems. What I have done now is simply installed "other version" from the Creative Cloud drop-down menu. That is what I am using at present. Of course, it wants to update like crazy, but after trying that once and having the same issues again, I am not about to do it again until I get some kind of answer as to what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is uninstalling 2019 after installing 2020. Photoshop needs to be installed in strict version order and uninstalled in reverse version order.

The safe way to do this is:

• uninstall 2020
  • uninstall 2019
  • reinstall 2020

Adobe keep telling customers it's safe to uninstall the old version - which it usually is, but not always. At least it's better than it used to be, when the CC installer did this by default, and the result was a flood of complaints with each upgrade cycle. 

It's strange that this issue is still officially ignored. The forums have been full of it for as long as I can remember, and a lot of people have been saying this the whole time. I made an attempt to escalate this some years ago, but it was met with total silence. Now I don't bother anymore.

This hits Windows users mostly, but Mac isn't immune either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give this a shot and I'll keep you posted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Only 21.0 or 21.0.1 was installed (I can't remember which) but I uninstalled it. I then installed 21.0.2 (which I asume is the latest version of 2020). Again, all I get is a blank screen with toolbar at the top. I can "Open" a file, but I cannot create a

"new" one, even after resetting essentials in "workspace."

.screenshot of opening screenscreenshot of opening screen

Here's a shot of the CC Desktop:

CC DesktopCC Desktop

I am going to reinstall one of the older versions because I need to work, but I'm afraid to update at the prompts because I'll just end up back here. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I just encountered all of the same issues and results. I don't have time to relearn or FIX PSD 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try restoring your preferences? That seemed to fix the issue for most customers on this thread: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-2020-black-window?topic-reply-list%...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines