• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop and Affinity photo crash on opening RAW images

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fresh build and have a problem with Photoshop 2020 and Affinity Photo. They both crash when I open RAW photos. I get often BSOD (with pretty much different error message every time) and Windows 10 automatically restarts. I first thought the problem was Photoshop related and installed Affinity Photo in hope to get around it. No such luck. Affinity Photo crashes too. Any solutions? In Photoshop Preferences -> Performance I removed the tick from Use Graphics Processor. To no avail. I should add that in the first few days of using the new computer when I had only Photoshop it worked good with RAW. Maybe it is related to something I installed down the line, like the Gigabyte App Center and some of the apps in it (EasyTUne, SIV)?

Hardware:
Aorus Ultra X570
Ryzen 7 3800x
PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Dragon
TridentZ neo F4-3600C16D-16GTZNEC
Adata Gammix S11 Pro 1tb

[link removed by moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

I've found a solution for Camera RAW but it's not perfect. I guess the radeon's drivers are the problem.

You need to turn off GPU hardware acceleration in Camera RAW.

Open Adobe Brigde and go to: "Edit / Camera Raw Preferences / Perfomance" and set "Use Graphics Processor" to off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An application in Windows 10 cannot crash the operating system. However a driver can.

So start with your GPU drivers, making sure they are up to date. I would also uninstall any performance applications, as these will be interacting directly with the drivers. Get your system stable, then reinstall one at a time and test thoroughly any changes. Be prepared to roll back a step if you encounter instability.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»and Windows 10 automatically restarts«

That means Photoshop is not the problem, it cannot restart a modern OS. 

For that to happen the OS, a driver, some hardware, … would have to be at fault. 

Are the RAW images stored locally? 

Edit: Davescm already on the case! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also problem with crashing camera RAW in photoshop. I've just installed new graphic card RX 5700 XT, maybe there is a problem with GPU or GPU drivers. I didn't have any crashing problems with my old nvidia GTX 780. Did you have nvidia card in your system before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found a solution for Camera RAW but it's not perfect. I guess the radeon's drivers are the problem.

You need to turn off GPU hardware acceleration in Camera RAW.

Open Adobe Brigde and go to: "Edit / Camera Raw Preferences / Perfomance" and set "Use Graphics Processor" to off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines