Highlighted

Photoshop brush stroke moving canvas?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, whenever I try to make a brush stroke in Photoshop CC 2018, it moves my canvas as though I'm using the hand tool rather than actually putting down a brush stroke. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my Intuos3 tablet drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop with all of my preferences removed, I've tried resetting my tools to see if that would have any effect and have had absolutely ZERO luck.

I did a test run with Krita to make sure it wasn't a tablet issue and my brush strokes worked 100% fine in that program, so I think this is a Photoshop specific problem. If anyone has any pointers, please, please, please, help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is an issue that only recently came up and I haven't the slightest idea why it might be happening.

Cheers.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Hi

No need for any of this now. Microsoft have now issued an update to fix the issue that they caused . See link in this page from Adobe:  Cannot paint with stylus when zoomed in on image | Windows 10

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop brush stroke moving canvas?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, whenever I try to make a brush stroke in Photoshop CC 2018, it moves my canvas as though I'm using the hand tool rather than actually putting down a brush stroke. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my Intuos3 tablet drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop with all of my preferences removed, I've tried resetting my tools to see if that would have any effect and have had absolutely ZERO luck.

I did a test run with Krita to make sure it wasn't a tablet issue and my brush strokes worked 100% fine in that program, so I think this is a Photoshop specific problem. If anyone has any pointers, please, please, please, help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is an issue that only recently came up and I haven't the slightest idea why it might be happening.

Cheers.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Hi

No need for any of this now. Microsoft have now issued an update to fix the issue that they caused . See link in this page from Adobe:  Cannot paint with stylus when zoomed in on image | Windows 10

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 07, 2018 3
117 Replies 117
Advisor ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the KB4089848 problem.  This Windows 10 update has caused the canvas dragging you describe. You can achieve  temporary relief from the problem by uninstalling the Windows update KB4089848 and then pausing the update process (this will give you a month of no updates). We  are all hoping that a Windows Update will be found to correct this problem.  If you look through the list of posts you will find  quite a few about this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2018 7
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, this should be fixed with Photoshop 19.1.3 update from a couple of days ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2018 1
Advisor ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor.  Unfortunately, my instance of the problem caused by KB4059848 has not been fixed by 19.1.3. I have that update and the problem persists.  I have had to resort to using the WinTab option helpfully mentioned by you and others (because I want to be set for the Spring Creators Update expected next week). I have seen nothing from Adobe on this problem.  Incidentally, I have checked my Painter 2018 preferences and I see that software explicitly offers WinTab.

David

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2018 8
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t understand why there isn’t a bigger outcry over this, it’s really frustrating to have sit around and wait for the bug to get fixed. Funnily enough I didn’t have the problem until 19.1.3 and it’s really messing up my workflow. I‘m really frustrated with this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2018 21
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much David for your insight~! Trevor, I also have the most updated version of Photoshop installed on my machine and the problem is definitely persisting. I'll give the windows update pause a try, and may try the WinTab option you suggested as well. Here's hoping something works in the meantime, because I've been losing my mind trying to get this to function properly @_@;.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2018 0
Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know that the 19.1.3 update did not fix the issue.  We were told that it would, so that is useful information.  If using WinTab instead of Windows Ink does the job, then please let us know.   

One thing I can tell you is that I have Windows 10 and an Intuos 4, and have never experienced the issue.  In fact I just tried to force it and was unable, so I am wondering what set of circumstances causes it to happen?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, just wanted to say the WinTab worked. I did have to find it on a Lenova website Downloads Detail ds041384 , and you also have to create a txt file to drop it into Photoshop's setting. It worked immediately and I can draw now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, and I have my photoshop up to date.  When I first open a psd, my pen works, pressure and all.  But then a couple seconds in, or after using any other tools like the move tool or hitting the Tab key to make my canvas fullscreened, my pen stops drawing and moves the canvas around again!  Also it seems to like, try to draw, because it makes little dots or strokes here and there but it mostly is just moving the canvas around whenever I touch my pen to the screen..  Really sad since I needed to finish a project today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the Windows update this morning, and I now have the same issue. I hope I can unistall the last Windows update.

Just a few hours ago Photoshop was working perfectly, so that must be it.

Edit : Unistalling KB4099989 and KB4093112 solved it for me, thanks all

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 1
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to uninstall the Windows update. Just do the following:

1. Use notepad to create a text file and type in :

UseSystemStylus 0

2. Save the file as PSUserConfig.txt in the following location
C: > Users > Username > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 > Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings

3. Go to the Wacom tablet properties and for Photoshop under Mapping  uncheck "Use Windows Ink"

That is it - all should now work well

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 36
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, thanks. I did 1 and 2 and they worked. I didn't need to do step three.

Do you think that this issue will resolve itself with the next update? Or should I just keep that text file there for good?
Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my issues after the update, thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, im wondering if you please can help me, i tried to do the solution you said, but i don't have a Roaming folder, im a PS CC 2015 user and also a Genius tablet owner, do you have some solution for me please?

Thank you

basura.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am not sure why you are not seeing the standard three folders in AppData. Normally you would see these :

I'll copy in JJMack    to see if he can help. He has great knowledge of Windows.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gaiantt: Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the user folder where the Roaming folder should be, and try making sure "Hidden Items" is checked at the top of the Explorer toolbar:
hidden.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave for this solution. I reinstalled the removed Windows Updates and did your steps above.

I had some trouble finding the step 3 setting, but I found it under the Calibrate tab:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you . I checked it and it doesn't appear neither 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey GaiantT!

Maybe try to open the roaming folder through entering %appdata% in the windows search bar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I did your fix - thanks. I noticed this affected all my installed CCs, but not on CS4. CC2015 (32-bit) had the Hand tool itself broken - dragging it made the scroll bars turn white. Everything seems to be copacetic now, except 2018 is the only version with Stylus dynamics. If I drop copies of the text file into the appropriate folder, will that bring the dynamics back? What about CS4?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys, your solution with the .txt file and pointing to the hidden folders was spot-on! Worked without having to uninstall the Windows 10 updates mentioned! Big thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 2
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally worked, and actually improved the stylus performance, at least in my case because i would work with the "windows ink" activated and would always malfunction while working, like opening optical keyboard and so.

Really, thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you, but did'nt work neither

Im litterally stressed out with this haha, also this start happening since yesterday's evening, should i uninstall something?

win.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave!

Worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem as described above.
Only after uninstalling KB4093112 I got it fixed.

Still. Annoying.

Regards

JP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .txt file to swap to WinTab worked for me!  Thank you. 

Using Win10, Photoshop CC 2018 19.1.3, Wacom Intuos Pro M with 6.3.29-6 drivers.

Last updates Windows updates were are KB4093110, KB4093112, KB4088785, KB4088776.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, tried this with not much success. The pen works but PS is not recognizing pen pressure. I am using a Surface not a wacom tablet. Thanks, this is incredibly infuriating. Tried installing a wintab driver but no clue where it went

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi. I have also the same issue, but I have already install the updated window... how do I make it go back??? I am really stuck..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2018 0
Advisor ,
Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To uninstall KB4089848 go to Control Panel/Program and Features/View Installed Updates/ then uninstall KB4089848. Then go Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update and open the last item on the page "Advanced Options".  Switch on Pause Updates.  This will give you a month with no updates and prevent Windows from immediately trying to reinstall KB4089848. This is just a temporary workaround.  I guess you need to keep checking back here to see if there is a solution to the problem posted. I too am waiting for the solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2018 6
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in and say that David's workaround definitely worked for me. Hoping that either Windows or Adobe comes out with a fix for this soon. Thank you all for your help~! If any of you discover a more permanent solution, please let me know on this thread. It would be greatly appreciated!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 0
Advisor ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Thanks to other posters' suggestions) I'm using the WinTab driver instead of Windows Ink. This gives full pen control (so far as I can see).  Photoshop has not complained and is functioning properly (I think).

Here is how to add WinTab to Photoshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3MlhIaK-y0&feature=youtu.be&t=598http://

Go to about minute 10.

I was sceptical about doing this until (a) I saw that Corel Painter 2018 formally gives you the option to use WinTab (b) others here were using the WinTab driver (c) it seems to be working ok and (d) there is no sign I can see of Wacom, Adobe or Microsoft producing a new solution.

I'm sceptical about making these sort of changes because I don't really understand how they work, but in this case I risked it.  Seems to be ok, with KB4089848 reinstalled and updates back on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 5
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue on windows 10, running KB4099989. Photoshop CC 2017 on a Wacom Citiq 24HD, just updated to driver 6.3.29-6. Just ran into the issue today after updating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 3
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give me a direct link to download Win Tab? I couldn't find it in the original video link you give. Thanks in advance!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 0
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David I moved to WinTab on advice from Guillaume Stordeur, the Lazy Nezumi author.  He said that WinTab worked better AFAHCT from Windows 8.1, and the same with Windows 10.  It's a wee bit of a pain in that you have to remember to move or copy the systemstylus text file after major Photoshop updates.  It has also been known to confuse people after you link to directions for CC 2015, and the user is using a later version.  More than one person has come back to the forum and complained that they put the text file in the advised folder, and it didn't work for them with CC 2018 or whatever.  Go figure. 

I have to say this bug is worse than average, and seeing that it is affecting the Microsoft Windows Ink API, it's a pity that so many people have come to this forum complaining about Adobe instead of Microsoft and Wacom.  Still it could be worse.  We could be using Chinese non Wacom tablets, and feel lucky if they worked at all!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 1
Advisor ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor.  These are important points.  I wondered if the WinTab file would survive a CC update.  I guess it would have to be re-created.  I see the Wintab file as a workaround with a proper solution being much preferable - as this is a problem in Photoshop I do see this as of interest to Adobe - there is no problem with Corel Painter 2018 which also offers you the option  in Preferences to use WinTab.  Maybe Photoshop should do the same?  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed...

NB I see from another thread here that some people are finding another update is causing the problem - KB4093112.

This is very frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to thank you on behalf of one of my best friends. She was having a fight with her tablet and was worried it was broken when she found this solution. Thank you so much for posting and helping us out!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
Advisor ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it helped her.

David

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it helped!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, David - this worked! The pen was moving my canvas instead of being a brush/eraser. The WinTab txt file video worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, uninstalling the recent updates helped

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was on a job today and wound up discovering this same issue after installed updates this morning. Waiting for a solution to this bug. I wound up using clip Studio to finish my job. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have KB4089848 in my update history, yet I'm experiencing this problem as well. My most recent updates (installed today) are KB4093110, KB4093112, KB890830, and KB4099989. Am I missing something?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem after I installed the following Windows updates: KB4093112 and KB4093110.

After removing KB4093112 the problem disappeared!

Hope we can find a permanent solution with this KB installed, for now I leave this one off my PC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 2
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also do not KB4089848, but do have KB4099989. This is so incredibly annoying. Please fix this asap.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m using the surface book and have the very same problem after the latest windows update. I dont have KB4089848 but I'll uninstall all recent updates since the  WinTab fix didnt work for me, nor did it mae it better to install the latest PS update...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I was the same, in that I didn't have the KB4089848. I tried to uninstall a flash update that came with the most recent update and that seemed to work. Maybe give that a try?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstlled the latest updates and that worked for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018 0