Photoshop create massive temp/cache files

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Were I work we have 2 employees who have problems with their Mac (RAM is 16GB.) when using photoshop.

Their scratch disk is on the system drive (not best option), however in less then a day their photoshop is consuming around 150Gb - 200GB. These are then cleared when restarting photoshop.

I am not an expert in photoshop and neither in Mac, so I reached here maybe someone can help.

What could be causing these enormous files?

I have set their photoshop to be able to consume more RAM (changed from 70% of all RAM to 85%) and also changed auto save to 1hr instead of 10mins but still no luck.

Thanks in advance 🙂

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those do not seem particularly »enormous«. 

As you apparently already know the System Disk should not be used as the primary Scratch Disk check out these pages, maybe you can tweak performance somewhat (like by reducing History Steps for example). 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be normal indeed, working as designed. The size needed will depend on the work done and image sizes; you may need to uprate their hardware so they can work effectively. Nearly full system disks are a disaster waiting to happen. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines