• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop - holding shift not constraining proportions when resizing [2018]

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my CC today and now my shift button is not constraining proportions.

I have tried it with no other programs open so I don't think that key commends in other apps are affecting it.

This is a big problem! Is this a setting now? Am I missing something? Help!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

“For example, for years and years Control + D was used for "duplicate" in every Adobe program of the suite.”

Hi

I’ve been using Adobe products for several decades and Ctrl+D (Cmd+D on Mac) is the one I use most often to show inconsistencies. Here’s how it works in the four programs I use. I have no problems keeping it straight and it’s never an issue for me.

Photoshop: Select > Deselect

Illustrator : Edit > Duplicate last transformation

InDesign: File > Place

Acrobat: File > Properties

I’m c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi carolynp,

It's the new feature in Photoshop where in you don't need to hold down the shift for resizing the image. Please refer the following link to know what's new in the release: New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Let us know your feedback.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is supposed to be an improvement but it doesn't make sense having this feature different from all the apps like illustrator.

What it doesn't make sense either is that for SHAPE layers you STILL need to Hold Shift for proportional scaling and Shift + Alt to proportional scaling from axis. At least having the option to modify this would be appreciated. If there is a way to change this please advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know if does not make sense but they decided to do it. You can use the legacy behavior by going to the preferences:

Performance: Enable the Legacy Composting

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 13.40.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Transform tool, I like that the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' in the Photoshop update is now checked 'ON' by default.

This should be on for when tapping in numeric values in the top bar, but when manual scaling the canvas, I agree, the universal Shift drag makes sense.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for responding!

I tried both Legacy Compositing and the Constraint Toggle suggestions, but wasn't able to revert the scaling behavior. The 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' literally didn't do anything. I looked it up and there was a bug report 6mo on that too. It's prob me at this point.

I think I will try tweaking the prefs with a text editor from the above post next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurray!!!! thank you for the work around. You saved my sanity!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They removed this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Better Work-Around:  

While in transform mode, turn off maintain aspect ratio mode in the toolbar scaling options.  Photoshop will respect this as your prefferance for constraining or not constraining an image when manually dragging.  When it is unchecked, it goes back to the default behavior of requiring shift to constrain.  

Capture.JPG

If you are working on something where you want toolbar scaling to constrain, and dragging to not constrain, you can press capslock. (Although I admit this can be annoying because it also effects other things like if your brushes show in percise vs normal mode).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a suggestion: how about when these changes are made a little window pops up and says something like "Warning: we changed the way you've been doing it for 30 years because... just because."

At least then we wouldn't spend time googling what is an apparent bug in the latest release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually don't write in this Forums but this is quite frustrating and again, it doesn't make sense;

I'm really trying to get comfortable with this new feature but is still buggy and that makes it very hard and disruptive, as there are some instances where this feature doesn't apply and you STILL need to hold shift to constrain proportions for example:

• Shape layers
  • Imported graphics from Illustrator
  • Some Smart objects (dragged from finder. More specifically from the desktop)
  • Smart objects "via copy"

Is there a way to go back to the old feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Just like to add my penn'orth to the comments above and congratulate Adobe for one of this brainless adaptation. I have been using PS since Dec 1991 (when it was about 18months old) and to my certain knowledge i have NEVER dragged and scaled an image without constraining the proportions - not for that matter have I done so without wanting to keep the image centered about its current position. I guess there must be people out there who like to see the proportions of an image randomly change whilst dragging (Adobe developers for instance) and also to have the image fly off the paste board whilst scaling so it has to be manually dragged back into position but I (who regard myself as a reasonably rational user) are not amongst them.

Happily I found this fix:

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt). Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

Save the file as PSUserConfig.txt to your Photoshop settings folder:

Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\

macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

I did this and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this helpful suggestion. My only advice to Adobe: "If it's not broken, don't fix it!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, stupid update they did- this has been bothering me for a while and you made their idiocy disappear, gratitude~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Center scaling makes fitting an image to its container MUCH harder.  95% of the time when  I am resizing an image is right after I paste it meaning it's already not where it is supposed to be; so, keeping it centered is useless.  But, getting it centered is much easier when you first possition one corner to the upper-left limit of your desired area, then drag the lower right corner until it fits.  This way it is perfectly centered and fitted with two simple mouse drags.  

As for default constraining, this depends a lot on the kind of graphics you are working with.  If you are working with photography, then yes, 100% of what you are doing should be constrained.  When you are doing graphic design work, you almost never want it constrained.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brainless is for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Hero of my day, it works without even restarting PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this like a useful feature. It's terrible! Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inconsistent with other apps, and no attempt from Adobe to communicate a fairly significant change to one of the most basic functions of the application. I lost an hour trying to figure this out. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most ridiculous updates ever – in fact, it IS the most ridiculous.

What can the reasoning behind having different constrain methods for different types of objects, when the method EVERYONE knows works perfectly well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mohit for posting a link to the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny thing is it's an infuriating new feature, not a bug requiring a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a horrible feature. It gave me a nosebleed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?, I am going to try not to sound as frustrated as I am.
I will ditto everyone's comments and add that this is once again a major disruption to workflow! I can't believe changing it in only one place either. There is NO WAY i will be able to retrain my brain to not hold shift. Thanks Adobe.

Adobe has been downgrading the experience with each release since CS6. Every update has moved tools or reversed function that directly affect trained user habits and ingrained behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I'm still trying to unlearn the inverted Y axis Illustrator uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines