Highlighted

Photoshop is extremely slow

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive seen other posts here regarding photoshop running slow, but here's my 2 cents worth.

The new 2020 update is just cripplingly slow. I have a really fast PC as well as the benefit of a server farm for processing and rendering.

I've switched to legacy compositing, altered the ram usage, added, removed, and added scratch disks again and I don't use my C:\ drive for any scratch disk, also switched off PSD Compression.

Opening a file takes anything from 2-5 mins, even for a small 1mb file. Dragging a file from a folder or the desktop, takes again, anything from 2-5 mins. Clicking the visibility of Layers takes ages too, click the eyeball and nothing happens for quite a while, same re-enabling the layer or resizing something with a smart filter or that's a smart object.  I cannot work this way.

The Creative Cloud App itself, is also a bloated, slow resource hog. Rebooting, the app almost always doesn't load properly, stating that it's being slow and I have to click restart. Just recently, my Libraries failed to load and I had to update the library plugin, surely, this could have been done via the million updates the CC App does, yet always has the same issues.

System Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
  • Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor 5.3ghz
  • 64 Gig DDR5 Ram
  • 2 x nVidia 2080 Ti's (Bridged together) giving me 22Gig DDR 6 Video Ram
  • 2TB Samsung 850 EVO 2 SSD
  • 3 x Asus 4K Monitors at 3840 x 2160px

So, with these specs, why is photoshop so slow? No other CC Apps does this, only Photoshop and the CC App itself. I know it's not my PC or the build, it' has to be Photoshop because there a many, and I mean MANY posts like this one with Photoshop 2020. I hope it's fixed in the 2021 release or I'm cancelling my subscription.

Correct answer by M1cr0ft | Community Beginner

Just to inform you, Photoshop 2021 is working fine. So the issue was with 2020. I can finally work without any issues. 

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop is extremely slow

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive seen other posts here regarding photoshop running slow, but here's my 2 cents worth.

The new 2020 update is just cripplingly slow. I have a really fast PC as well as the benefit of a server farm for processing and rendering.

I've switched to legacy compositing, altered the ram usage, added, removed, and added scratch disks again and I don't use my C:\ drive for any scratch disk, also switched off PSD Compression.

Opening a file takes anything from 2-5 mins, even for a small 1mb file. Dragging a file from a folder or the desktop, takes again, anything from 2-5 mins. Clicking the visibility of Layers takes ages too, click the eyeball and nothing happens for quite a while, same re-enabling the layer or resizing something with a smart filter or that's a smart object.  I cannot work this way.

The Creative Cloud App itself, is also a bloated, slow resource hog. Rebooting, the app almost always doesn't load properly, stating that it's being slow and I have to click restart. Just recently, my Libraries failed to load and I had to update the library plugin, surely, this could have been done via the million updates the CC App does, yet always has the same issues.

System Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
  • Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor 5.3ghz
  • 64 Gig DDR5 Ram
  • 2 x nVidia 2080 Ti's (Bridged together) giving me 22Gig DDR 6 Video Ram
  • 2TB Samsung 850 EVO 2 SSD
  • 3 x Asus 4K Monitors at 3840 x 2160px

So, with these specs, why is photoshop so slow? No other CC Apps does this, only Photoshop and the CC App itself. I know it's not my PC or the build, it' has to be Photoshop because there a many, and I mean MANY posts like this one with Photoshop 2020. I hope it's fixed in the 2021 release or I'm cancelling my subscription.

Correct answer by M1cr0ft | Community Beginner

Just to inform you, Photoshop 2021 is working fine. So the issue was with 2020. I can finally work without any issues. 

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to start PS without any Plug-ins etc.? As most of the PS Users dont have this kind of problems…
it has to be your config or Internet connection. Feel free to give Affinity Photo or GIMP a try 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, tried that, also uninstalled and reinstalled, as well as on different machines in our different offices. We have a 1 gbps internet connection, so I assure you, that's not the problem, nor is it our machines (and the one I use here is brand new with a fresh install of Creative Cloud) and as I mentioned, it's only Photoshop that has this issue.

But do a search here or via Google, and you might be surprised how many people have this exact same issue with v2020, like the links below which are recent and also have decent computer specs. Just because you may not have an issue, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. But when multiple people state the same issues, there is generally something causing it and there are also many posts stating that blame is always put on the user. I guess they are correct 🙂

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-running-slow/td-p/10719152?page=1 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-is-very-slow/m-p/11455366?page=1#M467237

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-slow-performance-on-macos-mojave/m-p/1076650... 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-21-1-running-very-slowly/m-p/10965366?page=1#M312... 

Done all these too to try to resolve it Photoshop lags, freezes, or runs slowly (adobe.com)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today after rebooting. And the second image, after shutting down the PC, going for coffee, coming back, and starting the computer. This happens 90% of the time, not just on thins new PC, but others (and for other users) in the office.

MMK1123_09-10-2020.pngMMK1124_09-10-2020.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0