Highlighted

Photoshop needs "Color to Alpha" button

Contributor ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just chatting with a group of other artists about the need to convert a color into transparency sometimes, and we've all needed such a function, then somebody said that in GIMP there's just a simple button for it, "Color to Alpha."  It does exactly what we need and very easily.  In Photshop this is possible but very cumbersome, having to use the channels to make a selection, then apply a mask.

Googling leads to 10 year old articles and people recommending plugins.  But yeah, I'd just like to suggest this as an official feature request.

You know how in Photoshop you can use Replace Color?  And you can pick a color, and vary the fuzziness of the selection, then change the color to something else?  It would be just like that I imagine, but instead of changing the color, you increase the opacity of those pixels.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by D Fosse | Adobe Community Professional

This is a very sensible request on the face of it. The problem is that Select > Color Range already does it. The output is a selection, not a mask. But all you have to do is click the mask button.

Generally, "new" features that only combine existing ones get low priority. That's just my experience, not my opinion.

In short...well, maybe it might be worth it. Whether it actually happens depends on the marketing value.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop needs "Color to Alpha" button

Contributor ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just chatting with a group of other artists about the need to convert a color into transparency sometimes, and we've all needed such a function, then somebody said that in GIMP there's just a simple button for it, "Color to Alpha."  It does exactly what we need and very easily.  In Photshop this is possible but very cumbersome, having to use the channels to make a selection, then apply a mask.

Googling leads to 10 year old articles and people recommending plugins.  But yeah, I'd just like to suggest this as an official feature request.

You know how in Photoshop you can use Replace Color?  And you can pick a color, and vary the fuzziness of the selection, then change the color to something else?  It would be just like that I imagine, but instead of changing the color, you increase the opacity of those pixels.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by D Fosse | Adobe Community Professional

This is a very sensible request on the face of it. The problem is that Select > Color Range already does it. The output is a selection, not a mask. But all you have to do is click the mask button.

Generally, "new" features that only combine existing ones get low priority. That's just my experience, not my opinion.

In short...well, maybe it might be worth it. Whether it actually happens depends on the marketing value.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 15, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can post your feature request here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 2
Contributor ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoooa, what?  I didnt know this tool existed!  This is exactly what I needed!  This is SO much easier than fiddling with channels and layer masks.  Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 1