• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Requesting access to record my computer's screen? - Any comments?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAY WHAT PHOTOSHOP??!!!
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.12.32 PM.png

NO IT'S NOT OK ...
NO I DON'T USE A CRACKED VERSION OF ADOBE ...

Just to be clear ... 

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Hi There,

Sorry for the confusion, this is totally normal and expected Photoshop behavior. Accoring to one of our engineers Photoshop & Illustrator require the screen recording permission so that the Eye Dropper can pick any color outside of the applciation's window.

You have to give this approval on the first use of the Dropper Tool.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

For more info on this topic, you can refer to the following post. It gives details about the message asking to record the computer screen:  Why am I getting a request to allow Photoshop to record my screen

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Sorry for the confusion, this is totally normal and expected Photoshop behavior. Accoring to one of our engineers Photoshop & Illustrator require the screen recording permission so that the Eye Dropper can pick any color outside of the applciation's window.

You have to give this approval on the first use of the Dropper Tool.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How do you keep the permissions applied. Everytime I close Illustrator or Photoshop I have to re-Give permission for the eyedropper tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if its the eye dropper that need to get acces...

Why does the eydropper still works even after i denied the acces?

Why does illustrator/indesign doesnt request the same?

Why would osx alert for a posible privacy infringment for a app tool?

Requesting to record a computers screen is quit a thing to ask for an application? This should be adressed to your developpers...it's really wrong to even ask this.

Bad Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this sounds crazy. I too would stop dead at this message. Never, ever, heard of anything like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came to this site because I had the exact same question. Appreciate that Sahil Chawla was able to explain the message which I also found disturbing as other posters. The response by Lumigraphics is dismissive and arrogant. Users of Adobe products have a right to be concerned about messages like those that appear to give Adobe Photoshop (or other Adobe product) carte blanc access to screen record. There is no indication that this message is about the eyedropper tool. Publically ridiculing the responders is what we come to expect on these "support" forums. I wish Adobe had removed your arrogant response. Maybe the users of Adobe products have given permissions necessary to make their software run on our computeres, and maybe we are aware that they collect user data, and maybe we know they use this data for marketing. That does not mean we give Adobe the freedom to screen record our desktops which may or may not have files/folders/images displayed that we deem NOTB. I stand by the original poster and follow up users who would like to see this message changed AND would like to have an Adobe software engineer clarify whether this is actually screen recording our desktops and sending the images to Adobe OR if it is just a temp file utilized by the Eyedropper Tool and then DELETED. Upstarts and snarky responses not welcome. Please just clarification by experts/Adobe programmers. Craitza, thank you for posting your concerns/question as several of us have it too. Sahil, if you could further clarify the normal "screen-recording" is not retained in any log or reported back to Adobe in any file that would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There is no indication that this message is about the eyedropper tool"

That is because it is an Apple message not a Photoshop message. As Sahil explained it is needed so that the eydropper will work when sampling colours outside of Photoshop i.e. from another application. The screen is not recorded, just the colour values at that sampled spot. Apple's OS security sees that as screen recording.

There is more discussion on this in the Illustrator forum :

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/quot-illustrator-cc-2019-would-like-to-record-your-screen...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are seeing is because Apple, being security-minded (a good thing), is making software developers clarify what their applications have always done, making them be more up front about it in case they are up to no good. But that does not automatically mean they’re up to no good.

You’ll misunderstand what’s going on if you interpret “screen recording” to mean “always video recording the screen.” That is not what it means. In the majority of cases it means a single snapshot of the screen, maybe even just a small portion of the screen, to get some information that you want because you are using a feature that needs it. And then throwing away that screen shot as soon as the feature no longer needs it.

The eyedropper example above is one of them. That does not require continuous video recordings sent back to Adobe. It only requires a screen shot of the small area you asked the eyedropper to sample, to get its color value. Unfortunately, Apple calls all activities of this type “screen recording,” so even though it’s just a tiny still snapshot that never leaves your computer, macOS now requires user permission for this type of “screen recording.”

If you want the story from a completely non-Adobe point of view, here are some examples of how this macOS change is frustrating to all kinds of Mac developers as well as users. Below is a similar explanation given by the developer of one of my favorite Mac utilities, Default Folder by St. Clair Software:

Default Folder X is asking for permission to record my screen. Why?

Default Folder X needs screen recording permission because, in some circumstances, it needs to actually select something from a menu in a file dialog in order to perform an action. To hide the menu when it pops up on the screen, Default Folder X takes a screenshot of the file dialog and displays that in front of the dialog for a fraction of a second. This hides the activity of operating the menu behind a temporary "façade".

This is something that Default Folder X has always done - it's not something new. It's just that Catalina requires that we get your permission now. The screenshot is only stored in RAM, never saved to a file, and is destroyed immediately after it is used.

If you want to see this in action, approve Screen Recording so Default Folder X will launch, then immediately go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Screen Recording and turn it back off. Then bring up an Open dialog in any application (choose File > Open in Safari, for example), navigate to your Downloads folder, and then use the New Folder command to create a new folder. When you click OK to create the folder, watch the file dialog. It'll briefly turn yellow - that's where the screenshot would normally be used, but since you've turned off screen recording, Default Folder X just puts up a yellow window instead.”

Here’s another example from the developer of a Mac utility called Vanilla:

“Starting from macOS Catalina, Vanilla requires Screen Recording permission to be able to hide icons on your Mac.

Vanilla does not record your screen.

Vanilla takes screenshots of your menu bar to hide icons. There is no personal information in these screenshots. The screenshots are not saved or transmitted anywhere.

The app uses the screenshot to blend in the menu bar with the icons inside the menu bar to create a seamless, minimalist menu bar with fewer icons.

And for the well-regarded password manager 1Password

If you see “1Password would like to record this screen” on your Mac

In macOS Catalina and later, 1Password needs permission to scan Setup Codes and one-time password QR codes. When you attempt to scan one for the first time, you’ll be asked to grant 1Password access to record your screen.

1Password never saves any screen recordings, and no information ever leaves your computer.

Those are the kind of things that will trigger the screen recording permissions alert. Obviously it has nothing to do with sending long video recordings of your screen somewhere else.

Of course, the reason Apple added the permissions request is just in case an application you either do not trust or did not even realize was there is trying to do something bad. Then you must deny permission.

But keep in mind that for legitimate, well-established Mac applications, the activities that trigger the alert are probably nothing new, and probably for normal operations that require some kind of interaction with the contents of the screen buffer memory…and it’s probably for something you actually want the application to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad C,

great explanation,

I hope the OP and others are reassured.

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed explaination!

Also, granting or not the screen recording rights does not change anything to the use of the eyedropper. So not saying there is any evil plot behind this request, but definitely not an eye-dropper related question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For more info on this topic, you can refer to the following post. It gives details about the message asking to record the computer screen:  Why am I getting a request to allow Photoshop to record my screen

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines