• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Wacom pen and alt key

Enthusiast ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 10 Pro with Photoshop CC 2018 on a Dell 7710, with a Cintiq 21UX attached.  In addition, I have an extra USB keyboard.  I control the size and softness of my brush using the alt+Rclick method.  I have checked my Wacom Properties to ensure that the pen button I'm pushing is, in fact, assigned to right click.  I have just encountered the following problem:

If I use a brush and try to control it with alt+Rclick, using the laptop alt key,  I'll get a box that says "Alt" and, as I drag, I'll get a gray and black circle.

If I do the same using the auxiliary keyboard, I'll get a box with "Alt Gr" and the gray/black circle.

If I try the same procedure using the mouse instead of the pen, it works as it should.  Using alt+Rclick allows me to control size and softness of the brush.

Reinstalling the Wacom driver doesn't fix the problem.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing you window setting control panel pen and touch

disable flick uncheck that box

Pen and touch Press and hold Right-click Settings

Disable that feature un-check enable

There are many other threads about Wacom  devices use.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ, thanks for the response.  None of those options worked.  I have been experiencing a lot of instability since updating to CC 2018; so I reverted to CC 2017.  Unfortunately, that did not correct the problem either.  However, I noticed that if, instead of alt+Rclick, I just Rclick, I get a menu on screen that allows me to adjust size and hardness.  That works kind of.  So, this time, I'll punt.  I am glad I explored those Control Panel settings.  Thanks, again, for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue, with the shift button too. In photoshop, indesign and illustrator, no other apps just adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update: For some reason (God knows why) the alt key now works to control the size and hardness of my Wacom pen.  Perhaps, tomorrow, it will go off again. (While the alt key works, now my scrubby zoom is gone.)  I've pretty much given up on trying to fix things in Photoshop.  I just work around.  Part of my problem may be that I use a legacy Wacom Cintiq 21UX.  That driver hasn't been updated for over a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a nightmare. I don't know off hand the name of my Wacom but I know its the second latest one. To elaborate on the (similar) issues I'm having: The Alt and Shift key either get 'stuck' or don't work at all. When I say it gets 'stuck' I mean they seem to sometimes work like the caps lock key - so either it works as if I'm keeping the key in (after I've released it) or the key doesn't work at all. It's an absolute pain when I'm trying to use the pen tool in photoshop and illustrator, tripling the time it would usually take me to get something done. Even the simple act of Alt-dragging an object to duplicate it can be frustrating. InDesign also has the problem though not to the extreme the others do. Also, sometimes when I use the space bar to get the hand tool, I get the zoom I hope there's someone out there that can help us.

Thanks for your reply and for sharing an issue I thought I was facing alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many threads on this subject...   Most likely there is no additional information we can post that has not been posted. You provide little information about your configuration......

Can you post all your Photoshop Preferences settings. State if you using INK or Wintab API, for Pen support with Photoshop,  Post  Your Wacom Drivers version  and all your Wacom Preferences set for Photoshop,  Also Post all your Windows  Pen and Touch settings.  All these need to be configures correctly so the will play nice with each other.  

There are also reports that users have problem with some Windows Updates and also with some Wacom drivers versions.   It a good also to  reset Photoshop preferences and to remove all Wacom preference and create new ones when you have problems  using your Wacom Pen with Photoshop.  Corrupt preferences can cause all sorts of problems.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize if I was not clear.  My point is that I experience various problems--alt not working to regulate the Wacom pen or scrubby zoom disappearing and later reappearing--on a regular basis.  I believe that occurs when automatic updates (to Windows 10, Photoshop, a graphics card, etc.) cause conflicts and subsequent updates resolve those conflicts.  I think the fact that Wacom no longer updates my 21UX driver is a problem.  I do very much appreciate the help I have received from this forum.  Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at some other forum posts about this problem, I saw the suggestion of logging off and back on which does work, I used to reboot the computer! This fixes for a while the problem of "stuck" shift keys,  (this is on Mac) regardless of OS version, or app you are using, the Shift key acts like it is on when you use the Wacom Pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, the lower button on the pen functions as an ALT keystroke but when I press it it stays pressed. It only stops when I use the ALT key on the keyboard. I had the exact same problem before but I don't know how I solved it. It's so annoying that it's come back again. It goes away when I restart the program (Photoshop) but then returns after a couple of minutes.

Any help or suggestions?

I've updated my Wacom Driver and Adobe Photoshop to the newest version, and my pen isn't even a year old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having this exact issue that you're describing. I have a spare brand new Wacom brand pen that i use to troubleshoot sometimes and rule out pen issues and i can confirm it's not the pen. My ALT and SHIFT keys both get "stuck" until i press them again on the keyboard. A lot of my bound shortcuts on my tablet use those keys and this issue has interfered with all of them. But it only seems to happen when i'm using a stylus. I'm very frustrated at these issues and need a workable solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines