PS CC 2020 Freezing when Scrolling

Explorer ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, over the years we've generally found Photoshop to be one of the most stable of all apps we use. But lately, it's been freezing a lot when doing relatively simple editing. We've updated to the very latest version (21.1.2) on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 24GB RAM. 

What seems to be causing the freeze is just scrolling around a zoomed-in image when using the spot healing brush tool on grayscale TIF images that aren't overly huge or complex. But this may just be coincidence since it's a pretty common task. But using the space-bar scroll will just suddenly freeze and the image becomes completely unresponsive. Fortunately, I am typically still able to access menus, including 'File/Save'! Sometimes I'm able to just save & re-open the file to get it to work again, other times I must restart PS.

- Is this common? 

- Anything we can try to resolove (if clearing prefs, any specific - as they seem to be pretty widespread and in multiple places)?

Seems like this has only recently started happening, so not sure if one of the recent updates has caused this. We've never experienced this kind of thing with PS over the years.

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PS CC 2020 Freezing when Scrolling

Explorer ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, over the years we've generally found Photoshop to be one of the most stable of all apps we use. But lately, it's been freezing a lot when doing relatively simple editing. We've updated to the very latest version (21.1.2) on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 24GB RAM. 

What seems to be causing the freeze is just scrolling around a zoomed-in image when using the spot healing brush tool on grayscale TIF images that aren't overly huge or complex. But this may just be coincidence since it's a pretty common task. But using the space-bar scroll will just suddenly freeze and the image becomes completely unresponsive. Fortunately, I am typically still able to access menus, including 'File/Save'! Sometimes I'm able to just save & re-open the file to get it to work again, other times I must restart PS.

- Is this common? 

- Anything we can try to resolove (if clearing prefs, any specific - as they seem to be pretty widespread and in multiple places)?

Seems like this has only recently started happening, so not sure if one of the recent updates has caused this. We've never experienced this kind of thing with PS over the years.

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 04, 2020 1
Explorer ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh, just happened again. I was once again zoomed-in a bit on an image and in the process of scrolling (space-bar drag) the image when it just froze. It seems like it is just the image window that is freezing. I can switch tools, turn layers on/off, etc. Even zooming using Navigator 'appears' to work, it's just that the image display does not change at all. I have to Save & Close the image, then re-open to get through it.

- Any ideas? This is starting to happen fairly freqently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I also have a problem with freezing. Good that I'm not alone with it, bad that there doesn't seem to be a real solution for weeks unless you go back a few versions (PS2019). So it's more the program itself than the operating system. I have also worked with competing products (Pix... & Aff...) and both of them are not frozen. But no agency standard yet.

Here are my reports on it from an "f...." expensive Mac Pro from work. On a clean install... just to make sure 🙂

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-1-2-freezing-on-catalina-10-15-4...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-21-1-2-freezing-on-catalina-10-15-4-system-freezi...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem and have done for a couple of months. I have read multiple feeds of others with the same problem regardless of the layout they are working on. What is Adobe doing to rectify this???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add myself to the list of users experiencing this problem when working on large multi layer files. the only saving grace is that I am able to save the file upon freeze close it and reopen it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Really disruptive to work flow. I use PS more for painting than editing so i frequently zoom in and move the viewing area around. i can't quite place what exactly causes it but generally it comes when i do a series of quick movements/inputs. Was never a problem in legacy versions. Hope theres a fix or if i'm missing something please let me know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0