• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovered .psd file won't open in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I recently accidentally deleted a folder with a couple .psd files and realised I needed one of them. I managed to find a program that recovers deleted files from the Recycling Bin, and so I got it back. The thing is, when opening the Properties window of that file, it's type seems to have changed to an ''Adobe Photoshop Image.21'' file, although it still shows up as a.psd file. Anyways, I tried opening it with Photoshop 2020 but it says the file type is not supported. Does anyone know if there's a way to actually recover this file?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

It could be an extension issue...does the file name have the .psd extension on it?

If it doesn't, can you add the.psd and hit ok and see if you can open it?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the file name does have the .psd extension and even if I rename it, it still doesn't work. When opening it in Photoshop, it displays an error window that says ''Could not open the file because it is not a valid photoshop document''.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did a yahoo search on the error using this:

Could not open the file because it is not a valid photoshop document error

And here are two things I found:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 4.39.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you can try to open a flattened copy, navigate to the file, then hold down Shift+Alt (PC) / Shift+Option (Mac) and click open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried doing that too, but when clicking on the file to open it, it just opens it's Properties window (by the way, I have Windows 10).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines