• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disks a are full, help me use my external hard drive instead.

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

My scratch disks are full and I keep bailing out all unnecessary files off my computer library but the notice keeps coming back! I want to use my external hard drive as my scratch disk instead of my computer's hard drive but it doesn't come up as an option when I go into Preferences to change my scratch disk. I've looked into this issue and it seems like I have to re-format my external hard drive to a weird format to make it a valid option that the computer recognizes. Is this a thing? (I'm on a Mac). Please help! I'm doing graphic design for a company and this is so frustrating! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Basically you must format your external drive as macos and that erases anything on it. So move any files you want to keep off that External drive.

Photoshop will only recognize disks formatted as HFS+ or "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Open Disk Utility on the Mac  (Use Spotlight to access it by name)

Select the External drive you want to format

Click on the Erase button at the top and from the Format dropdown menu: "macos extended (Journaled).

When that is done, click "Erase" blue button on the bo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically you must format your external drive as macos and that erases anything on it. So move any files you want to keep off that External drive.

Photoshop will only recognize disks formatted as HFS+ or "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Open Disk Utility on the Mac  (Use Spotlight to access it by name)

Select the External drive you want to format

Click on the Erase button at the top and from the Format dropdown menu: "macos extended (Journaled).

When that is done, click "Erase" blue button on the bottom right to start the format. When that is done, Photoshop should list your drive as a scratch drive.

More information here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 1.33.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! It worked!! 

I've been so frustrated and this is a huge weight off my shoulders! 

Your the best! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you do this on windows with a USB hard-drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same idea. First move any files off before you format, because this will erase them and format as NTFS for a Windows scratch disk.

Since I don't work with Windows, here's a picture guide how to do this:

https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-format-a-hard-drive-windows-10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This did not work for me and i have tried everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines