Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 77 - Transistorised

Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Back in 1926 Julius Edgar Lilienfield patented the first transistor. However it was not practical to make, so the first working device was invented in 1947 by physicists John Bardeen, Walter Brattain and William Shockley. Over the following years miniaturisation was the name of the game, with more and more transistors fitting onto single chips. Nowadays transistors are at the heart of all the electronic devices we use, including the PCs on which you are viewing this post.

So I thought it would be appropriate to put up a discrete transistor as a SFTW starter image. What will you make with it?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW77Transistor.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

77-Current-View.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week077.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Treasures from trash JHTREASURES from trash.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take me to your leader.....

SFTW77Leader.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shock(ley) Force Taking World, Dave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW77Transistor JE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poetic licence with shadows.

SFTW77Moon.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The natives worshipping the new god...

SFTW77.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was trying to make a fractal. I ended up crashing Photoshop. Here is where i got up to

SFTW76_fractal.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean, that's the sort of thing that Filter Forge might do well.................... but not quickly.

SFTW-Mac-Gag.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me a while to create the circuit board, so it pains me that the detail gets lost in the GIF.  So I'm going to take a liberty and upload the size as drawn (which is less than 1200 pixels wide).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Dean, that's the sort of thing that Filter Forge might do well.................... but not quickly.

Thanks Trevor. I created an action that duplicated the transistor and rotated it 15 degrees.  I did the rest manually. With so many layers, my computer eventually said - enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your action use Step & Repeat?  I did this just using the S&R shortcut Shift Ctrl Alt T

Filter Forge was not doing great with it.  The Fractal and Mandelbrot effects seem to create an arbitrary graphic that has no relationship to your original artwork.  It has a Drost effect, but these were the best I could do with a quick play.  At least S&R is predictable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean,

How about something like File>Place (with Link ticked), then Effect>Distort&Transform>Transform, then Rotate a number of copies with/without scaling and/or moving and setting the desired Reference Point (among the 9), with instant result and no increase in file size with three copies of the linked image each with 24 rotated copies (its only unforgivableness being its being (unspeakable) Illy speak, sorry)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Great to see the ideas from this simple object.

Graham - thanks for getting the ball rolling with those computer "pets".

Jacob - things did indeed change forever once these got into the big wide world. I see you've incorporated a previous SFTW background. That second image is a clever use of the object!
Rista - everything heading for the black hole , or is it heading for us?

Joan - You may just have started a new trend - we'll watch out for it.

Jane - t70's fashion meets Star Wars.

Dean - poetic licence on the shadows indeed !   I do like the idea behind the fractal - I'll have to give it a go.

Rafael - very good - and great use of the valves (tubes in the US)

Trevor - I didn't realise there were four transistors in those Apple machines. More powerful than I thought

Keep them coming - anyone who has stumbled over this, come and join in - all are welcome.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done Trevor and Jacob.

I did not use anything too smart with mine but have learned from yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean, if you want clever, check out Dave's Tech Wednesday where he combined Brush Symmetry with work path Step & Repeat.  Now that 'was' clever.

I'm hesitant to post the link because it appears to have both NDA and non-NDA content, but you can find it on the ACP forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that lovely stuff like this is kept secret from the average user who is allowed to pay his monthly tribute to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rista
The Tech Wednesdays are where ACPs share some tips and tricks.  Some content is made under NDA due to content or things that are mentioned during the discussions. This one looks like it's not NDA as the discussion has been hidden. Let me know if you can view it.
http://experts.adobeconnect.com/pozcpvyr5gq8/

Note - the "hidden" brush symmetry hidden modes are no longer hidden they now appear in the brush symmetry menu. The 3D volume functionality is broken in v20, so needs v19 to use.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hi Rista
The Tech Wednesdays are where ACPs share some tips and tricks.  Some content is made under NDA due to content or things that are mentioned during the discussions. This one looks like it's not NDA as the discussion has been hidden. Let me know if you can view it.
http://experts.adobeconnect.com/po zcpvyr5gq8/

Note - the "hidden" brush symmetry hidden modes are no longer hidden they now appear in the brush symmetry menu. The 3D volume functionality is broken in v20, so needs v19 to use.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I can open the page, but not input to the questions and cannot view the tutorial.

Please believe me, my question was just meant as a joke.

Rista

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
The questions you see at the beginning were just up on screen prior to the meeting starting. So they are recorded and you can't input now.
If you move the slider at the bottom you should be able to skip past them to the start of the session.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines