Highlighted

The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC profile description is invalid. Ignoring the profile

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently replaced my old laptop with a Dell XPS 15 laptop with 4K display.

After installing Adobe Light Room and Photoshop CC 2018 on it - I started encountering issues exporting photos from Light Room to Photoshop. Specifically, when I attempt to export an image from Light Room to Photoshop - I receive the following error "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC profile description is invalid. Ignoring the profile". When I click "Continue", Photoshop loads the image but the color is messed up and looks awful.

My current Light Room preferences are shown below:

I checked around on the web and can't find any instructions on how to fix this.

Does anyone know of a way to resolve this issue?

Thank you!

Patrick

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Paddy,

Click on the "Recommended" folder in your second screenshot. The standard profiles should be in there

Copy all those to the Windows>System32>spool>drivers>color folder

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC profile description is invalid. Ignoring the profile

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently replaced my old laptop with a Dell XPS 15 laptop with 4K display.

After installing Adobe Light Room and Photoshop CC 2018 on it - I started encountering issues exporting photos from Light Room to Photoshop. Specifically, when I attempt to export an image from Light Room to Photoshop - I receive the following error "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC profile description is invalid. Ignoring the profile". When I click "Continue", Photoshop loads the image but the color is messed up and looks awful.

My current Light Room preferences are shown below:

I checked around on the web and can't find any instructions on how to fix this.

Does anyone know of a way to resolve this issue?

Thank you!

Patrick

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Paddy,

Click on the "Recommended" folder in your second screenshot. The standard profiles should be in there

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 19, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an identical post only a couple of weeks ago. Was that you?

First, try Adobe RGB. If that works, there really is something odd with your ProPhoto profile.

Second, see if you actually have it installed. It's under Windows > system32 > spool > drivers > color. Then there's a copy under Program Files (x86) > Common Files > Adobe > Color > Profiles. I don't know which one is accessed here, but ProPhoto should be in both, and it's 1kB.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D Fosse. Yes, I posted the same question last weekend but thought it got buried so I resubmitted.

Thanks for the trouble shooting steps. I will give Adobe RGB a try.

I also looked in the file paths you mentioned. The Windows System32 color driver folder did not have a ProPhoto color profile file. Here is what is there:

And here is what is in the Adobe color profiles folder. I don't see the sRGB, AdobeRGB or ProPhoto profiles listed.

Is there a place a can download the color profiles and save them to these folders?

Thank you,

Patrick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2017 0
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paddy,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave! I just copied all the files over and the ICC profile issue I encountered is no longer occurring. Appreciate the help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2017 1
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem described above, I am on Windows 10. The difference is, those profiles already exist in the both folders mentioned and I still have the problem? Any suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! there's something peculiar I've witnessed on both of your and the OP's screenshots:

some of the profiles have no icon, and the first of your screenshot doesn't display their size, but I'm assuming that they are of 0kb in size, meaning they're corrupted, loading any file that may be associated with it may pop those messages as well, and you'll need to copy the files from the Recommended folder to windows's profile folder (as seen on both of your screenshots and suggested by Dave). I suspect the ones that without the icons are the corrupted ones, in your case I believe those are AdobeRGB, sRGB (But theres also another one in the same folder, so I'm not quite sure if it needs to be replaced) and also I believe it should ask you for administrator privileges in order to complete the transfer from the Recommended folder to %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\color.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a worthless article that does not address the problem in any way this is clearly written by the tech support team. They need to fix the code the way I know that this article was written by the tech support team is the fact that they do not include any of the steps necessary to find the recommend folder and the person complaining has no issue with finding the folder. Photoshop 2019 is coded wrong and has a bug that they are not able to fix. I would stay away from Photoshop 2019 on Windows 10 until they fix the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2019 2
Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robertc90806890  wrote

This is a worthless article that does not address the problem in any way this is clearly written by the tech support team. They need to fix the code the way I know that this article was written by the tech support team is the fact that they do not include any of the steps necessary to find the recommend folder and the person complaining has no issue with finding the folder. Photoshop 2019 is coded wrong and has a bug that they are not able to fix. I would stay away from Photoshop 2019 on Windows 10 until they fix the problem.

Robert

The answer was written by me , not Adobe or a tech support team, and succesfully addressed the OPs problem (as confirmed by the poster). Contrary to your statement, Windows 10 and CC2019 do work together correctly with ICC profiles - it is essential for our daily work that they do.

If you have an issue then describe it in detail (preferably in a separate post rather than tagging on the end of a 2 year old post) and we will try and help you.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the exact same error message and nothing works to resolve the

problem. I did not have any problems with Windows 7 and the older version

of photoshop. Both companies tech support teams are not able to fix the

problem. Thats why windows 7 and the old version of Photoshop are better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2019 1
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you start a new post and describe the exact version of Windows (use winver) and the exact version of Photoshop (use Help - System info).

Then describe the exact circumstances where you see this message and post a link to an example file that gives the message.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue using a Dell XPS.  Would love to have a solution soon.  Have many vacation picture to edit but open from Lightroom to PS without losing all the color edits!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, the posts which you use to prove "Photoshop 2019 is coded wrong and has a bug that they are not able to fix" and to recommend "I would stay away from Photoshop 2019 " were written when CC 2018 was current. Your insight is deep but  baffling.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fix that worked for me on a PC was just go into the Color Management System using the search bar. Make sure Photoshop is not running. Click on add virtual sRGB and set as your default monitor. So far working fo me. Thanks to ezfixes--not my fix. 

clipboard_image_0.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Robert, your post fixed my issue.

I've been pulling my hair out for days trying to figure out the problem. Thankfully I found this thread. On a Dell Xps15 as well but using a Asus 4k monitor as my main screen.

Thanks again, 

Luke

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert your solution worked for me on a Dell XPS 15 running WIndows 10.  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020 0
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this is a different problem than in the original post. You obviously had a defective monitor profile. That's something else, but it displays a roughly similar error message.

You should never set up the WCS virtual device profile as your default. That's not an icc specification profile and it has a different purpose. But luckily, all this causes Windows to "give up" and reject all monitor profiles, and substitute the default which is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

There are better ways to do this.

We could have straightened this out immediately if you had started a new thread and described the problem accurately, including exact error message - instead of tagging on to an old thread with "I have the same problem". Because it wasn't the same problem.

The proper fix is to use a calibrator to make a new monitor profile. But if you don't have one, sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is often close enough for most people.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks robertm.  Your solution worked for me.  PS ceased working after I installed a 2020 Asus ProArt 24in monitor yesterday. Due to 'invalid ICC profile.'  Now it's fine.  What a pain.  Thanks for the solution!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read what I wrote in response to that suggestion? Don't do it.

The virtual device profiles are not icc profiles. They can't be used for this, they have a very different purpose. The reason it "appears" to work is that this causes Windows to clean the plate, throw out all monitor profiles, and hopefully fall back to the system default, which is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. And even that may be horribly wrong if your monitor is a wide gamut model, which some of the Asus ProArts are.

The solution is to use a calibrator.

There is only one requirement for a monitor profile. It has to be an accurate description of your monitor's actual and current behavior. Only a calibrator can make that. sRGB is at best an approximation, not accurate at all, but possibly acceptable if you're not too critical. But if your monitor really is a wide gamut model, there is no discussion: then you must have a calibrator. No wide gamut monitor should ever be sold without one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but that's a very old message I wrote and it worked at the time
and I actually got another response from someone today that it worked for
them yesterday. I don't. have a dog in the fight. It was just a suggestion
to help folk out. You're welcome to correct and remove my post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roberts fix also fixed my problem on a Dell XPS 15 laptop.  I have had this problem off and on and yes, it happened to me after loading Photoshop CC 2019 as well.  I copied the sRGB IEC61966-2.1.icc profile to both the folders specified in the beginning of this post but that didn't fix the problem.  Going into the color management app and setting my color management to my profile created by my Spyder color managed profile for the Dell 9560 and making it the default worked for me.  Why this changes occasionally is beyond me.  I suspect it may have something to do with On One's Photo Raw that I use as a capture software.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse writes

The proper fix is to use a calibrator to make a new monitor profile. But if you don't have one, sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is often close enough for most people.

Absolutely right about the thread and to advise getting a calibrator, but I'd like to mention wide gamut displays

There is an exception when it comes to to the sRGB's suitability as a "stand-in"  display profile - and that’s if the user has a wide gamut display.

Just wanted to mention that - it doesn’t apply to this particular user, it seems, but another may read this post and follow and she may have a wide gamut screen, as they are increasingly widely available, including from Dell I believe (along with all the problems they create which we've discussed her so often).

In the case of a wide gamut display and display profile corruption issues, Adobe RGB would probably make an OK stand in screen profile. 

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I been using Adobe RGB (1998), and It works very well. Under Color Management Policies, I have It on Preserve Embedded Profiles. In other words, If I open an Image that Is not Adobe RGB, It opens as Untagged RGB, therefore It still opens with the Original color Profile. Alson Inside the Camera Raw Preferences, my Color Space Is also Adobe RGB (1998).

Later If I want to save images for example for Email or the web, I use the File-Export-Save For Web (Legacy) option, and I Check the Convert to sRGB Box.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you don't understand. Untagged means there is no profile. In that case Photoshop will display it using the working space. If that happens to be the same as the file was originally created in, it will appear to be correct. But there is still no profile, and it may display very differently elsewhere.

Untagged files usually come from Export or Save For Web. For some reason they both strip the profile by default. You need to manually check the box to "embed color profile".

Just checking "convert to sRGB" does not embed the profile.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question, please. Let say a Client sends you an Image which is Untagged, no profile, and he wants you to work on that Image with the same colors as is, and when you save it and send it to him he does not want the original colors to be different. When opening the Untagged Image in photoshop Do you convert It to Adobe RGB 1998?

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you need to explain to your client that an untagged file is undefined. There is no "same colors as is", because the client hasn't specified them. You do that with the profile. That's what it's for.

And in any case, this is a two-step process: even if you do have an embedded document profile, it won't display correctly unless you also have an accurate monitor profile on your system, one created with a calibrator that measures and writes a profile (a map) of your monitor's response. Then Photoshop can translate from one profile into the other, and show you how the file "really looks".

Of course - if you say this to your client you will most likely be met with a blank stare. Most people don't know what an icc profile is or what a calibrator is for. But this process of color management is how you define color. This is the solution to this particular problem.

When you receive an untagged file you need to make an educated guess. Ideally you need to assign the same profile as the file was originally created in. The odds are that this is either sRGB or at least something close to it. Without the reference of a color managed process, sRGB is the standard assumption. If that looks obviously wrong, you try another profile to see if that looks better.

The reason sRGB is a safe assumption, is that most monitors are pretty close to sRGB natively. Not a match, but close. So without color management, that's the color space the numbers refer to. That's the color space the file was created in.

If the client insists on "same color", but the file is untagged, maybe give him/her a short version of the above. Say it is possible to define colors with accuracy, but there's a basic protocol to follow, and it starts with an embedded icc profile.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. This Is What I have done.

Inside the Color Settings, I always have the Preserve Embedded Profiles On for RGB, CMYK, and Gray. Ok, When I shoot RAW, for example, with  Canon 5D Mark VI, the camera Color Profile is Adobe RGB 1998, Therefore, Inside Photoshop It Is going to be the same Color Profile Adobe RGB 1998. If I save It as.Tif file or.JPG, I have the ICC Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)  Box Checked. Sometimes, Inside Camera Raw, I use ProPhoto 16 bit.

Now, If I have the original Adobe RGB 1998 Image, and If I want for example Composite, add a bunch of sRGB Pastes them Into my original Adobe RGB Image, In that case, I will Convert the SRGB Images to Adobe RGB 1998. But If I want to add or paste Bunch of Untagged RGB Into my Original Adobe RGB 1998 Image, even though, Inside the Color settings Ask When Pasting Is checked, Photoshop opens the image without asking, and If I copy-paste or drag the Untagged RGB Images into the original Adobe RGB 1988Image, I don't see any color Issues. As far as Save For the Web, I remember In the past watching Deke McClelland Photoshop Tutorial, he said when saving for the Web It's better to CheckBox both the  Convert to sRGB and also the Embed Color Profile. I notice when I do that and reopen that image compare It to the Original, I don't see Color Issue.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, Thank you very for your help.

Inside the Color Settings, I always have the Preserve Embedded Profiles On for RGB, CMYK, and Gray. Ok, When I shoot RAW, for example, with  Canon 5D Mark VI, the camera Color Profile is Adobe RGB 1998, Therefore, Inside Photoshop It Is going to be the same Color Profile Adobe RGB 1998. If I save It as.Tif file or.JPG, I have the ICC Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)  Box Checked. Sometimes, Inside Camera Raw, I use ProPhoto 16 bit.

Now, If I have the original Adobe RGB 1998 Image, and If I want for example Composite, add a bunch of sRGB Pastes them Into my original Adobe RGB Image, In that case, I will Convert the SRGB Images to Adobe RGB 1998. But If I want to add or paste Bunch of Untagged RGB Into my Original Adobe RGB 1998 Image, even though, Inside the Color settings Ask When Pasting Is checked, Photoshop opens the image without asking, and If I copy-paste or drag the Untagged RGB Images into the original Adobe RGB 1988Image, I don't see any color Issues. As far as Save For the Web, I remember In the past watching Deke McClelland Photoshop Tutorial, he said when saving for the Web It's better to CheckBox both the  Convert to sRGB and also the Embed Color Profile.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When an untagged RGB file opens into PS, it temporarily inherits the default working color space profile* for display

*(as set in edit/"color settings") .

You wrote - it "opens with the Original color Profile" but that’s not actually correct.

When saving the file, you can opt to check 'embed profile'.

Interestingly (somewhat frustratingly, actually) save for web will convert to sRGB but does not automatically embed the sRGB profile.  

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 1