• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TWAIN interface for Photoshop CC

Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is There a TWAIN interface for Photoshop CC?  I've looked everywhere on the web and can't even find a mention of it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can use the CS6 Twain plugin,but only for 32 bit Photoshop CC. I tried it out and it does work. I prefer Vuescan mainly because it does not place Photoshop on hold while scanning and it works with 64 bit Photoshop.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/twain-plug-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear about VueScan. I used it for a very long time with a SCSI Nikon scanner, and like it back then.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had known of Vuescan for a good many years, Bill. I had basically owned Epson letter-size USB scanners and my first scanner c. 1998 was a Microtek legal-size (8 x 14) SCSI scanner. (USB shortly after replaced all the different serial, parallel, and scsci port flavors out there.)

The Epson Twain drivers sufficed in the 32-bit world,so it didn't make much sense then to shell out for Vuescan.

Then I got a Brother 11x 17 scanner/printer for around $200 and their Twain driver was limited. That and as my first 64 bit Windows and Mac computers arrived, I found out 64 bit Twain support was dead in the water. I decided to go for the Vuescan Pro license last year.

Odd enough, my scanner communicates with my PCs through a wireless router, no more cables.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to know that it's still around, and working for you.

Thanks for jogging my memory, as I have an older scanner, that I might try to press back into service, and will immediately try VueScan.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The seats are generous as well. One license entitles you to install on up to 4 computers, Mac or PC and you have a choice between 32 and 64 bit versions depending on the OS. He updates very often, and answers his emails in case you have problems or questions. The Pro license is $70,but a lot of bang for the buck.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) Support selection for scanners is what you use. File-->Import-->WIA Support. You will be prompted to select WIA compatible devices, and if your scanner's drivers are properly installed it should be there. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but this entire thread sounds like an advertisement/spam for Vuescan, which is purchase-priced software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I have read there will be no 64 bit TWAIN.  If you like those features a 3rd party software is the only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acceuro wrote:

The WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) Support selection for scanners is what you use.

Depends on the control you want over your scan. There's a reason I prefer TWAIN over WIA, and I'm very sure that's what Steve wanted,because he can see the WIA option next to TWAIN.

1. WIA uses a common dialog for all devices while TWAIN uses a dialog created by the device manufacturer.  Practically speaking, this almost always means that the TWAIN dialog will provide more options and advanced control over the device.

2. TWAIN allows you to use custom capabilities that the device manufacturer has created even though they don't exist in the TWAIN specifications.

3. In general, when a device supports both Twain and WIA, TWAIN is better for scanners and WIA is better for acquiring images from cameras and video devices.

So with that in mind, I gave him the free answer for 32-bit Photoshop CS6. Adobe's own Twain plugin.

However there is no free TWAIN software for 64-bit Photoshop. My recommendation was for the paid 3rd party software, Vuescan, that supports both 32 and 64 bit TWAIN operations in Photoshop for just about any scanner out there.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but this entire thread sounds like an advertisement/spam for Vuescan, which is purchase-priced software.

It isn't. We have forum moderators and if that were the case, it would have been deleted 10 months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting stuff.  I have a neg/slide scanner in a cupboard that has not been used in ten years!  Unfortunately it needs a SCSI connection, so I am not sure I could ever interface it with my current system, and now I think about it, I am not sure I ever want to experience the horrors of scanning old negs again.

But I used to love Vuescan, so maybe I'll look at it again after reading this thread. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the WIA interface is very basic, though with my HP Envy all-in-one printer / scanner the scans have been surprisingly good through that very simple interface.  So far, sufficient for my needs every time.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 12, 2014 Jul 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only is WIA very basic, but with the CC 2014 updates, Ps-64 now immediately crashes when clicking anything in the WIA popup. I'm guessing it may be related to 64-bit support. Rather than install Ps-32 or go back to CS6, I guess I'll try Vuescan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found it crashes too, unless I click only the Start button.  Then it works.

Did you try clicking just the Start button?

ClickJustTheStartButton.png

That leads to...

SelectPrinter.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first time I tried START, it appeared to work, and then displayed some empty error popups. After cycling the scanner off/on, the START button now goes through the correct sequence, and appears to work consistently. But it still crashes Ps instantly if I try to un-check either of the initial options (Open in Ps, or Create subfolder).

Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there's a known bug with pressing any of the buttons in the first dialog other than [Start].

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I hadn't known it was known, but it's good to know.

Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines