Why is my content aware button greyed out?

Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My content aware button is greyed out.  Why?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why is my content aware button greyed out?

Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My content aware button is greyed out.  Why?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 18, 2015 3
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one?

Did you remember to make a selection first?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2015 3
Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've has PS for 24 hours and already my content aware button under fill is grayed out. I watched a video on repairing damaged pix's, so if the above "did I make a selection first?" comment is supposed to make me feel better about PS, or teach me something, It did not. I shut down restarted. HOW DO I GET CONTENT AWARE back???????

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2015 0
Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show screen shots? Maybe you're on a layer that can't use content aware fill, like a smart object.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2015 2
Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely deleted the pix (the VERY FIRST pix) I did. I don't know how to do layers, but in case, I have it set to "photograpy" on right side, and hit reset photograpy. I shut down program, reopened and added completely new pix. I'd send you a screen shot, but unless I can get my phone which has a rear camera, you're over estimating the term "beginner" I have used PS years ago, and was able to redo old pixs, the video showing content aware made me extremely excited (lot of my pixs been destroyed (house fire/water damage). There HAS to be a RESET, or total flaw! thank you for trying

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2015 0
Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need a camera to take screenshots. Here's how to take and post them: FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2015 1
Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Reset Content Aware Fill box, hold down the Alt key on your keyboard. The Cancel button will change to Reset. Click on that Reset to get it  back to defaults.

This tutorial should help you:

Fix photos with Content-Aware | Adobe Photoshop CC tutorials

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2015 1
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep at it mate , it gets easier. I wanted to throw my computer at the wall when I first started.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep coming to this thread and comment like a dumb person doing the same mistake all over again! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm trying to extend parts of a background layer duplicate which is not locked. It doesnt seem to matter what kind of selection I have, content aware and many other options are still grayed out.screenshotps.jpg

when not selected I can at least transform and scale up. but I would like to extend parts of the image using content aware fill.

screenshotps2.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is the most appropriate way to resolve this issue, but it worked for me.

- After image is placed, I keep the layer selected and Command + J to duplicate it. (Work from this layer).

- Go to top: Layer > Smart Objects > Rasterize

- Once you've made your selection (with Lasso or Patch tool) you should be able to Edit Fill now.

I'm not sure why Smart Objects can't use Content Aware Fill seamlessly, but this way might help you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2017 6
Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

casper11  escribió

I don't know if this is the most appropriate way to resolve this issue, but it worked for me.

- After image is placed, I keep the layer selected and Command + J to duplicate it. (Work from this layer).

- Go to top: Layer > Smart Objects > Rasterize

- Once you've made your selection (with Lasso or Patch tool) you should be able to Edit Fill now.

I'm not sure why Smart Objects can't use Content Aware Fill seamlessly, but this way might help you.

That works for me. Thank you so much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 1
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tips, but it didn't work for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me neither. i can't click the rasterized, it's greyed out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2020 0
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works like a magic.....thank u so so much

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Suzane. I had this same question today, and the way that I solved it was by using the lasso tool (L) to select a smudge on my lens, hitting SHIFT + F5, clicking on "Contents:", and clicking on content-aware. I hope this helps anyone who stumbles on this forum!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2018 0
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, but unfortunately it did not work for me either, but thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rasterize the layer whose content you want to fill. It should work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0