• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why my stroke is pixelated ?

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with stroke in PS CS6. (2) When I use stroke on my curve line it looks pixelated and I don't know why ? (1) I did same line before and everything was clean and not pixelated.

Screen:

WTF.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you apply the stroke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Layer Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They both look pixelated to me.

I don't understand how you created that image.  It looks like a (not completely) blue brush, with a soft inner glow and outer hard-edged glow?  What's causing the color shift in the blue?  Is it part of the brush you're using, or are you applying some sort of effect to it after?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the zoomed version first one is broken definitely.

WTF3.png

The problem is only with stroke. It doesn't matter what effect I add. Here is just red brush with stroke.

WTF2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the spacing on your brush set to? Setting is found in Brush Panel, Brush Tip Shape pane. Try setting it to 0% spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter what spacing I set Even when I set it to 0% stroke is pixelated.

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the blend mode on the Stroke FX something other than Normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blend mode is set to normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd soften the edge of the brush by a percent or two or soften the stroke by a pixel or two. You are getting single hard pixels on the initial brush stroke so you are also getting them on the layer stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same effect. Stroke is still pixelated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the Fetzer valve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the Good and Bad stroke docs the same ppi resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes both 300ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the stroke set to inside, outside or centered. I can reproduce this if I set a stroke on centered but it goes away if I choose inside or outside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was trying to duplicate your first example, every brush I tried gave me the jagged stroke edge; honestly CrossONE, I'd like to know how you created the first smooth example!

Both of them was made in same way:

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpgs4.jpg

Is the stroke set to inside, outside or centered. I can reproduce this if I set a stroke on centered but it goes away if I choose inside or outside.

outside

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this, and had the same result, with both CS6 and CC2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try using an Outer Glow Layer style instead of a Stroke Layer Style.

Untitled-2.png

100% view

Untitled-4.png

Untitled-3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my experience, this effect is common when applying a stroke to a soft-edged pixel layer. ( You'd see the same thing if you were to try a drop shadow or outer glow with the spread/choke setting at 100%)

The only way I know to 'fix' this, is to firm-up the transparent edges of your layer. When I was trying to duplicate your first example, every brush I tried gave me the jagged stroke edge; honestly CrossONE, I'd like to know how you created the first smooth example!   I can't get the brush tool to produce hard enough edges to avoid the jaggies, though pen & shape vector layers work great.

Workaround:

1. Create a new Solid Color layer
  2. Select the mask that was created with the layer, and ctrl/cmd+I to invert the mask.
  3. Paint on the mask.
  4. When done painting, apply the stroke layer effect.
  5. With the mask selected, press ctrl/cmd+L to edit the levels for your mask. (Or find Levels in the Adjustments panel)
  6. By narrowing the output levels, you can "firm up" the edges to your desired level.

photoshop-stroke-effects.png

PS; by painting, blurring and using the levels adjustment on masks like this, you can achieve a bunch of cool effects and shapes, it's worth experimenting with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A layer-effect-only solution occurred to me using drop shadow and editing the contour:

photoshop-stroke-effects-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting your brush to 100% Hardness and 1% Spacing, use your brush and then try the Stroke and the stroke should be somewhat smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it before, didn't help. It is not the brush problem but stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if resetting the photoshop cs6 preferences makes any difference.

reset photoshop preferences

Press and hold down the Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Shift+Command+Option on a mac) keys just after starting the launch of photoshop cs6

Keep holding the keys down until you get a dialog asking if you want to delete the adobe photoshop settings file

Press Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't help. I tried to reinstall PS and I still have a problem with stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try applying a gaussian blur and see if that helps soften up the edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines