• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import HEVC into Premiere Elements 2021 - HEVC video extension installed

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier elements is installed in windows 11 PC. I have installed HEVC video extension app. I have deleted the cache files. But premier elements is still unable to import an HEVC format media file. The Premiere elements 2021 is version 19.0.

What do I need to do to be able to import HEVC mdeia files?

Steve

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

I love that even after 3 years this problem isnt fixed.

By @fabiank11422104

If you are here to slam Adobe, you certainly have the right to do that.  However, I have no trouble with HEVC/H.265 footage in Premiere Elements on my Windows 11 computer.  I did have to install the correct codec from Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What device or software created these files and what is their resolution and frame rate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the Microsoft paid for HEVC video extension app. I have deleted the cache files. But premier elements is still unable to import an HEVC format media file. The Premiere elements 2021 is version 19.0.

The files work fine in the Films & Tv and Photos apps. They were created with an iphone sc (2020)

I can use VLC to convert them to mp4 – I can then import some but not all of the files.

I can’t see frame rate of the original videos or anything useful in propoerties/details

Regards

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been many months since I installed the HEVC codec on my Windows computer.   Microsoft offered two.  One was free.  The other was $0.99.  The free one did not work.  It is for another purpose.  The paid for codec does work.  In my case, I created a problem for myself because the free HEVC codec set up my computer to block the installation of the dollar codec.   

This topic should get you going if it is a codec issue:   https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-elements-discussions/faq-what-should-i-do-if-premiere-elemen... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks - I've not got a solution for this. I've been in direct contact with Adobe support - I have tried premiere 2022 and that still has the same problem. As I said Films & Tv, the photo app and vlc all can display the video. I sent the video to adobe support. Adobe support have gone quiet - no response after my saying 2022 didn't work and sending them the video. Rather disappointing 😞

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still haven't answered my initial question. What device created this video?

Also, what is the resolution and frame rate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't reply because adobe support asked me to email them. The videos were created on an iphone SE (2020). 

The properties of the file don't show any information, even the details just shows basic file name, size etc

I can post a file here if that would help.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and the copy the text of this report and paste it to the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you are:

General Complete name : C:\Users\steve\OneDrive\Our shared stuff\Our videos\January to December 2021\e September to October 2021\IMG_2183.MOV Format : MPEG-4 Format profile : QuickTime File size : 3.64 MiB Duration : 2 s 700 ms Overall bit rate : 11.3 Mb/s Encoded date : UTC 2021-09-26 13:04:20 Tagged date : UTC 2021-09-26 13:04:22 Writing library : Apple QuickTime com_apple_quicktime_livep : 1 com_apple_quicktime_conte : 20B6463A-B2B6-4A3C-A83A-F53BEF1974B4 com_apple_quicktime_livep : 0.940 com_apple_quicktime_livep : 4 com_apple_quicktime_make : Apple com_apple_quicktime_model : iPhone SE (2nd generation) com_apple_quicktime_softw : 15.0 com_apple_quicktime_creat : 2021-09-26T14:04:20+0100 Video ID : 1 Format : HEVC Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding Format profile : Main Format level : 5 Format tier : Main Codec ID : hvc1 Duration : 2 s 700 ms Bit rate : 10.5 Mb/s Width : 1 920 pixels Clean aperture width : 1 744 pixels Height : 1 440 pixels Display aspect ratio : 4:3 Frame rate mode : Constant Frame rate : 30.000 FPS Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.127 Stream size : 3.38 MiB (93%) Title : Core Media Video Encoded date : UTC 2021-09-26 13:04:20 Tagged date : UTC 2021-09-26 13:04:22 Color range : Full Color primaries : Display P3 Transfer characteristics : BT.709 Matrix coefficients : BT.601 Metas : 3,4,5 Codec configuration box : hvcC Audio ID : 2 Format : PCM Format settings : Little Codec ID : lpcm Duration : 2 s 698 ms Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 705.6 kb/s Channel(s) : 1 channel Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz Bit depth : 16 bits Stream size : 233 KiB (6%) Title : Core Media Audio Encoded date : UTC 2021-09-26 13:04:20 Tagged date : UTC 2021-09-26 13:04:22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found with Google... Nov 3, 2021 â€” HVC1 is a file extension that contains RAW data encoded with H.265/HEVC video compression file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

If you could share that clip via DropBox or similar, I would be happy to try it on my computer.   It could determine if it is Premiere Elements not working, the clip being faulty or perhaps something with your computer.  

In the meantime, consider changing the settings on you iPhone.  I don't have one, but I think there is a "most compatible" setting for video files.   The files will be a little larger but the quality will be the same and they will be easier for any editing system to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. There are some strange specs in this file -- which is why it's giving Steve219 problems.

There's that HVC1 codec. 

But there's also those strange dimensions -- 1440 px tall with 4:3 aspect ratio. That makes it 1920x1440 instead of the standard 1920x1080.

Is there any way to set that camera on the iPhone to shoot 1920x1080p30 HEVC? That alone may resolve these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill - thank you - it's a short clip so I can share it here - it's not of anything personal.

It does work fine in other apps - if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be questioning premiere elements so much.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what is wrong with your clip, but it does not work.  I tried it in both PrE 2021 and 2022.  

It may work fine in video players, but Premiere Elements is a video editor.  There is a difference.  

I ran it through the (free) converter program Handbrake and it worked fine.  It was not what I would consider a normal aspect ratio, but it still worked in PrE.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say the dimensions are a big issue -- as well as the new Apple codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill - thank you converting the clips using Handbrake worked fine. Shame Premiere can't import them directly - I'm sure you will get the same question from others.

Thank you again

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Because our TV and computer screens have evolved to a 16x9 aspect ratio, that is a common standard.  Because it has been in use for a long time, the H.264 codec is another common standard.  (I'm not entirely sure, but I think it is free to use as a "public domain" standard.)   All video systems for shooting, editing and play back will work well with an H.264 codec in an MP4 container file.   Also important is use of a constant, not variable frame rate.  

In this forum, three video capture devices that have "special needs" can use something else.  It can be file size, ultra slow motion or low processor demand.   The usual difficult devices are iPhones, GoPro cameras and screen capture programs.  Users of those do show up here looking for solutions.   iPhones and GoPros can be set to universal standards for most needs.     

If it were me, I would find out the choices in my phone and pick one that is the most universally editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply from Dec 9 which is at the bottom because I used the BLUE reply button

H.264 works, H.265 was reported to not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't save the link (I don't edit that type of file) but there was another discussion recently that H.264 worked and H.265 did not work... so what is inside your file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements 2021 is propably not optimized for these kind of files.

Premiere Pro imports them just fine.

Cannot test Elements as I refuse to buy the codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot test Elements as I refuse to buy the codec.

By @Ann Bens

I did spend the ninety-nine cents.  My only source of HEVC is my Android phone and it works.  A few users here have shared iPhone and GoPro HEVC footage and most have worked OK in Premiere Elements 2021 and 2022.  A few have not and I think it was because of high frame rates.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not the 99 cents. Adobe should provide the codec with the program, as may other consumer programs do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not the 99 cents. Adobe should provide the codec with the program, as may other consumer programs do.

By @Ann Bens

Of course they should, Ann.  But, they don't.  My personal dream is that, one day, Adobe can do something for videography like they do for photography.   The $10 USD very successful Photographers plan has Photoshop, a few versions of Lightroom and a portfolio system.   For videographers it is Elements vs Pro and maybe Rush.  Pro is twice the monthly money and leaves out Audition and After Effects.  Elements is missing audio sync and multi camera.  

My choice is that Adobe can figure out how to balance and provide for  the "fun of it group" and the "pros" at the same time. 

I'm deep into the "fun of it group".   Which group are you in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which group are you in?

By @Bill Sprague

Non, as I dont use the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/unable-to-install-mc-enc-hevc-dll/m-p/128513...

Go to this link and scroll down until you see what I posted. We solved it there. Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines