• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEVC support in Premiere Elements 2022

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just finished building a system for editing video, and I am trying to use the HEVC codec for Windows 10.  I have 4K 60fps video encoded from a GoPro Hero 7.   The files play fine from Media Player, which runs at about 25% of the CPU.  When I try to put the files into a project in Premiere Elements, the whole program becomes non-responsive.  The CPU maxes out at about 2%, and the disk is running in the 3Mbps range.    I have a Ryzen 9 5950x w/64 GB of RAM and 2 1TB 980 Pro M2 drives.   I have a 7-minute movie, and the play button does nothing.  If I try to render it says it will take 3 hours. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

You clip codec is HEVC/H.265.  Mine, from my DJI, is AVC1/H.264.  

Yours loaded and played at the first try.  When I expanded the timeline, I saw a yellow preview render line and it took about 10 seconds.  But, then there was no preview where there had been one.   

I started over with a new project and turned off both the Hardware Acceleration and GPU in General Preferences.  I started a fresh project and tried a couple edits.  The preview screen stayed active.  Output render to a 4K 60, Hig

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements can't handle 60 fps 4K. It should work with 30 fps 4K though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the 30fps video, and that seems to work fine.   To be clear, when you select project settings, and the program provided by adobe lets you choose 3840x2160 59.94 frames/second, it can't actually handle that?  Or I can write out 30fps video at 59.94 frames/second? 

I might try reencoding everything with ffmpeg to 30fps, editing it at half speed, and then speeding it back up with ffmpeg.  It seems like this should be supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

This topic came up recently.  I found some GoPro 4K60 files and it worked without issue.  I opened the project by sliding the clip to the timeline to activate the auto project settings. 

My system has an Intel i7.  I don't know if that makes it function different than tha Ryzen.

If it helps, send me a clip via DropBox or similar and I will be happy to try it for verification. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a 2-second clip.  If I try to play nothing happens, and the rendering estimate is in hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You clip codec is HEVC/H.265.  Mine, from my DJI, is AVC1/H.264.  

Yours loaded and played at the first try.  When I expanded the timeline, I saw a yellow preview render line and it took about 10 seconds.  But, then there was no preview where there had been one.   

I started over with a new project and turned off both the Hardware Acceleration and GPU in General Preferences.  I started a fresh project and tried a couple edits.  The preview screen stayed active.  Output render to a 4K 60, High Quality MP4 took about 20 seconds.  

The really bad news is that the output files were terrible.  Although I can keep the editor working with your HEVC footage, I couldn't get any usable output.  

I spent about an hour trying things.  Without more footage to "test" I'm unsure of my conclusion.  But, it appears Steve is right that Premiere Elements can't edit 4K 60 when the codec is HEVC/H.265.  However, it can when it is AVC1/H.264.

Does your GoPro allow a choice to use H.264?   If not, consider using the (free) program Handbrake for a conversion.  I've not tried it on 4K60, but suspect it will work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you for looking at it!   That saved me a lot of time.  Unfortunately, I'm using a GoPro Hero Black 7.   I was hoping to use 4K 60fps, but that is HEVC only.  I can encode at 4K 30fps with H.264, but its a little disappointing with the new system.  Thanks, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements can't handle 60 fps 4K. It should work with 30 fps 4K though.

By @Steve Grisetti

Steve,

On edit, an hour later:  It may be that Premiere Elements is OK with 4K60 as long as it is H.264 and not HEVC!  

Due respect....  You've been my teacher for a decade plus! 

I've tried it with some shared GoPro files and my own DJI camera.  4K60 works OK on my Lenevo Laptop with PrE 2022.    It worked with 2021 as well. 

Footage from my DJI Pocket 2 camera:  

File.JPG

Settings.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 or 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your video codec is different.  Mine is HEVC4:2:0.   Project settings are otherwise the same.   I uploaded a 2-second video clip if you would like to try it.  I couldn't get to the window showing the top picture, but I will attach what the file properties look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put your clip through Handbrake to a H.264 file.  I tried it in Premiere Elements and it worked!  The editing, preview rendering and output encoding were quick.  The resulting output file appeared equal to the source.  

My understanding is that the primary purpose of H.265 is small files through instensive coding.  Decoding for editing makes it harder for the editing program and computer.   If you can stand the larger files and you can set your GoPro to H.264 it might make it all work better.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This works, too.   

ffmpeg -i GX013265.MP4 output2.mp4

The output file is editable.   I'm already using this to concat MP4 files together, so I can probably make it work.    Thanks, again!  I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines