• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPhone MOV not loaded - Codec error

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to use Premier Elements with my iPhone photos but they wouldn't import. Looking into forums or the web reveals that this is a known issue... so I don't get it, most media developers work with photoshop and mac and iPhone, why not fixing this issue.

I do have an iPhone X and started to import into Premier Elements 2018 latest version. When importing the photos onto my Mac with PE2018 it gives me an error that the codec is not supported.

It's defiantly not an option for me to convert my files to another format because I have to convert a couple of hundred and thats a no go...

Hase anyone a solution for this. Again, MAC latest version, iPhoneX and Premier Element 2018 latest version.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

As I suspected, the issue is with the video. Not only does that iPhone video use a variable frame rate, but it also use the HEVC H.265 codec rather than the traditional H.264 codec. Both of those issues can cause the problems you describe.

To edit this video, you can run it through the free download Handbrake. Unfortunately your original video is 4K, and I'm not sure Handbrake can convert video to larger than 1920x1080.

So beyond that I'm not sure what to suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this may be an "old thread", I am having a similar issue with Premier Elements 2022.

While editing my video (between two different camers), all looked just fine.

But when I created an ISO file for a DVD, suddenly SOME of the videos MOV from my iPhone 11 show the "missing video" screen, while others are just fine. If there was a compatibility issue, I would expect it to have been aparant from the get-go, and be consistant.

I am attaching two files of MediaInfo.  (1) is from a file that gives the error, and (2) is from a file that works.  They were created on the same iPhone 11 within 2 hours of each other with no setting changes made.

I have spent 3 days getting my "final video" ready, and would not enjoy having to start over with Handberake-converted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWSmith,

The HEVC/H.265 issues of a couple years ago should not be causing your problem.   My guess would be that there is some sort of hardware or corrupt file problem.  That's rare, but it happens.   There is no other reason that footage from the same phone at the same time won't work the same.  

It might help if you posted a screen shot of the "missing video" screen.  There might be a clue there.   It would also help if you explained the file structure you are using and where the "missing" videos are stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the pointer to several of the videos got corrupted (somehow).  Even in the Project Assets, the thumbnail was showing a failure.  When I right-clicked on each bad link, and chose "Replace Footage" and pointed it to the original video, it all worked again - WITHOUT LOSING 3 days of editing work!  Yay!  I'm happy now (although confused as to how the links got corrupted).  I made sure to save my project again after fixing the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>made sure to save my project again after fixing the links

What you MAY want to do is a save as to save your project with a new name

When working on a long project I will do that once a week, then, after awhile, I will delete the old projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John writes that he will save large long projects to a new name about once a week.   I do it at every major step such as adding audio, transitions, effecst or titles!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines