• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laptop Hardware guidelines for Premier Elements

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ugrading to a new/better/faster laptop so my editing/rendering in PE won't be so slow.  The specs here seem overly simplistic/generic: https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

Can someone recommend some general guidelines for the optimal laptop hardware specs for PE (minimum processor speed, graphics, etc.)?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific about what your video editing plans are?  HD?  4K?  How big are your projects?  How big a screen do you need.  

The current dream machines for speed seem to be the Apple products with their "M1" CPU.  

Generally, my personal preference is with Windows"gamer" laptops.  The screen is bigger.  They typically come with 16GB of RAM, an i7 GPU and fast SSDs, the critical components for video editing.  I've had two over the past half dozen years and both have worked will for 4K projects up to about 30 minutes.   I've had an ASUS and now a Lenevo Legion.  Both were about $1200.   

Why gamers?  They seemed to be priced much lower than "graphics work stations" and Apple products with good performance. 

In the USA, I like to buy from Costco because they have a 90 day money back promise.  If it does not work well enough for video editing, I can take it back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meantime, what is your budget? And what are the specs of what you're editing with now?

While an iMac or Macbook Pro with an M1 chip may be the ultimate, it may be more than you need or want right now. Unless you were planning to spend upwards of $2000-3000. So while Bill's points are excellent, you should consider your needs and abilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it comes to video editing, all of the M1 laptops - even the MacBook Air - handle 4K video editing extremely well.

I'd opt for a 16GB model with as much internal storage as the budget allows for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to stay with Windows platform because I don't know Apple and don't want to have to learn it.  And my PE license is for Windows.

The raw video I'm currently editing is not in HD or 4K but I eventually will want to render in HD or 4K.  The screen will be 56".

But my projects will also typically be longer than 30 minutes.  Can you explain why the length of the project is a factor?  That's something I wasn't aware of.

So what I think I'm hearing is that on a Windows platform as long as I have a machine with at least 16GB of RAM, an i7 GPU or faster, and let's say at least 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD I should be in a safe range for my projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, my budget is up to $3500.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, Steve, just want to mention that I bought one of your PE editing books several years ago!  That's what got me going with PE editing.  It was an excellent volume!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, hubbabubba! I'm glad to hear that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, my budget is up to $3500.

By @hubbabubbatubba

I can't imagine any laptop costing that much would not be less than the best!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain why the length of the project is a factor?  That's something I wasn't aware of.

If output rendering is slow, it can be frustrating to wait for the chance to review what you've done.   For example, my Lenevo "gamer" laptop will export (output render) a relatively simple 4K project at about twice the time of the viewing.   So one of my 10 minute videos will take 20 minutes before I can review the final work.  If I were making 30 minute video, my wait would be an hour.  If I make the video with more than the most simple adjustments, titles, transitions, effects, etc, it takes longer.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to stay with Windows platform because I don't know Apple and don't want to have to learn it.  And my PE license is for Windows.

The raw video I'm currently editing is not in HD or 4K but I eventually will want to render in HD or 4K.  The screen will be 56".

But my projects will also typically be longer than 30 minutes.  Can you explain why the length of the project is a factor?  That's something I wasn't aware of.

So what I think I'm hearing is that on a Windows platform as long as I have a machine with at least 16GB of RAM, an i7 GPU or faster, and let's say at least 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD I should be in a safe range for my projects?

By @hubbabubbatubba

Yes.  I think any current laptop with an i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and an SSD will create a very good Premiere Elements computer.  However, not all i7 CPUs are the same.  There is a wide range.  Steve has used a "benchmark" system to check.  If I remember right I think Steve has suggested a goal of  about 10,000.   I think mine is 'only' 8,000 and I'm happy with it.   

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what do those numbers (8,000, 10,000) represent?

Also, I'm wondering whether PE Pro renders substantially faster than PE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what the numbers are.  Go to the linked website where it should be explained.  The number itself is not as important as the relative value against other CPUs.  

My experience with Premiere Pro compared to Premiere Elements is limited to relatively short videos.  Premiere Pro seems a little faster at output rendering.   My guess is that Pro might be up to 20% faster.  The big difference is that Premiere Pro comes with Media Encoder and multiple videos can be sent to it and processed in the background while you continue to work in Premiere Pro.   With Elements you have to wait until it is finished.   I also suspect that Premier Pro uses GPUs better than Elements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hubbabubbatubba wrote:

And what do those numbers (8,000, 10,000) represent?

Also, I'm wondering whether PE Pro renders substantially faster than PE?

The answer to that is "Maybe".  Premiere Pro supports Smart Rendering which allows for better quality and faster work.  If you take advantage of that, things will be faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the information.  This was very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for the information.  This was very helpful!

By @hubbabubbatubba

I would like to know what you end up getting, how you picked it and how well it works for what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines