• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 9 : no sound with .mts files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2010 Sep 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a bit of a problem getting my mts/avchd files to work with PE9. I imported the files using the organiser, and they play fine (video AND audio) from the organiser, but when I import the clips into PE9, only video is imported. There's no audio track and (logically?) no audio to be heard. How do I fix this?

Mind, these .mts files play fine in both the organiser AND windows 7. They're created on a Canon HF100 camcorder.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2010 Sep 29, 2010

The trial version of the PROGRAM itself is fully functional. However, some of the third-party components are not, unfortunately. These include some MPEG and AVCHD components.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are .mov files from my Panasonic Lumix camera, model #DMC-LX2.
I am able to edit these files in IMovie....
I think I can change the settings on my camera to 30fps, 640x480pixels, 30fps.  Do you think that setting will work in the future?
What software do you recommend I use to convert to pure PCM.  I have MPEG Streamclip, but I have not had the occasion to use it as of yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having problems  with  missing audio when editing .MTS files in Premier Elements 9; I have a newly installed paid for version (not trial) and have tried reinstalling and rebooting; still no luck. The files play fine in the organiser (and in other video player apps), but when dragged into a new project, the video image plays but no audio (It is not 5:1 audio). I'm, running windows 7 home premium.  The automatic setings were used when dragging the clips into the project. This is a big blow, as the product is useless to me if I can't use these files from my Panasonic HDC-SD100 camcorder.

What's that about Dolby?

(Some other formats process the audio OK, such as AVI from a JVC camcorder).

Any ideas what to do, thanks Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Same problem here. Windows 7 64 bits, trial version of PRE9 and no sound imported from mt2s files of Sony HDR-CX305 camcorde (1080i : 1440*1080, audio 48kHz codec A52). The files are read with sound by Windows Media Player (which I think show that there is no codec missing, and WMP displays a Dolby Digital logo), VLC and even by PRE9 organizer. I just bought this camcorder to make movies of my grand-daughter, so I can't imagine to buy this product if I'm not sure that this issue is fixed!

Hope Adobe will answer rapidly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2010 Nov 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, Adobe doesn't answer questions posted to this forum, Available. This is a user-to-user forum.

To contact Adobe, click the Contact button at the top of this forum.

Otherwise, please follow up on the suggestions posted throughout this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 14, 2010 Nov 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve. I'm working in computer programming for 30 years and you can imagine that I've tried everything before posting, including installation of the VideoRenderer patch. I don't want to have to transcode and downgrade my video files in order to process them with PRE9. PRE9 is supposed to accept AVCHD, Adobe makes a lot of adverts on it.  I'm not alone to encounter the problem, so it is real, Adobe has to do something: I'll try to contact them.

Thanks again.

Denis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Premiere Elements 9  is now allowing editing of the HD video from my Panason with audio ok. 

1 I went to the HDWRITER software distributed with the camcorder, which I had forgotten abaout since its a while since it was used: the downloads the files in M2ts format. I don't think this is really significant at all.

2 The real problem is that the test projects created were defaulting to mpeg2 , and have to be created with a AVCHD format. Even with this it took about 5 goes to get a format that played audio in editing. I guess that's beginners lack of knowledge, but its really not a good interface on new project, since when editing one gets messages indicating the format will be adjusted automatically.

So I am quite relieved that my wife has not wasted money on the product, as the previously downgraded footage was pretty inferior.

That leads on to another topic to take up elswhere, since the event in question was recorded in widescreen using 4 different cameras, only two of which are avchd. so all have tto be brought together in teh same project.

By the way, it is not a trial version of PE 9. The Mts amd m2ts files all played ok in the organiser and other players.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know if there is a "Getting Started" tour of PrE offered now, but there should be, and in big, bold print, there should be a first message, that explains the necessity of matching the Project Preset exactly to the source footage. Next, the tour should go into how to determine the attributes of the source footage to a Project Preset. If there is not such a "tour," I feel strongly that there should be.

I believe that PrE 9 has added a feature that helps one match source footage to a Project Preset. In PrPro CS5, one would just drag one of the source videos to the New Icon, at the bottom of the Project Panel, after Import. This then creates a new Sequence (think mini-Project within a "master Project"), with the exact specs. required.

Many new users are unaware of the above necessity, and then are confounded by a whole list of Presets, that often do not make a lot of sense - yet. Probably a good 20% of all program problems trace back to a mis-match between the Project Preset and the source footage.

As for mixed format/CODEC footage, the best way to handle that is to either convert secondary set of footage to match the primary footage, for which the Project Preset has been established, or to do separate Projects, each matching their source footage 100%, and then doing an Export/Share to a format/CODEC, that matches the primary footage. Then, one can easily combine all of the footage into a single, new Project, or Import the Exported footage into the Project with the primary footage for final editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read all advices given on this forum and in other forums.

I serious think this is a bug, I have a registered product, first I installed it in English, than uninstalled it and installed it again in Dutch, but the problem still exist.

After I give the serial I see when I click on a file with the extension *.TOD (JVC), that it's activating the licence. But with the files with the extension *.mts unfortunately no sound at all.

If settings made by PE9 do not match orginal files than I get an message, so I don't think that's the issue.

With the explorer clicking on the same file, normal sound on MTS file.

And something else with PE8 I didn't have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re

"If settings made by PE9 do not match orginal files than I get an message, so I don't think that's the issue."

I think this message can be misleading; it will occur even if the project format is incorrect.

I don't have PRE on this m/c, so can't give the exact buttons on scren. When you create a new project, unless you manually set the project format on entry PRE make an assumption, probably incorrectly in your case, and you can't subsequently change it so far as I know. In particular, I found it necessary to do so for AVCHD. So you have to set the format before proceeding with creating the project. (You may need to try a few different options.). 

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johnny_Begood wrote:

If settings made by PE9 do not match orginal files than I get an message

That is most likely the message that says your project preset does not match the footage. Click OK to let it change the preset for you.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your  children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything and I still have no audio in PE9

I found a solution. Get rid of PE9 and get Cyberlink Power Director. Haven't had any issues with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your suggestions.I spent time to try your suggestions and tried many project settings even NTSC , which is not used for my  country whre PAL is the standard. Since I load the files normally from my HDD, I tried also the project settings "load from Harddrive flash disc etc". But no sound from my *.MTS files. Than I tried something I normal never use, load from (JVC) camera directly, it recognizes my cam and it tells me, the files you loading not match the projects, to change to the recommended settings press yes,  what I did of course. But still no sound.

This in mind and that I tried the Dutch and English version, gives me more and more the feeling of a program bug.

But I'm fully open to try other suggestions, except buying another program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the file extension from mts to m2ts and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip, but no sound with m2ts either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm this sound problem with .mts files in Premiere Elements 9.

I am running Win 7 64-bit and trying to edit mts-files from my Canon HF200.

The sound was working both in organizer and in Premiere THE FIRST TIME ONLY after installation. Not so fun to have to uninstall and install every time I wanted to run PE.

After a complete reinstallation of Win 7 I have no sound at all in organizer but now sound seem to work okay in Premiere, even after closing down and restarting the problem.

Seems like a bug which Adobe should investigate further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also Win 7-64 and than Ultimate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2010 Nov 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone above for sharing their experiences on this topic...

Even if there's still some debate over whether there is a solution, if nothing else it confirms to a google-searcher like me that I'm not he only one with

the problem.  Two years after buying a Panasonic SD-9 (PAL) I still don't have a satisfactory consumer-priced editing capability.  The Panasonic HD writer is way too basic (but keeps the video in good shape).  Premiere Elements 8 sometimes works for me, does produce good HD files, but often crashes and takes forever to render a project.

I was delighted to hear Elements 9 maybe fixed the instability, but as the trial has problems with sound (and maybe the full version too) it won't be on my shopping list yet.  Video Studio and Pinnacle couldn't hack it at last year's versions (maybe I should try again), Power Producer is a super-quick nicely presented program, makes fantastic slideshows a snap, but completely ruins my AVCHD files (pixellated and stuttering after edit)...the new v9 is better than 8 but still no good for my flavour of m2ts.  I'm almost tempted to go back to DV!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today's Giveaway of the Day is 'Wondershare Video Studio Express 1.2.0'

Their Description

Wondershare Video Studio Express 1.2.0 is designed for Windows users to edit SD & HD video clips to make Hollywood-like movies with background music and transition effects. Even beginners can easily edit creative videos to upload directly to YouTube website, or export to iPhone, iPad and iPod for share with the help of this video editing software.

Wondershare Video Studio Express 1.2.0

It looks basic but claims to do HiDef editing. Note that Giveaways are only free for twenty four hours. So if you click the above link on any day other than 25th Nov 2010 you will find a different product.

Another free one (permanently - often on magazine cover DVD's) is Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 SE. This also claims HiDef video (but will only output 640x480 WMV files) so, if you give it a go, think of it as a trial version of its big brother.

Their description

The secret to making great home movies isn't in the amount of cash you spend on the video camera, the extra lenses you might buy, or even the in-depth knowledge of film you've gained from watching all those Uwe Boll movies. The real key to producing top-quality, professional results is to use the best possible editor, and that's why you need MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 15 Silver.

At its simplest you could just use the program to join a few film clips together. Find them on your hard drive, drag and drop the clips onto your hard drive, then export them as a Windows Media Video (WMV) file. It only takes a moment.

Of course the real fun starts when you begin to explore the more advanced options, and there are some surprisingly powerful features available. Click the Movement tab, then choose the Rotation function, for instance, and you'll be able to tweak the current clip's size and position, as well as rotate it to whatever angle you choose. There's a 3D morph option to spin and mirror the picture, while a Level Horizon feature compensates for those times when the camera wasn't quite as straight as it should have been.

And if your original camera work seems too static, then it's easy to compensate with a range of useful video effects. You can zoom in or out, pan left or right, or choose more complex effects simply by double-clicking on the option of your choice from the Effects Gallery. Play around to see what's on offer, then add professional fades, your own titles, and when you're ready, export the results and share them with others.

The Silver version has some limitations such as automatic scene detection, MPEG import trim edits and other functions are disabled in this version. Completed videos may only be exported as WMV files with a maximum resolution of 640 x 480.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neale;

I check GAOTD every day and have had some useful conversion tools, but this editor is too basic.  Did however try Magix, which gets some glowing reviews, but once again the AVCHD output files were a little degraded.  Then came across Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum v10 (hadn't realised they did a non-Pro suite) and tried that.  No issues with licences for AVCHD or audio for a 30-day trial, and absolutely perfect output (like Elements when it works), and seems smooth and easy to use!  At Amazon's price this is going to be my choice for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/870/cpsid_87080.html

Try to see if this does, else I can confirm, like many others, that serialized version of Premiere ELements 9 does NOT have these issues..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ VDO surfer

It's for the black screen problem in the tryout version.... did you understand the issue we're talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Pinnacle for years and bought a Handycam about a year ago. Old computer kept crashing so I bought a new one of those too (i7, 9GB, etc). I've been a little frustrated with Pinnacle and so I thought I'd try Adobe Premiere. Afterall, I love Adobe Photoshop. After a weeks use of the trial version and countless hours reading these posts, I believe that I love editing video - I just hate editing video software. And AVCHD (m2ts, mts) just exacerbates the issues. Until the time comes when I don't have to spend more time in google or software forums than in the actual video softeware doing the fun stuff, I think I've given up and decided to work with SD video. I've actuall converted all of my m2ts video to mpg so I'm able to work within the boundaries of the programs. Still haven't decided whether to buy Premiere (maybe try PrePro CS5 or even the Collection), upgrade Pinnacle, or something else. I'm open to any suggestions. I don't mind spending money - It's worth my time if I find something that works!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone. This problem seems to be everywhere on the forums. I too have AVCHD files (.mts) and i'm having the same issue with my setup. It seems its just adobes issue with importing the AVCHD files, because I have no issues importing .mpg4 files or others, Audio is perfect on the timeline, audio track and all. But when it comes to .mt2 .m2ts (avchd files etc.) the audio track doesn't import. Can there be something done about them claiming they can support AVCHD? A patch fixing audio track issues on AVCHD files? Or a solution that we can all get posted to? Or at least mention somewhere that they DO support the AVCHD files but not the audio that comes with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is getting frustrating. I soon have to choose if I should return my copy of PE9 to the seller, they have agreed to take it back since it obviously not support .mts files though it states it does. The seller him self didnt get it to work either.

Getting PE9 to work was one of the main reason to reinstall Windows, since it according to Adobe support probably was a problem with interfering software. But it does not even work on a complete clean Windows setup with only the latest drivers installed. I am out of ideas.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD is not bad at all, a glad surprise actually. I am trying it out for the moment, the only real downside for me is that it does not come in my language (swedish).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio did work for me after some initial frustration with .mts and .m2ts. I found that I could not rely on the automatic assignment of project properties at all for these files. Also had to try creating several tiny test projects with different avchd settings until I got one that worked; then it was fine. For example, it made a difference whether 5:1 audo was set or not; if not there was no sound at all.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines