Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview panel in Premiere Elements 10 stopped working

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The preview panel on Adobe Premiere Elements 10 has stopped working.

It was working fine until a couiple of weeks ago. I'd created a film and rendered it OK but after watching decided to do a little more editing.

When I opened up the project the preview panel was just grey/blank. I move the cursor over a piece of film and just got like a snap shot.

I can hear the soundtrack but no picture.

I have tried a few suggestions from various sources as follows.

I've updated the video/display drivers (directly from the manufacturers website)

I've updated Windows for all the latest updates.

I've updated all the video players and codecs I could find on my PC.

I've updated Java.

I've done a cleanup and defrag but there is about 650 gb of freespace.

I've deleted the Bad Drivers file on a few occasions, this did give me a stuttering playback in the preview panel briefly but that has stopped again.

If I open a different window over the top of Premiere, part of that image stays in the preview panel when I close or minimise that window.

The video files I have been using have been mostly AVCHD files but these have worked fine for the last 18 months when I first installed this program.

I've tried converting files to AVI, MPEG, MPEG2, WMV etc but still nothing in the preview panel.

Totally stuck now, I've been trying to find a solution now for over a week and need to do some more editing.

I liked this program as an editor up until now but it maybe time to look for an alternative if I can't get a solution.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any other suggestions

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Rolbiecki

So far I am not seeing the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card driver issues spreading out to other versions. But, yours may be the first of many?

Let us know how or if the matter resolves with NVIDIA. I just do not want to see any recommendations creating offshoot issues and additional problems with this new computer.

Thanks for the follow up. We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Couple of thoughts here.

One is that when installing new drivers, uninstalling the old ones completley is not a required step anymore. The "new" driver will overwrite the old one. This is an antiquated practice and not necessary anymore.

See if you can restore the video driver from a backup disk (or windows boot disc) that should be stock with your machine. If successful, then you can try the steps of post number 8 on this thread.

The most important step here is making sure your video card is working correctly first. If the restore doesnt load the drivers dont panic, there are many more steps we can take.

GL and keep us in the loop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My graphics cards is an Nviidia Geforce GT430

Mcasman - The driver rollback for mine went back to March 2013. I wasn't aware of any updates until I did one manually.

Johnnymaxx - Great news

By the look of things on this post, Nvidia graphics cards seem to cause a few problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Problem.

(Asus G750J Notebook

Nvidia GTX770M

Windows 8

Premiere Elements 10)

Meanwhile i have tried every recommended tips from this Forum. Update Windows, downdate the Graphicdrivers (am maximum to 326.19, because 320.49 does not support my GTX770M), reinstalled PE 10, Quicktime, components of the GTX-Driver and i tried to clean the Registry between every Step, but nothing have had any Effect 😞 The rest of the Program works, but without the Projectmonitor i don´t have a chance to see what i´m working.

Some Weeks before i started a Project and PE 10 worked normally.

Please helf me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ivi f

If you have rolled back the driver as far as you can, I think it is time to contact NVIDIA about your NVIDIA GTX770M video card. Roll back of the driver has been the answer for nearly all. With the exceptions, those users have contacted NVIDIA, and NVIDIA has gotten back to them with specific instructions on what driver version to use to gain success in the matter.

Have you contacted NVIDIA yet?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

No i have not contacted NVIDIA yet, but i will do so, because i

absolutely don´t know anymore what to do.

So thanks again.

Greetings from Hamburg/Germany

ivi

Am 26.10.2013 03:25, schrieb A.T. Romano:

>

Re: Preview panel in Premiere Elements 10 stopped working

created by A.T. Romano <http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> in

/Premiere Elements/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5789659#5789659

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ivi

Please let us know the result of your contact with NVIDIA about this matter.

The two others that I know of in a similar situation had good results, and their problems were solved.

So, I am hoping to learn that NVIDIA is able to sort out the details with its video card and its driver for you also.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Users:

I have figured it ALLLLLLLLLLL out now!!  How silly of me.

ADOBE has discontinued support of new video drivers after NVIDIA 320.49.

The simple solution to this issue is to upgrade to Adobe Elements 11 or Adobe Elements 12 and then you can keep your video card drivers up-to-date.     

I will upgrade, to probably Adobe Elements 12.

!!!NOT!!!!

ADOBE, pretty-please (with sugar on top) re-instate the support of newer NVIDIA drivers (past 320.49) because some of us like to keep our video card drivers UP-TO-DATE

without having to buy a/the newer version(s) of Adobe Premiere Elements and like the version (10) we are using.

Your Pal,

fevertree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fevertree,

Unfortunately, you are not talking to Adobe here - but only to users, such as yourself. You can contact Adobe, but since PrE 10 is now two complete generations ago, I rather doubt that they will reopen development of that program.

Now, from several threads, it does appear that nVidia is aware of the issues with their latest driver and PrE 10. At this point, it seems that only PrE 10 is involved, but maybe all reports have not come in yet?

Whether nVidia will address these issues remains to be seen. If it is ONLY PrE 10, that is affected, then it might be unlikely, but if there are other programs, affected, then there is more of an impetus to seek the fix. Only time will tell.

Going back some years, two nVidia drivers, in a row, affected many Adobe programs. The fix was easy, once it was tracked down, and by the third driver release, nVidia had sorted things out - it was two 3D modules (one for 3D goggles), that caused the problem. The fix was to just disable those two modules. With that third release, the default installation was changed, so that those modules would be OFF, at installation, where they had been set to ON, for the two "bad" driver versions.

nVida works closely with Adobe, but IF the problem is unique to just PrE 10, they might not wish to expend effort to make a fix. Only time will tell, but as nVidia historically releases new drivers about every 4 - 6 weeks, if they do have a fix, it should be coming soon.

In the meantime, rolling the nVidia driver back has fixed things for many users. I do worry that users with PrE 10 and Win8 might get left out of that solution, as I do not know the history of nVidia drivers for Win8 - maybe nVidia has older drivers for that OS, that will work, but maybe not.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fevertree

We are glad to learn what works for you.

But, I am reading the issue specific to Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card....

NOT that Adobe has discontinued support of newer NVIDIA video card drivers

but rather

Latest NVIDIA video card drivers are not supporting Premiere Elements 10.

And it is questionable what NVIDIA needs to do with its latest driver to avoid compatibility problems with Premiere Elements 10.

Did you contact NVIDIA about your specific situation? It might be able to give you some insights on the core of the issue and a fix specific for your computer environment.

Have you tried out your solution idea via the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12?

ATR

This is a user to user forum and I am not affiliated with Adobe, just a Elements user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.T. Romano

I have the same exact problems with my PrE10

I do have to GTX 660, i have tried to roll back my driver and even update again and that hasn't solved the problem.

Will I not be able to run PrE10 until they fix this problem or would you suggest I upgrade to PrE12?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "fix" should come from nVidia, as they know of the issues with their latest video driver, and Adobe PrE 10. I would imagine that they are working on the problem.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LuNaR Tadpole

If you have not already, please review the findings of johnnymaxx in the following thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5836037#5836037

That user had Premiere Elements 10 and the NVIDIA video card (GTX 660 ti) driver version 320.40 worked while the 327.23 and 331.40 did not. There was another user with Premiere Elements 10 and 660 - resolution there too was the roll back of the driver version, but we never did get further details on that.

If you check out all that and the situation remains the same, then I would contact NVIDIA. It has helped some of the users with this type of syndrome.

Switching from Premiere Elements 10 to 12 is a possibility, but I would suggest that you go the free 30 day tryout route from Adobe before any purchase.

Please let us know of your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting all of this. But, what if I have a different video card? I have an HP 530 laptop with a Mobile Intel (R)945 Express Chipset Family display card. I'm not at all a tech type person. If you could give me the steps to correct this problem, I could follow them. My monitor screen in Premiere Elements 10 is doing exactly what everyone else's was. Helllllppppppp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upholsteryteacher

That was good news that you have Premiere Elements 10 and Intel video card and not NVIDIA. To date, a certain display issue has been specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose computer uses a NVIDIA video card.

I think it best if you started your own thread on your display issue since your details can take us in an assortment of directions depending on the details.

We need to determine that your Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family display card driver is up to date.

That information might be obtained from the following Intel web site

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Lapto...

or

This information might be obtained from the HP web site.

2. If you determine that your video card driver is up to date, then you can try deleting the Premiere Elements 10 BadDrivers.txt file. Once you have deleted it and opened a new project, the BadDrivers.txt file will be replaced with a new one. For that we would need to know what computer operating system your computer is running on so that we can give you the correct path to the BadDrivers.txt file.

It is important that at the onset you do a mini test run export to determine if what you are seeing as display problem in Edit is reflected in your export.

We will be watching for further developments. Details are important. If you have problems finding the details, we will help you with that.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATR-Thanks for responding. The driver is up to date, and the monitor problem does not show up on exported video files.

As far as the BadDrivers.txt files, can you lead me to them? My HP 530 Notebook has Windows 7. It came with Vista, we changed it out to XP, then to Windows 7 with a complete clean up for video editing performance.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upholsteryteacher

If you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit, you should find the BadDrivers.txt file in the path

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Once you close out of there and open a new Premiere Elements 10 project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file.

So that you can see the complete path above, please have selected Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.

Type in Folder Options in Search above the Start Button. Click on Folder Options at the top of that left column. In the Folder Options dialog, click on the View Tab. Then place a dot next to the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives option.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If your Windows is 7 32 bit, the path to the BadDrivers.txt file will be different than above. I will post that path if you tell me that you have Windows 7 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for 32 bit?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upholsteryteacher

I have Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 7, 8, 8.1 64 bit, but I do not have a Windows 7 32 bit.

So, I am not sure of the paths in Windows 7 32 bit, whether it favors the 64 bit path of Windows 7 or the 32 bit path of other.

The path to the BadDrivers.txt file in Windows XP SP3 32 bit is:

Local Disk C

Documents and Settings

All Users

Application Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. After that, same comments as in post numbered 41.

Please let us know if either of the two paths applies.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question-- I have a new Macbook Pro that has Premiere Elements 10 loaded on it. I thought that would solve my problems, but I'm also having weird things happen when I drag clips to the timeline. They show up in multiples of the same clip.this brand new laptop has an NVDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics display. Is that the problem? If so, I think I'll dump Premiere. This has been a real problem. Let me know please.

Shelly Leer

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shelly Leer,

There HAVE been issues with both PrE 10, and the latest nVidia drivers. I do not know if those issues are limited by the platform?

This thread goes into more detail on those issues: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675?tstart=0

It could be that a simple roll-back, to an earlier nVidia driver will clear things up for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upholsteryteacher

I know that you are fully aware of the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card issue. You entered this thread written by another who was going through all that. And, we were very pleased to learn that your Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 32 bit came with a Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family rather than NVIDIA.

Essentally all the reports on the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA issue have come from users with Windows operating systems. I am not remembering any using Premiere Elements 10 Mac NVIDIA. So, I am not sure if this Premiere Elements NVIDIA issue is involved in your Mac computer environment. And, I am not sure what is involved in rolling back the NVIDIA card drive on a Mac. But, the syndrome that is being presented by the program invites that type of look see. It does not look that easy rolling back drivers on Mac

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=111945

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1474696

But I do not have a Mac.

In any way are you running into the Premiere Elements Mac issue of Timeline zooming?

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/expert-view-timeline-zoom-in.html

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tech guy (husband) is coming home tonight. He'll work i

On the Bad Driver thing on Pre 10. As another note, premiere 10 does not function properly on my brand new Macbook Pro. It's specifically the small preview window and moving things around on the Timeline. I'm prepared to purchase the newest version of Premiere if I can know there are no bugs like this. It seems to me that Premiere 10 just has too many issues to deal with.

Do you have any knowledge as to whether 11 or 12 is better than 10?

Thanks.

Shelly Leer

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shelly Leer

Definitely do not purchase Premiere Elements 11 or 12 Mac unless you go the free tryout route before purchase. Since version 12 is the latest version, you can get the free tryout from it via it download link at http://www.adobe.com

Your troubleshooting and its results will be valuable when you and your husband team up to look at the present situation and decide what is fixable and what next.

There is a marked change in interface in versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 11. Principles remain the same, but features get moved around or replaced or discontinued. And, typically the Mac version is built with lacking certain features that are found in the Windows version.

Any products that you see from the Mac App store are not the same as Premiere Elements Mac from Adobe.

More later.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently saw a forum post you provided about setting up a file management

system for Premiere Elements. I am in desperate need to go back and get

that done. Do you have any Help links for starting from the beginning on

managing media in Pre Elements (10)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines