Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview panel in Premiere Elements 10 stopped working

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The preview panel on Adobe Premiere Elements 10 has stopped working.

It was working fine until a couiple of weeks ago. I'd created a film and rendered it OK but after watching decided to do a little more editing.

When I opened up the project the preview panel was just grey/blank. I move the cursor over a piece of film and just got like a snap shot.

I can hear the soundtrack but no picture.

I have tried a few suggestions from various sources as follows.

I've updated the video/display drivers (directly from the manufacturers website)

I've updated Windows for all the latest updates.

I've updated all the video players and codecs I could find on my PC.

I've updated Java.

I've done a cleanup and defrag but there is about 650 gb of freespace.

I've deleted the Bad Drivers file on a few occasions, this did give me a stuttering playback in the preview panel briefly but that has stopped again.

If I open a different window over the top of Premiere, part of that image stays in the preview panel when I close or minimise that window.

The video files I have been using have been mostly AVCHD files but these have worked fine for the last 18 months when I first installed this program.

I've tried converting files to AVI, MPEG, MPEG2, WMV etc but still nothing in the preview panel.

Totally stuck now, I've been trying to find a solution now for over a week and need to do some more editing.

I liked this program as an editor up until now but it maybe time to look for an alternative if I can't get a solution.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any other suggestions

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shelly,

There are various ways to set up a Project, with some trade-offs in each. This Tips & Tricks article outlines my normal method, and also mentions its trade-offs: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4028231#4028231

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shelly Leer

You wrote

Do you have any Help links for starting from the beginning on managing media in Pre Elements (10).

If you are referring to managing the media from the point of the Premiere Elements 10 project workspace, that is in the blog post

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

But, even there, it is to be remembered that everything within the project (Project Media area/subclips) or Timeline trims will trace back to the original (whole clip) saved to the computer hard drive. It is only the export of a Timeline trim that will have its own file on the computer hard drive and have its own identify.

For me the major start point is an external hard drive with about 1 TB capacity where I create my folder structure. My scheme is the major folder being the year and then subfolders with categories for that year.

You may want to focus on the organization opportunities of the Elements Organizer which will include thumbnails of your source that trace back to the originals on the hard drive (in my case that 1 TB external hard drive).

Some links on that include

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/premiere-elements-10/experience-the-ultimate-media-management-hub/

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/getting-started/create-albums-album-categories.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSeffff8bffc802084-7b5de6931308d7ff99c-7feb.html

Please let me know if I am targeting the information that you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm Shelly's quasi tech hubby, Ed. Here's what I have done.

- Reinstalled the latest 945 video driver

- Deleted the BadDrivers.txt file

Every time I bring up Premier and hit Open Project, a new BadDrivers.txt is

created. I have tried to delete this file while I'm in Premier then open a

video project. The BadDrivers.txt is not created, but the problem Shelly

is having still happens.

Not sure what the older video driver version is to roll back since the

latest version is dated 10/2/2009. I'll research but if you already know,

shoot it to me.

Any ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed and Shelly,

When you delete the BadDrivers.txt file, a new BadDrivers.txt file is generated when Premiere Elements is opened again. That is normal. The hope is that the display issue will be gone. Typically, if you are not a Premiere Elements 10 user whose computer uses a NVIDIA video card, that is all you can do after you have

a. assured that you have the latest video card driver version installed

and

b. deleted the BadDrivers.txt file that existed.

In the case of the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA card situation, the only fix has been to roll back the video card driver version to a version where the problem does not exist. Your wife does not fit into that group because she said that her Premiere Elements 10 is on a computer that uses an Intel video card. That does not preclude problems with the Intel card.

But, let me back up so that I have not misdirected myself. Is the computer that you are troubleshooting today using the Intel or NVIDIA video card? If NVIDIA, then you could look through the posts in the following thread to see if you can find a situation that mirrors your. My recollection that the roll back to date have involved Premiere Elements Windows users with NVIDIA video cards that work again after roll back to about January 2013 dates.

Have you tried to uninstall/reinstall the video card driver? If she is working on a Mac, my input is not going to help in this regard, since I am a Elements Windows user. Please review the whole thread for my comments in that regard.

What you might consider is uninstall, a ccleaner run through (regular cleaner & registry cleaner parts), reinstall of the program.

The ccleaner Mac counterpart would be

http://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

Make sure the program is Run As Administrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges or whatever the permissions counterpart is in Mac. You might also want to uninstall reinstall QuickTime depending on the situation.

Hope all that helps.

At the present time, what are the major symptoms of the Premiere Elements problems...is Premiere Elements being troubleshooted on Windows or Mac, etc?

Please do not hesitate to ask question and ask for clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The path to the BadDrivers file in Windows 7 32bit is the same as A.T. Romano said.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

It seems to be the same whatever the version of Windows.

Good Luck

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FHS

Thanks for that major help in confirming the path to the BadDrivers.txt file in Windows 7 32 bit.

Much appreciated.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add to this, that the drivers for AMD Catylist and newer cards cause no issues with this program. However, every Nvidia driver past the 320.49 or also known as the R331 Diver series - Similar to this link Drivers | GeForce Will NOT WORK

The only ones that will work for Nvidia Geforce GT 610 is the 320.49

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Protomario

Thank you for your input on the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two PC's

The primary is an AMD Build with an 8350 and an R9 270 - Catylist Drivers Operating System - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

The secondary is an Intel build with a Core i5 650 and an Nvidia PNY Geforce GTX 610 - Windows XP Pro 32 bit

The AMD build works just fine with updated drivers

The Intel build needs previous drivers to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Protomario

Thanks for the details. That is great information to have on this Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue.

Best wishes.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just set up a new computer (Windows 8.1.Update) and opened Premiere 10 for the first time. As others have said, the edit monitor screen is either gray, or shows a single frame. Audio plays all right.

I'm not very knowledgeable about computer insides, so I haven't made any changes yet. My case is unlike those who successfully used Premiere before, then had it suddenly go wrong, due to an NVIDIA video card update. This is the first time I've tried to use in on the new computer (I did use it successfully on my recently-retired Windows 7). I don't know what might happen, if I tried to roll back the video card driver to a date before its probably manufacture. That doesn't sound good...

My card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745.

suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fredericarng

This is a known issue with Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. The solution is to roll back the driver version of the card to May 2013. You can go to the following NVIDIA web site, plug in your computer/card information and look through the list of older drivers for the one you need. This has been a life saver for user whose computer use Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. But, there does not appear to be available older enough drivers for those who have their Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit.

This specific problem has not reported in versions 11, 12, or 13.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.html

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Please review and consider. If any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure I understand--are you saying that a rollback works for people using Win 7, but for those using Win 8 there doesn't seem to be a driver old enough?

Then, I could either replace the video card with a non-Invidia card, or buy Premiere 11,12,or 13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fredericamg

Yes to

are you saying that a rollback works for people using Win 7, but for those using Win 8 there doesn't seem to be a driver old enough?

Then, I could either replace the video card with a non-nvidia card, or buy Premiere 11,12,or 13.

This has been the case to date. You could look through the list of older drivers available for your card on Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit, and try the oldest one you can find.

But, history on this in not in your favor for getting an old enough driver to work for you. Have you tried that yet?

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went ahead and purchased Premiere Elements 13; that seemed the cheapest solution. I did not try rolling back the driver to one that was released before the video card was manufactured; that seemed risky to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

fredericamg

Thanks for the reply.

As your schedule permits, please update us on the compatibility of your Premiere Elements 13 with your computer environment and project goals.

Typically best to look at the tryout first, but... If you purchase from Adobe and are within 30 days of purchase, you can request return/refund. (I have a link

for you to use in case that becomes necessary.) If you purchase from a retailer, then you need to deal with that seller's return/refund policy.

But, it is expected you will do well with your Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.  Please let us know if you have questions about the workflows and need clarification on them.

Best wishes

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines