• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD-images get destroyed when used in Premiere Elements v. 15

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When adding photos which have been edited in Photoshop Elements (PSD-files) into Premiere Elements, some (not all) photos get destroyed (the RGB colours seem not to align). The faulty images are equally bad after exporting to an mp4 file (i.e. the mp4 file show the same as when previewing inside Premiere). Exporting images from Photoshop Elements into TIFF format and then using them in Premiere gives the same result. I've not encountered this problem when using images which were edited in Lightroom.

I'm using Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 GPU. I have updated drivers to highest available version without improvements. I tried to unmark the "Use hardware acceleration..." in Premiere's settings (in General tab), but no improvements (I'm not quite sure what that option does).

It all worked fine on my old computer, using the same software versions (Photoshop Elements v. 15.0, Premiere Elements v. 15.0, Lightroom v. 6.0) . Noving to a new computer was not successful . I really would appreciate some help…

Skärmklipp.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Further my last post, Bill has confirmed that indeed his photo used 16-bit color (It was produced by Photoshop Pro CC).

Once I opened the PSD file in Photoshop Elements (which is only capable of 8-bit per channel color) and saved the file, the vertical lines disappeared and the PSD file worked perfectly in Premiere Elements.

zjocke, can you confirm that the PSD files were produced by Photoshop Elements (not Pro)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD (Photoshop Document) files are intended for editing images in layers.  Premiere Elements can't use layers.  My suggestion is to export or save a flattened image from Photoshop/Photoshop Elements for use in video editing.   My preference is JPEGs.  

Is there a reason you need the PSD format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Premiere Elements can certainly use a PSD files, layered or not. So I don't think that's where the problem is.

Though it might be interesting to try using a JPG rather than a PSD, just as as experiment, to see what happens.

Meantime, you are keeping the size of your PSDs, JPGs, etc., under 2500x1850 pixels, right? Excessively large photo files can cause some issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I think the OP is right.  It's not working well.  Curiosity pushed me to try it. 

A PSD straight from Photoshop: 

A full sized JPEG from Photoshop: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That's disturbing!

I'll do some experimenting myself. It could well be that Adobe tweaked something they shouldn't have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

From the internet:  "Photoshop files have default file extension as .PSD, which stands for "Photoshop Document." A PSD file stores an image with support for most imaging options available in Photoshop. These include layers with masks, transparency, text, alpha channels and spot colors, clipping paths, and duotone settings. This is in contrast to many other file formats (e.g., .JPG or .GIF) that restrict content to provide streamlined, predictable functionality. "

If you don't need all the layers, masks, clipping paths, duotone settings, etc., why bother.  Use streamlined JPEGs!

It was interesting to watch Premiere Elements bring in the PSD.  It took about three or four times longer than the full sized JPEG. 

My feeling is that PSDs are not the best way to make a slideshow or composite video in PrE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I didn't put much attention to which file format to use... Since Photoshop Elements uses PSD by default and those images could readily be transferred to and accepted by Premiere Elements, I assumed they should work.

As a matter of fact, they do work on my old computer. I copied my images, Photoshop catalogues, Premiere projects etc to a new computer and there I got the problem. It seems that the non-working images all are 16-bit (8-bit works) – file size might affect as Steve suggests. But 16-bit PDS work on the old computer…

Obviously, there is some difference between my computers/installations, although I cannot spot which is important. They run the same OS (Windows 10 home 64-bit) and same versions on Photoshop and Premiere. Hardware is different of course. Can GPU cause the problems? Is it possible to test without actually replacing the GPU?

For new PrE projects I can use jpegs (or 8-bit PSD), but if I want to edit an existing project the first task would be to convert and change all non-working images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experimenting and I can't duplicate this issue, guys. I'm using 2500x1875 photos and, regardless of whether I use JPEGs or PSDs, regardless of whether the file is layered or flat, I get the same excellent quality.

Bill, can you send me a PSD file that's causing this (like the camper picture you posted, above)? I'll private message you my e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update you, Bill and I are continuing to study this and share photos.

zjocke, can you confirm that the PSD files that are giving you issues in Premiere Elements were created in Photoshop Elements and not Photoshop Pro?

Photoshop Pro can save photos with 16-bit color, which will appear with funny vertical lines when used in a Premiere Elements project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further my last post, Bill has confirmed that indeed his photo used 16-bit color (It was produced by Photoshop Pro CC).

Once I opened the PSD file in Photoshop Elements (which is only capable of 8-bit per channel color) and saved the file, the vertical lines disappeared and the PSD file worked perfectly in Premiere Elements.

zjocke, can you confirm that the PSD files were produced by Photoshop Elements (not Pro)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Yes, true, the image was edited in Photoshop Elements only, and thus the PSD file was saved from Elements. However, it uses 16-bit color. When converting to 8-bit per channel it works, as I said previously. But why does 16-bit work on my old computer using the same software?

To be sure, I took an other raw file and saved it as 16-bit PSD-file using Photoshop Elements on my old computer. Might not be officially supported, but it worked perfect in Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSDneeds to be rgb and 8 bits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I have enough trouble explaining why things that should work don't.

I can't begin to explain why things that aren't supposed to work do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate your input and time! At least I learnt that 16-bit shouldn't work - I was not aware of that limitation .

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines