• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DISCUSS: Enhancements for detailed mask creation

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere Pro Beta version 23.1 build 40 or later, new enhancements for mask creation make it faster and easier to create detailed masks.

In previous versions of Premiere Pro, it could be challenging to create detailed masks. The rotation tool could interfere with adding additional points that were close to existing points.

Now, when creating a mask, the rotation tool is not active until the mask shape is closed. This eliminates situations where masks could be rotated unexpectedly. 

Tolerances have also been modified so that it is now much easier to create a series of points that are close to one another.

Additional magnification (zoom) levels of 800 and 1600 percent are also now available in the Program Monitor.  There is a separate forum post for that change -DISCUSS: Larger Magnification Factors in the Program and Source Monitors

OLD BEHAVIOR
NEW BEHAVIOR

RobotBefore.gif

RobotAfter.gif

Please try out the new behaviors by creating detailed masks in your own project.

1. Use the pen tool to create masks for opacity or effects work in Premiere Pro.
  2. Create detailed masks with many points.
  3. Try the new magnification levels in the Program Monitor

Note: It is now possible to create points that are much closer together compared to previous versions.

Questions:

Do you find it easier to create detailed masks compared to previous versions? Please create some detailed masks and let us know what you think of the new enhancements.

We want to know what you think.  Please join the conversation below.

TOPICS
Feature request , Feedback , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally

great job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oranje-vinger.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When closing the mask with a very slight movement, the keyframe turns into a bezier.

The example above shows the behavior.

How to prevent this? (yeah, dont move 😉 )

AnnBens_0-1665842784624.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColinGSmith_0-1665855327533.png

Yes, turning off scale and rotate and having the tolerance lower is MUCH better but...there are still many bugs that exist going back to when this was launched. See above: How am I supposed to accurately grab a point with the hand tool? And, grabbing a point will add a point about 50% of the time instead of moving it. Don't get me wrong, I love the update but there's still much to do. And yes, I've mentioned this stuff for a long time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Build 40 has not been released yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Hopefully picking off some of this low hanging fruit will make a significant difference to a large number of users.

I have been expecting additional requests for continued improvements in these conversations.  We hear you, we appreciate the feedback.  This is all great info that we can use to inform future work. Keep it comin'!

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Colin G Smith I totally agree, masking needs a lot of love.  This was the most egregious issue so we decided to fix this one first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As cool as this improvement is, I would like to see the mask themselves get a revamp or least setting for point size like AE has in the preferences. I feel that zooming in and out is a band-aid for now. It would be nice for mask points to have more detail to them so that when a user selects them, it doesn't mistakenly grab the wrong point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JAkalaonu masking in After Effects is way better than Premiere Pro, admitted, and I'd love to make PPro masking work exactly like AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a wonderful change and already has improved my work flow! Thanks so much for finally get around to it. Game changer!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glad to hear it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I mean, cool, but I've never had to rotate a mask even after it was closed. Today I'm having to go frame by frame to adjust a mask because the subject I'm masking is moving too much for mask tracking. Why not make the Rotate tool conditional with another button being pressed, like CTRL (PC) or CMD (Mac)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources