• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DISCUSS: HDR Proxies in Premiere Pro

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are rolling out Color managed proxies for HDR clips. With this, proxies will now be created in the color space of the original media (for Rec. 709, Rec. 2100 HLG & PQ). For Log clips, Premiere will create Rec. 709 proxies without any color conversion. This way, users will get the same color correction and LUTs effect on the media as on the proxy.

Proxies can be created in Premiere Pro in 2 ways.

1. By right clicking on media in Project Panel and choosing Proxy > Create Proxy
  2. During Ingest. File > Project Setting > Ingest settings

In the recent versions of Premiere pro when users would import HDR footage (Rec. 2100 HLG/ PQ or Log clips) and create proxies they would see color difference between the original media and proxies. This was because proxies did not respect the color space of the media and were not color managed themselves.

With the new update in Beta, this is fixed. H264 & QT Prores proxies are color managed and are created in the same color space as their original media. Keen users will also notice that when making proxies for HDR clips (Rec. 2100 HLG & PQ) the Low Resolution Proxy options are disabled as those formats don’t support HDR media.

SmitShah_0-1647942465787.png

Low-res Proxies are disabled for HDR media

Note: During proxy creation at ingest, if user choses Low Resolution proxy, clips in HDR color space (Rec. 2100 HLG & PQ) will still create Medium Resolution proxy to support HDR content.

For users opening projects created in older versions, they will continue seeing the mismatch of colors between original media and proxies, and they will have to rebuild their proxies to have the latest changes reflect.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting this out at least to the public beta, Smit. Badly needed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the target release date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never ever given due to the lawyer's for the company.

That said, there's NAB coming up in a couple weeks. They do tend to like to have a new update or version for that. So ... maybe?

We'll all know for sure when it drops. Not before.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This feature is already released!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I started working in the current beta this morning. Here's what I'm experiencing:

- For our current project, shot in Log on a Sony fx9 and begun in 2020, the update to the 2022 version of PPro at first seemed to break the look we had (we were/are using LUTS to achieve our look). Through a highly circuitous process and a lot of luck, I learned that there was a way to override the new, unexplained Interpretation of the footage as being in its color space.

- I then discovered that making proxies using the medium quality QuickTime preset didn't work correctly and the proxies couldn't be made in that version. So I created dummy projects in the 2021 version to create proxies, which then looked correct.

- Now, those proxies don't look right in this Beta. They don't look "double-LUTted" - they just look quite dark.

- Is that expected behavior? Again, note: color saturation is about the same, but it looks like the gamma has been cranked up a lot.

Todd

I had to go back to the 2021 version to create proxies and have them look as similar as possible. For context: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the beginning of the line after my signoff was some abandoned text that I didn't delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've made enough changes in the newer builds to the color handling that the "old" stuff from two builds ago is ... ancient history.

I'll be glad when all the new stuff is fully implemented and we're back to being able to just work without the constant testing & such. But, we're in a transitory period so this is to be expected.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources