• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Now in Beta: Continuous Zoom and Pan now available in Premiere Pro

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note: This feature has been updated, please refer to the ‘Updates’ section at the end of this post.

Whether you’re trying to move titles or graphics more precisely, checking a clip for unwanted artifacts, or getting a closer look at a mask that you’re drawing, starting with Adobe Premiere Pro 24.4 Beta you can freely zoom into and out of the Program, Source, and Reference monitors quickly and conveniently using the scroll behaviour of your mouse, trackpad, or pen and tablet. Additionally, scroll bars appear to show you the position of your content within each Monitor.

PalashSanjayKotgirwar_0-1711304400261.png

Details of this feature’s use include:

• When using mouse scroll wheels, magic mouse scrolling, and tablet scrolling, zooming is anchored to the centre of the monitor view. For these devices, holding Opt/Alt + Scroll lets you zoom into the pointer’s position onscreen, so you can zoom directly into any detail you choose.
  • When using trackpad pinch, zooming is anchored to the cursor. In this case, holding Opt/Alt + pinch lets you zoom while keeping the image centred to the monitor view.
  • Holding the Shift key while zooming with a mouse scroll wheel, trackpad, and wacom pen accelerates zoom so you can get where you need to be faster.
  • Panning is also supported using Mouse Button 3, aka the scroll/middle button.
  • At this time, no panning is available when using a trackpad. However, you can use the 'H' keyboard shortcut to select the Hand tool with which to pan the image freely.

Updates

The following changes appear post Premiere Pro Beta 24.4 Build 44:

• Zooming is always anchored to the position of the cursor, so you can easily position your pointer on or near a detail you’re interested in to zoom straight to it. This is true for all devices including Mouse, Touchpad and Pen/Tablet. Holding Opt/Alt while scrolling lets you zoom while anchoring the image to the center of the monitor view.
  • Decimal zoom percentages are rounded to the nearest integer.
  • To maximize the Monitoring area while providing a consistent behavior, scroll bars have been removed from the view monitor, but this has no effect on panning. To pan vertically and horizontally, click and drag Mouse Button 3, or press 'H' to select the Hand tool with which to move the content.
TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About time! Hope to see this in AE as well very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great, and works as advertised, although I don't quite understand why centering zoom on cursor isn't the default option, instead of the ALT option, since the cursor has to be in the panel for the function to work.  And I also think that any zoom within 1-2% of 100 should automatically jump to 100% for pixel accurate viewing. (I keep finding it at 99.8% and such)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteAnd I also think that any zoom within 1-2% of 100 should automatically jump to 100% for pixel accurate viewing. (I keep finding it at 99.8% and such)

By @Mike McCarthy

Not sure if that is practical. I would rather have a button + assignable hotkey to jump to 100% and back to last zoom position and keep the zoom scroll behavior smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I favor both ideas.  It should snap to 100% (because no one really needs to view at 99.2%) and maybe snap to 'Fit' when you get close to whatever percentage that is for your panel size, but I also like the idea to have buttons & shortcuts available to jump to 100% and to Fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quickly tried the feature out and it works very well and smooth, thanks!
I do have some feedback however...

1. Keyboard shortcuts for zoom in / out are now broken. They make the zoom amount dropdown menu switch from "Full" to the actual current percentage, but zooming in or out doesn't make the viewer jump between the "legacy" default steps seen in the dropdown list.

2. It could be nice to have a zoom to 100% button that you can toggle and add to a viewer's toolbar. Enabling it would jump to 100, disabling jump back to last used scale/position. Additionally an assignable keyboard shortcut for this function.

3. Zooming in without viewer panel focus works (which is what we want) but keyboard shortcuts don't. So jumping back to Fit view requires a mouse click in the window which is annoying. It would be nice that those keyboard shortcuts would be able to discriminate source/program/reference monitor via which one the mouse is hovering over so we don't have to change focus to that window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with #2, woudl like to see a quick "snap to 100%/Fit" option now with this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For #3, adding Fit as one of the steps of the scroll spectrum would offer that option without a mouse click.  Current steps are 7% apart, so they could just add 'Fit' as an option where ever it fits in that spectrum for the current panel resolution.  If Fit happens to be 85% at the moment, then as you scroll, it would go 100%->93%->87%->Fit->81%.  And as long as you land on Fit, it will retain that Fit setting even if you resize the panel. (And make 7% changes from there if you scroll again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be great to get this feature added to the scopes. V useful in Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a keyboard shortcut for FIT that works even when the Program Monitor is not the active panel. I keep finding myself needing to click way too much just to set the zoom to FIT. I do not like extra clicks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and Fit command that works for BOTH Program Monitor and Source Monitor. Currently you need to set up 2 different shortcuts for what is essentially the same command in 2 viewers. Thats a pretty dumb way to "waste" shortcut keys.

The same "fit" shortcut should be able to be used for the similar commands in other panels too, so you could "fit" the timeline with the same shortcut, or scroll to a selected file in a Project Bin panel.

very nice to see middle button drag scroll being implemented in one area in Premiere, this has been long overdue.
Now we just need it everywhere in Premiere, all panels that can be scrolled should be allowed to scroll by holding middle button and drag. This is one of those Quality of Life features that would make a HUGE difference in using Premiere with a Wacom pen daily.
Using Ae and Resolve (and Cinema, Blender, Assimilate and many more apps) that uses this default way to navigate the app is just so more fluid, and Premiere feels so clunky in comparission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This! I keep selecting zoom to fit even though the monitor isn't active. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About time!!!!  Thanks for adding this, even though it's years late.

Now please take a look at the chart in this post that I did years ago, and finish the job already.  🙂  Even though the chart is based on Pr 15.1, a lot of the feedback there is still relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us the possibility to desable this fonction to zoom the source/monitor when scrolling the mouse over!!! this is why i never switch to resolve it so annoying, i just want to shutlle the video whenever the mouse is over the video and not forced to point in a small part to access to the shuttle. Better will be to to be able to turn in circle left/right over the video to jog/shutlle and to dispaly the waveform over the video. So if people need this, ok but put a menu to desable it! thank's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do miss the sliders. Find the middle mouse somewhat clumsy to use.

Most likely the sliders won't be coming back, maybe holding down a modifier key that will change the selection tool into the Hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes a modifer key to get the Hand tool, or a toogle shortcut for the hand tool and release to go back to the previously selected tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you might be aware of a program called photoshop.  People have literally decades of muscle memory pressing the space bar to get the hand tool to move around an image. How many "FF sake's" will ring out over the next few months as people find the exact frame to draw a mask only to lose it as they hit the space bar trying to scroll round the image. 
Oh and middle mouse is already doing something in my OS.  

If adobe introduces something like this they need to have a unified policy so that muscle memory is preserved across the suite

at very least you need the option of a modifer to scroll - alt crl shift or a comabination of all three. THats where my left hand lives, I dont want to have to hunt for the H just to scroll. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often find myself pressing the spacebar+selection tool ...............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They even have it in AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be good if holding the spacebar to scroll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 'spacebar' as we're all used to that. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a great feature, will faster our editing workflow, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Hand Tool (H) is not working in the Program monitor for me when I try to pan vertically or horizontally. It make the fist as if its grabing the frame but doesn't move it. It works as it should in the Source mointor and the Reference monitor but not the Program. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version and OS are you on? I'm using 25.0 b24 and Win 11 23H2.

It's working for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources