• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reference Monitor workflows

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're curious to learn more about how you use PPro's Reference Monitor.

All detailed workflow descriptions appreciated!

TOPICS
Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A long while ago I did use it back when we were still doing color work inside Premiere. But shortly after I stopped doing this because the image shown there wasn't exactly the same as the program monitor. This resulted in a cascade of drifting colors if you were doing things like matching to previous shots. Perhaps this issue is fixed since but haven't had the need to go back to it.

Another odd thing is that the reference monitor is paused on playback when ganged. Same goes for the source monitor. I don't see how that's useful. 

Finally I'd actually be curious to hear why reference monitor even exists in the first place as it is functionally the same as the source monitor but more limited? You can make the argument that this way both can be used at the same time perhaps but do you really do that in a real project? 2 viewers already take up plenty of space.

This reference monitor only shows the opened sequence, you can't put reference clips or other timelines in there which the source monitor can making it superior. Right now the most practical usecase for a reference for my work would be to compare edit versions. That would only be possible if I could open a different sequence (or exported file) in it and have it playback simultaneously with the current timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good details, thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really use it more if there were more options ... for instance, using it similar to SpeedGrade's "2-up" workflow. Where I could quickly set one monitor view to one clip, the other to another clip for accurate comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Reference Monitor gone now?  I used it all the time.  I mostly do Multicam edits.  I set the computer montor on the right with the Program Monitor docked, and the left computer monitor with most of it covered with the Reference Monitor which was undocked.  I would have it sync with the program monitor.  There I was able to view on the left and only go to the Program Monitor when I wanted to add a cut.  Now I have to toggle the Multicam monitor to view the full playing back what I am editing and switch back to Multicam view when I want to make a cut using a number key while it's running.  Toggling multicam stops the playback, and takes more time.   Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks, Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, sorry, the Reference monitor is gone. 

The workflow you described sounds as though it was useful; perhaps keyboard shortcuts can streamline your new workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources