• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Panel Enhancements: Share a transcript with a colleague for correction

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of you have told us that you have a colleague responsible for correcting AI transcripts, and that you want an easy way to share the transcript and get corrections from them. Premiere Pro (Beta) now allows you to send the transcript to your copyeditor to make sure that brand names, lingo, names and titles are properly spelled and capitalized.

Watch the video below to see this workflow:

• Open up the Text Panel and make sure you are viewing the Source transcript
  • In the Overflow menu select Export -> Export to text file
  • Save the text file and send it to your copyeditor for corrections
  • When you receive the corrected file, save it to your desktop 
  • In the Overflow menu select Import -> Import corrected transcript
  • Now you can use your corrected Source transcript to create a transcribed sequence and generate captions

Try it out and let us know how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYmdN-nvQkQ

TOPICS
Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option (Import corrected transcript.txt) is grayed out and can't be accessed. Only (Import static transcript) is available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elliot,

You are probably in the sequence view and have a source clip transcription. To import an edited transcript open the clip in the Source Monitor, and you'll see the option.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please clarify.. I have the same problema and the response does not make sense. Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, same problem, can you help me please? Thx 🙂

Jesus5C09_0-1687304206032.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jesus5C09,

You are in the sequence view of the transcript and have a source transcript. To import corrected of a source transcript, you must be in source view. Double click the clip and you should open in the source view. You have "follow active monitor" disabled, so you'll still have to click the source clip there to see the correct transcript.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok ok thanks! btw, does it work if the clip is already cut?

Jesus5C09_0-1687305796006.png

I've already created an automatic transcription but it was on the program monitor not on source, and I want to import the corrected version to create subtitles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> does it work if the clip is already cut?

I was not satisfied by my earlier tests, and have to do this again. But I'm in the process of installing and starting the new versions and can't test right now.

When you create a source clip transcription, it is of the whole clip. And when you export that transcript as txt, edit, and reimport, it must be back to the whole clip. But in the sequence, where it has been cut, it will show up correctly, and I believe with the edits.

But if you exported .txt from the sequence version, you can't import it as corrected, because the source clip transcript does not match.

I think you can create a static transcription of the sequence, export that as .txt, edit, and import as corrected, but you can't change the sequence between the export and import or it won't match.

But, as I say, I am not sure I have this correct yet.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay okay, thanks you so much 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything you said started to make sense after awhile Stan, yes for an edited (cut up) sequence you would need to make a static transcript and it would enable the correction import. Just had the issue and this was the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything you said started to make sense after awhile Stan, yes for an edited (cut up) sequence you would need to make a static transcript and it would enable the correction import. Just had the issue and this was the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First of all, I hope you will understand everything correctly, I'm not a native english speaker, I'm sorry.

I tried, like @Stan Jones suggest, to create a static transcription of my sequence (with cuts and different clips), but I don't know if it works, nothing happens. Then I export the transcription as a .txt file, try some edits on it with TextEdit application, but the "import as corrected" option is still grayed out. Do I made something wrong? In my way of editing .txt file, or to export? If you have a clue, it would be wonderful! I feel this tool can be very useful, but for the moment it is really hard to understand in my opinion... But it is the begining!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@13 PRODS,

A screenshot might help: Text panel, timeline, and Program Monitor. And on the Text panel, click the 3 dots menu so we can see the options you have there.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jesus5C09,

Please post this same screenshot after you have created a static transcript, but in sequence view, and with the 3 dots -> Import menu expanded.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask, what is the "sequence view" of a transcript, and "source view"?

I imported a file, which was auto transcribed.

I then put it in a sequence in order to create captions.

Noticed some errors, so I went to the "text" window, and did export > text file

Made my corrections in text editor (as the correction process in PP is really bad)

Tried to use "import corrections", and it's greyed out.

So reading the above, I double click the clip in timeline, to open source view of clip.  But then I have to go back to the "text" window, which has not changed, so is still greyed out...

I don't understand the instructions above... Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wcn_dave,

In the Text Panel/Transcript Tab - bottom left, you will see the indicators for Program Monitor (Sequence/timeline) and for Source Monitor. See screenshot below.

If you have a source transcript, and you are in the timeline/sequence/Program monitor view, you can see the transcript of whatever parts are in the sequence. If you have removed parts of the clip, you see only what remains. If it is still the full clip, you see the whole transcript. But for some operations, including editing speaker names and importing a corrected version, you must be in Source Monitor view.

If the "Follow active monitor" is checked, PR automatically changes the Source/Program Monitor selection. Because I think users have fewer problems if they leave "Follow active" on, I recommended opening the clip in the Source monitor (double click), which then gives the Source monitor view when you switch to the transcript tab.

If you have "Follow active" off, and you have the timeline selected, you can just click the Source view button to switch to source view.

Stan

PR Transcript Tab Beta 23_2_0_39 Tooltip Follow Active.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, that's really helpful.  So literally, sequence view is "show the transcript for the sequence", which can have certain actions carried out on it, and source view is "show transcript for source footage", which can have other actions... would be useful if the greyed out option had "switch to source view" or something in there, as it took a long time to find this answer...

Also, I am correcting source transcript, and because the built in editor is very poor, you have to hit enter, then escape to come out, and then spacebar to play, but hard to edit continuously as you're listening... so I had it in a text file.  When I alt-tab to the text file, and listen and correct all at once, and need to pause the video, I alt-tab back to PP, and press space, but the focus auto changes from source to program, and it starts playing the program and everything is in the wrong place and I have to reset it....  really annoying, takes a lot of time...

So the only way to correct whilst listening, and pause the video, (to catch up with typing), is to click on the source panel with mouse, then press space.  As a "power" user trying to go fast, this is a really slow and RSI inducing process....  Any tips on how to overcome this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to take the source transcript and create captions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ATiegs,

Just drag the source to the "new" icon to create a sequence. Then you'll have the option to create captions. Whether you're using a full clip, or an edited sequence of one or more clips so it is not a single, full source transcript, you can create captions without creating a static transcript of the sequence.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense and thanks for the help! It all reality, its two extra steps of 1) importing the final export of a video and 2) re-transcribing that version as the "source."

From there I can use this workflow to export to .txt, have it edited by another team member, then import that file back in and create captions in the new sequence to get a .srt file out of it... which I then have to convert to .vtt.

All in all a lot of steps but I see why they are necessary and still a heck of a lot faster than manual captioning!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your real-life workflow! That appears to work.

I did a few more tests.

If I edit in the sequence view of the source transcript, I can export that result as txt, but I can't import it to the sequence view. But I don't think you have to export/import the final video. Just create a static transcript of the sequence, and export that .txt. and use it for editing the text. A static transcript has the option to import corrected.

If I have a clip in a sequence, with a source transcription and no static transcription, I can create captions of what remains in the sequence after editing the timeline. If I pay attention to the caption segments, and only edit in between or on segment boundaries, the sound is better. Also, if I create captions again after editing, the new captions match the old captions. If I edit in the middle of caption segments, the audio shows the jump, and the old captions match the audio, but are odd compared to edits without the jump.

Also, any sequence captions can be exported as srt.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing a corrected transcript has worked for me on some clips but not all. On problematic imports, I'll get some text  imported but the majority of the transcript does not show up. Instead, most lines are filled with "<Type your caption here>". Is there an obvious reason this would be happening? I don't think it's a formatting issue outside of Premiere since I've run some tests. I have been transcribing external audio source clips vs video clips for a single shoot, but I don't see why that would be a problem. Any insight would be helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems also possible to import a corrected transcript when you've cut up your clips, by creating a nested sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature seems to have a lot of bugs. My assistant corrected the transcript (not in the text file but in a separate project). I then imported those corrected clips into the original project, then exported their corrected transcrtipts as text files and then I imported them back onto the original clips in my project. (I couldn't simply erase the old clips and replace them with new ones because the old clips are being used in various sequences.) When viewing the "corrected" transcript there are now MUCH wider gaps between speakers (you can see that happen in the video you posted above when the new transcript is imported) Also, the speaker names have reverted back to defaults (speaker 1, speaker 2, etc) rather than the corrected speaker names in the new transcript (even though they appear correct when looking directly at the text file) Also breaks between different speakers are often missing. What I assumed would be a helpful time saver has wound up turning into a situation where I have to do the same job twice. Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jasonl22319738,

Last issue first: speaker names cannot be edited via the "import corrected transcript." That would be a feature request. Definitely a good idea, but just not the way it currently works.

When this feature was introduced in Beta (3/3/23; original post above), it was clear that this is a limited "correction." And my tests in the release version (I think 23.4.0) and later Betas is that you cannot make major corrections. I have not confirmed this in the latest Betas. When you make corrections in a version other that the actual export .txt, the import may not work well.

You refer to importing clips. I'm not sure what you are doing. Using this feature, you can only import a corrected transcript to a source transcription or to a sequence, static transcript, depending on what you exported.

I cannot find a link to a method I posted attempting to import an external transcript.

Describe your process a bit more and I'll see if I can help.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources