DISCUSS: Faster warp stabilizer

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just made the Warp Stabilizer way faster!  The warp stabilizer is one of our most popular effects in both Premiere Pro and After Effects and it is known for doing a really high-quality job of stabilizing shaky footage.  We are seeing speeds up to 4 times faster.

Warp StabilizerWarp Stabilizer

What’s different

Stabilization is a two-phase operation

1. Analysis 
  2. Stabilization 

We found that the analysis phase is taking 90-95% of the overall stabilization process.  We took various steps to dramatically improve the time it takes to analyze the shaky footage while leaving the actual stabilization process unchanged.  The result is that the quality of the stabilization is as good as before – just way faster.

AnalysisAnalysisStabilizingStabilizing

Please tell us what YOU think

The improvements are turned on by default so just use the tool like you always do.  If you are happy with the results let us know in the comments below.  If you are NOT happy, definitely let us know in the comments.  You can disable these improvements to go back to the old method to compare the results. 

Uncheck the Fast Analysis box to revert back to the old version of the warp stabilizer.

Fast analysisFast analysis

Question to the beta community

If you are happy with the new results, can we remove the option to use “Fast analysis” and just have it be fast all the time?  Or do you find cases where the old method yields better results?  Please leave comments below.  We really appreciate your participation in the beta discussion!!!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

DISCUSS: Faster warp stabilizer

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just made the Warp Stabilizer way faster!  The warp stabilizer is one of our most popular effects in both Premiere Pro and After Effects and it is known for doing a really high-quality job of stabilizing shaky footage.  We are seeing speeds up to 4 times faster.

Warp StabilizerWarp Stabilizer

What’s different

Stabilization is a two-phase operation

1. Analysis 
  2. Stabilization 

We found that the analysis phase is taking 90-95% of the overall stabilization process.  We took various steps to dramatically improve the time it takes to analyze the shaky footage while leaving the actual stabilization process unchanged.  The result is that the quality of the stabilization is as good as before – just way faster.

AnalysisAnalysisStabilizingStabilizing

Please tell us what YOU think

The improvements are turned on by default so just use the tool like you always do.  If you are happy with the results let us know in the comments below.  If you are NOT happy, definitely let us know in the comments.  You can disable these improvements to go back to the old method to compare the results. 

Uncheck the Fast Analysis box to revert back to the old version of the warp stabilizer.

Fast analysisFast analysis

Question to the beta community

If you are happy with the new results, can we remove the option to use “Fast analysis” and just have it be fast all the time?  Or do you find cases where the old method yields better results?  Please leave comments below.  We really appreciate your participation in the beta discussion!!!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 22, 2020 5
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About time. I'm sure this was a top 5 user voice post on a regular basis look forward to trying this out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay this is exciting news....

Can I add one suggestion for the team,  can you add a way to "exclude" parts of the frame from how itcalculates the stabilze?  Not sure how big of deal it would be to most people, but I sometimes find that it helps to have a way to ignor parts of the video frame.  Right now if Warp Stabilize fails to work well enough, I switch over to Mocha (so I can exclude stuff), but I prefer the simplicty and more automatic modes of Warp Stabilize. 

As a second suggestion,  can you make it so that if you are doing multiple clips at the same time, that it works better when you have 10 clips or more being processed.  I like to have it process the footage, then tweak the settings for each clip.

Would be nice to also add ability after a past effect command to automaticaly start the process too :-), not trying to be greedy, but I had to ask.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2020 2
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also add, please find a way to speed up saving process. It appears Warp Stabilize saves the data inside the project file, and when you have any notable amount of clips with stabilize effects, the saving process is dramaticaly slow.  It would be nice if the stabilize data was stored seperate from the project file, and that way any save requests would be fast.

Something that maybe would be worth while doing short term, is at least with auto-save, to avoid resavings the stabilze data.  I have projects that can take over 5 min to save because of the stabilization data in an autosave.  My system is not slow, everything is on seperate NVME drives, 128GB and an RTX 3090 video card...  the warp stabilize contributes significantly to the save time of projects files and slows down the edits.  I have resorted to stabilization, then export each clip, and then import them back into the project to avoid this limitation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2020 1
ajiturbe LATEST
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to make premiere go as fast as Davinci, use the cpu to the fullest, if not people are going to davinci because adobe is very, very slow. Please there are many working on it, do it now or it will be too late and They will all migrate to DaVINCI, which from what I see on YouTube are already leaving. Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2020 0