• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

23.1 Update GUI Slowly Becomes Sluggish While Working, Restart Fixes

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have this issue on 23.0, but 23.1 now the GUI slowly becomes more laggy until it's annoying enough to make me restart, which then solves the laggy GUI issue, but then it slowly comes back as I work.

I am on a 2017 iMac currently. 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 64GB of RAM, 2TB SSD, and Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. This happens both with project files created in 23.0 and new ones created in 23.1.

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, ghuff,

I'm Kevin from Adobe Support. It sounds like a disturbing error you are having there. Sorry about that. I have a similar machine but I'm not seeing anything yet that resembles your problem during my own editing sessions (I am also an editor).

Though I'm not a dev, I'll try to help troubleshoot while we await a response. In Media Preferences, you can disable hardware-accelerated decoding on the GPU. That will take effect after a reboot. See if that works.

More info will also help the team: How do I write a bug report?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, I disabled hardware-accelerated decoding on the GPU and restarted the whole system and the the problem still continues.

I am on macOS Monterey 12.6.1. Video format has been both XF-AVC 10-bit 4:2:2 MXF files and ProResLT files in a multicam setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I think it still may be media related. What happens with a test project and only the ProRes files? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that this project was a mixture of both. The current project I am working on is a brand-new project started today with a multicam of three angles that are all ProResLT files.

A project I was working on yesterday was a project upgraded into Premiere v23.0 that was a multicam of 2 XF-AVC 1080 10-bit 4:2:2 clips LongGOP and a MP4 encoded out of Resolve.

Both of these projects exhibit the same behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. I am trying to get this bug some attention today. Sorry about this, my friend.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I was pretty sure it was a bug because it has just started happening since the update to 23.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that I am using the AVCHD source because of a bug in the ProRes recordings that put the sound out of sync, so I'm using that to fix that, then deleting the clip. This is when the GUI slowdown occurs, even though I delete the clip once I make sure the ProRes audio is back in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ghuff,

I have seen complaints with AVCHD footage as of late related to the audio codec. AVCHD audio is usually reliant on the OS to deliver support. Your info helped. I will involve the product team, as it's affecting many editors.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update on this, new project created in 23.1, still having this same issue where the GUI slowly becomes sluggish while I work, necessitating a restart of the project. Closing the project and re-opening it fixes this issue until it slowly becomes sluggish again.

In this new project my source media is ProRes LT files, and XF-AVC 10-bit 4:2:2 1080 LongGOP from Canon EOS Cinema cameras. I am creating multicams. There is no AVCHD material of any kind in this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same issue and I realized that for me it can also be reset by just closing and opening the sequence in question.

Also downgrading to 23.0 solved the issue for good.

Hope that helps until the issue is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Same set up as ghuff, same issue. I'll get the specs on my footage and reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ghuff,

It sounds like a memory leak. Are you using any third-party plug-ins for audio or video?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Scott,

It could be a memory leak. Are you using any third-party plug-ins for audio or video?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using any third-party plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's one thing we can count as a no go. Thanks, man.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I have quite a few that I use.

Do you mean installed overall, or just on my current timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Looks like it doesn't matter, as third-party effects aren't in play with the bug. Thanks for the info, though. I am sifting through multiple reports trying to find common threads. Let me know any other observations you have. I'll compile them.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Also have the same problem with a big project (6h30 of footage : 5K R3D, 4K H.264)
Absolutely everything has been transcoded in ProRes LT. Disk speed are more than good, RTX 3080 with 528.02 Studio drivers).
Only solution is to regularey quit and relaucnh Pr. I will try the  23.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrade to 23.0 on the same computer, same project. Everything went back to normal behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Any resolution on this issue? I started a new project yesterday. It's an onsite edit for a 3-day client meeting with very quick turnarounds. I am still having the same issue, this time with different footage (specs below). Very frustrating to have to close the timeline and reopen every 3-4 edits, but more importantly I am losing valuable time. 

Video data block #1: Frame Size = 4096 x 2160

Compressor = Apple ProRes 422

Quality = Most (5.00)

Audio data block #1:

Format = 24 bit - 4 channels

Rate = 48000 Hz Compressor = in24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @just edit - 

Thanks for reporting on the issue. The team thought it might be related to H.264 files causing a memory leak, but you are using ProRes. Are H.264 proxies attached?

I didn't have anything to report since yesterday, but an active investigation is ongoing. I'll dig in today to see if any news has arisen to help you.

Again, thanks for the message!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I am not using proxy workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

My project is a 10 mins timeline with mixed footage of 5K R3D, 4K H.264 (Canon R5) and 4K drone footages (H.264)

95% of the medias has been proxified in ProRes 422 Proxy (same resolution / fps as original footages). I'm editing with proxies attached (of course).

Hope this helps.

noar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

idem in premiere 23.1

Mac Studio M1 Ultra / OS 12.6

v23 work fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just wanted to add my experience.

I'm cutting audio, wav-files. Almost no video, except for a small segment (<2min) of a prores mov and h264 mp4 and a few AE dynamic link compositions. Very simple project with 6 audio tracks (dialogues with few sounds and bit of music).

After 10 min or so the UI becomes sluggish. Scrolling the timeline, scrubbing the playhead, marking clips becomes so slow and unresponsive. It looks like it's running at 20fps instead of 60.

Closing the timeline and reopening it fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate